which coupler?

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket adaptor hooks up to an otherwise factory stock power setup, that is a "formerly" power column.

So manual box............aftermarket adapter.........factory power column

The aftermarket adaptor hooks up to an otherwise factory stock power setup, that is a "formerly" power column.

So manual box............aftermarket adapter.........factory power column

and if the manual box has a coupler, and the power steering column has a coupler, which coupler do I use? The power steering coupler your saying?

you only need 1 coupler. All the convertor does is extend the splined input shaft of the manual box out to the same length as the longer power box's input so your power column (thats shorter than a manual column) will reach the steering box: Short power column- U joint thingy-adapter-manual box...Kapish?

Alright, so the coupler doesn't matter. just put the adaptor on the manual box and it will work with the power steering coupler. got it.

Or if you never want to touch or repair that set up again,
you can buy a u-joint similar to a rack set up that will fit both shafts and have less play in steering system. Bought mine on egay for $30.

Food for thought.

D

Or if you never want to touch or repair that set up again,
you can buy a u-joint similar to a rack set up that will fit both shafts and have less play in steering system. Bought mine on egay for $30.

Food for thought.

D
got a part number? 30 sounds nice.. :)

Also, depending on how much travel in steering column,
might have to cut column shaft inch or so.

D

Thanks mycuda!!! I will check out all options... :) It appears the smooth end gets welded??

FWIW, (and yours or others' mileage may vary) but I had trouble with the Firm Feel style adapter in the first picture. The splines were too loose for my taste at the box. They sent me a second one to try but it had the same issue. Ultimately, the refunded my money. I ended up lengthening my steering shaft and using a stock manual coupler - zero play. I'll probably switch to a Flaming River or similar in the future.

Not saying you or anyone else will have issues with the Firm Feel - that was just my experience - just throwing it out for consideration.

[ame]https://youtu.be/QqkIJlxkEKg[/ame]

-
Back