Which Engine Rebuild Book??

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to go out and get an engine rebuild book for small block mopars..I seen a post on here about Larry Shepard, and I googled and came up with Tom Monroe. I dont want to do anything radical. I can take one apart and put back together, but would like to learn about solid lifters, degree wheels for the cams, etc. Basically how changing or upgrading one component can affect the other components. For example, I have a 69 340 4 spd and would like to swap the 4bbl intake for a sixpack, and can this be done without having to change anything else??? any recommendations would be appreciated.

I want to go out and get an engine rebuild book for small block mopars..I seen a post on here about Larry Shepard, and I googled and came up with Tom Monroe. I dont want to do anything radical. I can take one apart and put back together, but would like to learn about solid lifters, degree wheels for the cams, etc. Basically how changing or upgrading one component can affect the other components. For example, I have a 69 340 4 spd and would like to swap the 4bbl intake for a sixpack, and can this be done without having to change anything else??? any recommendations would be appreciated.

I wouldn't do the six pack. for what it would cost to by all of it and get it set up you could make more power, spending it else ware. Not saying the six pack its not a good package.

The first thing you need is a book that give eng spec's find one of these at you local parts store for you eng year.

2nt book i would recommended, is a book called "How to build a BIGH-INCH Mopar Small Block". It's Publiced by S-A Design

Lots of picture and lot of real good info, even if you aren't planning on stroking it.

I'm sure other will have some good book too recommend as well.

Get the Larry Shepard book "How to Hot Rod Small-Block Mopar" !!! I have rebuilt a bunch of smallblocks and I still pull it off the shelf every time!

How to Rebuild Small Block Mopar Engines, by Don Taylor/Larry Hofer.

Great book,geared more towards rebuilding small blocks,compared to hopping them up. Still tons of great info in this book.

Covers LA Series Engines 273,318,340,TA340,360

Since nobody else actually said it, Yes, the six pack will bolt straight onto an LA engine, as long as the engine doesn't have Magnum heads.

Thanks for the book recommendations guys! The 69 340 is bone stock, I have had the heads done with hardened valve seats and cleaned up thats about it. I want to give it maybe a little more "lump", and was curious if a relatively "stock" 340 could handle a 6-pack? It would be nice when I went out to shows if I could swap 4bbl and intake for the sixpack set up?
Thanks!

Thanks for the book recommendations guys! The 69 340 is bone stock, I have had the heads done with hardened valve seats and cleaned up thats about it. I want to give it maybe a little more "lump", and was curious if a relatively "stock" 340 could handle a 6-pack? It would be nice when I went out to shows if I could swap 4bbl and intake for the sixpack set up?
Thanks!

A 340 six pack will work just fine even on a stock 340, if it is set up right.
Grate throttle response from the two barrel and 4 more barrel to keep it kicking on top...........

Just a lot of cash.

this one

Photo 560.jpg

Justin, Look like your about due for a new one there:-D

I gotta second that LOL... maybe you should laminate it and put it in a museum?:toothy10:

To the OP, i have the larry shepherd book and its pretty good...there is a mopar parts slant to it, but its still good for general info..and swapping a six pack just for shows is probably something i wouldnt want to do everytime i went to a show, but thats just me

-
Back