Which Distributor?

-

cb66valiant

Reaction score
I've got a 340 in this Valiant of mine.

What vacuum advance distributor would you recommend to run? (Mopar, MSD, MAllory)

Not currently running with the advance. Just think it would be better for street purposes. Mostly street driven, but some strip (8.90's 1/8 mile). Going to put MSD ignition on it in the spring too.

Thanks ahead for the feedback,
cb66

The Mopar Performance distributor uses the Mallory advance mechanism so you get the same mechanical and vacuum advance adjust-ability of the Mallory with the parts store availability of factory Caps, Rotors and the Pick-up.

The Mallory and MSD have a better made housing with bearings (the MP has no bearings) and will last longer. They use different Caps, Rotors and Pick-ups than the factory so those parts aren't as readily available. They also cost more.

Anyone of them will do the job for you. You will need to weight whether parts availability with lower cost is more desirable than better construction with less parts availability.

this is what I'm using. Comes complete with rotor, cap and has adjustable vacuum advance already.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ect_20630335-P_218_R|GRPTUNEAMS_1582604563___

That's a stock replacement distributor. If you have a modified motor it likely has too much mechanical and the advance rate will be too slow. The rate can be changed with a spring swap but the amount of mechanical advance isn't as easy to change (requires disassembling and welding up the slots). But for a stock motor that will work just fine.

my engine is mildly modded (roller cam, mild port job, bigger SS valves, eddy intake & carb, 9.2:1 comp) with a little stall in the converter. Works fine for me and I got it plugged into a Summit CD ignition box with a MSD coil.

Since your going to put in an MSD box you might as well stay with the same for compatability. I didn't realize the MP unit didn't have bearings like the Mallory or MSD. They all work great so you need to decide on how much you want to spend. As an after thought check with Don at www.4secondsflat.com He has a system that is stock appearing but is a high output unit. He will also build you a distrbutor that is custom tailored to your application. I run his stuff on my street/strip dart and I run all MSD on my race dart. There has been several times at the track where racers have been looking for a spare MSD box to borrow because their's quit. Electronics of any brand will have failures.

the advance IS adjustable, unlike the MP one,.....

The mechanical advance in the MP distributor is adjustable. Since about 02 the MP distributor has been made by Mallory using the Mallory adjustable mechanical advance mechanism. Below the pick-up plate where the advance weights and springs are there are two button head screws that can be loosened to allow you to set stops to adjust how much mechanical is in the distributor.

my engine is mildly modded (roller cam, mild port job, bigger SS valves, eddy intake & carb, 9.2:1 comp) with a little stall in the converter. Works fine for me and I got it plugged into a Summit CD ignition box with a MSD coil.

It will work but you are certainly not getting all the engine has to offer if you just installed the distributor with making modifications to it.

-
Back