Which coil?

-

remytherat

Reaction score
Stock mopar electronic ignition. Can I use a pertronix flame thrower ii coil (0.6ohm primary)? If so should I bypass the coil side of the ballast resistor?

Stock mopar electronic ignition. Can I use a pertronix flame thrower ii coil (0.6ohm primary)? If so should I bypass the coil side of the ballast resistor?
Regardless of the coil used, you cannot bypass the ballast. If the ignition box sees a full 12V it will eventually burn out. I use a standard blue streak coil on mine and it works just fine. UC12-X is the part number.

I was thinking of bypassing just to the coil, leaving the box connected through the other side of the 4 pin ballast

I use the Accel 8140 coil (1.4 ohm primary) with the stock ballast resistor - Factory electronic ignition.

For the record...

If you originally had a 5 pin ECU you need the 4 post ballast.

If you originally had the 4 pin ECU you don't need a 4 pin ballast, as the ECU is internally regulated.

The 5th pin was the power to run some of the electronics.

The 4 pin did away with that.

Also if you changed out your 5 pin for a 4 pin ECU you don't need the 4 post ballast.

For the record...

If you originally had a 5 pin ECU you need the 4 post ballast.

If you originally had the 4 pin ECU you don't need a 4 pin ballast, as the ECU is internally regulated.

The 5th pin was the power to run some of the electronics.

The 4 pin did away with that.

Also if you changed out your 5 pin for a 4 pin ECU you don't need the 4 post ballast.
If it was mine, and it originally had the 5 pin ballast, I'd get the 4 pin harness just to do away with that and convert to the 4 pin harness and two pin ballast. Those harnesses were sometimes a point of contention. I have a friend who found out the hard way.

, I'd get the 4 pin harness just to do away with that and convert to the 4 pin harness and two pin ballast
You can plug a 4 pin into a 5 pin harness, the 5th pin just sits there and is not attached to anything.

You can not go the other way.

You can plug a 4 pin into a 5 pin harness, the 5th pin just sits there and is not attached to anything.

You can not go the other way.
Right. I realize that. But the original 5 pin harnesses had a propensity for issues. I've seen several myself. I would just change it. Just my personal opinion. But we all know I'm mentally ill.

But we all know I'm mentally ill.
Aren't we all... We are into Mopars!

I did not realize the wiring issue as you described.

I thought you were saying that you had to replace the harness if you went to a 4 pin.

My mental illness is missing reading posts among others?
:rofl:

Aren't we all... We are into Mopars!

I did not realize the wiring issue as you described.

I thought you were saying that you had to replace the harness if you went to a 4 pin.

My mental illness is missing reading posts among others?
:rofl:
Oh no. I've seen several instances where "something" in those original 5 pin harnesses shorted and melted that harness. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I've seen several in junkyards like that and I had a friend who had one fail......although he admitted he "mightta" done something to make it happen. lol

Using a 0.6 ohm coil, with or without the bal res, will create issues. Without the bal res, it will probably take out the power trans in/on the ECU from current overload.
The ECU is designed to use a 1.5 ohm coil with a 0.5 ohm BR.

You could use the 0.6 ohm coil & improve your ign system at the same time by eliminating the ECU & bal resistors & using a GM HEI module. Simple, easy, better, pics on the net.

You have to use a coil that has a 1.5 ohm .6 is for the pertronix 2 only and the .32 is Pet III and the gm set up only. Have to have the components matched properly to work well and stay working.

Just fyi

ecu III.png

ECUApplication.jpg

Last edited:
1.5 ohm coil around a .8-1 ohm ballast works well with them. Not sure of the Accel ohms on that. The higher the resistance the less RPM max usually.

-
Back