Which Fram Oil Filter.

-

lsrguy2007

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 225 engine. I was looking for a Fram oil filter for it and came up with PH16. Says it replaced the PH43. Does that sound correct to o anyone? Thanks.

I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 225 engine. I was looking for a Fram oil filter for it and came up with PH16. Says it replaced the PH43. Does that sound correct to o anyone? Thanks.
None. Don't use Fram. They are poor quality.

How come? I've used the Ph8 (long 43) for 25 years on the slant in my 87 Ram. 400K and still running strong. Just my personal experience.
Ever watch a video of a fram ph8a cut open? Not the same filter from 20 years ago. Garbage.

How come? I've used the Ph8 (long 43) for 25 years on the slant in my 87 Ram. 400K and still running strong. Just my personal experience.
I consider you lucky. Google fram failure if you want to know why. I worked in the Automotive industry for almost 10 years and I’ve only seen 3 catastrophic engine failures caused by a defective oil filter. Same brand and part number filter. I’ll give you 1 guess which brand was on all three.

I put a WIX on my first gen Cummins truck before I parked it last season before I stored it for the winter. In the spring, it was running in the driveway when I noticed a huge pile of oil under it. The crimped seam that holds the threaded portion to the canister was leaking like a sieve. I contacted WIX via E-mail looking for a replacement voucher, and they didn't even have the time or courtesy to respond.

I agree with none of them. Motorcraft FL1A is a good filter.

Highlights from the article;

“Mopar oil Filters are made by companies like Purolater , Champions Lab, or WIX.”

“See, although there are plenty of oil filter brands in the USA, all of them are made by 3 to 4 manufacturers. They are Purolator, Wix, and Champions lab. Mopar filters were also used to be made by FRAM as well. But for some reason, Mopar didn’t continue their contact with FRAM.”

Where Are Mopar Oil Filters Made?​

Purolator​

Purolator has facilities built in Fayetteville, North Carolina, where they manufacture oil filters for Mopar and other brands.

Champions lab​

Champions lab currently has two factories in the USA, known to be in Illinois and South Carolina.

WIX​

WIX has two oil filter plants in the USA right now. One is in North Carolina, and the other is in South Carolina.

Are Mopar Filters Made In China?​

It is possible that some parts of the Mopar Filter are Made In China. Because both Champions Lab and WIX are known to have plants set up one China. Although they may not make 100% of the oil filters in their Chinese plants, it’s quite likely some parts of their oil filters are made in China to reduce cost.”

IMG_7654.png

Thanks. I use mopar on my small blocs and motorcraft fl1a on my big block but I paint it black. Would never hear the end from my ford buddies.

I just stocked-up on some Wix filters at O'Reilly's a few weeks back, and thankfully I opened them up before I took them to the checkout, as a couple of them said "Made in China" on them. Same P/N, same box/packaging, but the filters were labeled differently inside.

I haven't seen this at NAPA yet, and Gold only knows what you'll get if you order Wix filters from Rock Auto....

Anyway, back to the OP's question: Which Fram filter? A: None of them. See above responses.

Fram got bought out and the quality nosedived
I read either here or on moparts that Fram filters have been cheaply constructed since the 1970s. Recently I watched a video by Whip City Wrencher. A viewer sent him a brand new unopened box with a Fram filter from 1979. Sure enough- it had the cardboard end cap. To be clear- the Fram will not destroy your engine. The objection- in my opinion is for the same price and less- a filter can be purchased that uses steel for end caps. For now- even the WelfareMart Super Tech filters have metal end caps with less glue globbed around and straighter neater filter media. I buy oil filters in bulk from Rock Auto and have a fully stocked cabinet.

I realize that Fram filters have a bad reputation. I have always used the Fram 43 on my barracuda because of a header clearance issue. The 43 is a little bit shorter than the 16. I bought several of them several years ago, and my car is due an oil change now. I am looking for a replacement for the PH 43. I have always had good luck with the Fram brand, but I trust my FABO buddies when they say that Fram is not as good as it used to be.

I realize that Fram filters have a bad reputation. I have always used the Fram 43 on my barracuda because of a header clearance issue. The 43 is a little bit shorter than the 16. I bought several of them several years ago, and my car is due an oil change now. I am looking for a replacement for the PH 43. I have always had good luck with the Fram brand, but I trust my FABO buddies when they say that Fram is not as good as it used to be.
That's the problem with social media. I've never had a problem with Fram. I never wiped my flat tappet Comp Cam either.

I put a WIX on my first gen Cummins truck before I parked it last season before I stored it for the winter. In the spring, it was running in the driveway when I noticed a huge pile of oil under it. The crimped seam that holds the threaded portion to the canister was leaking like a sieve. I contacted WIX via E-mail looking for a replacement voucher, and they didn't even have the time or courtesy to respond.
Sounds right
Just buy NAPA if u have a store around you and they would honor such failures

If the choice of oil filters was Group 7 or Fram, I'd choose the cheap Group 7. That is how much I don't like the basic fram filters.

Fram might very well be the worst filter money can buy. I ain't the picky type on filters but do avoid them

-
Back