Which Fram Oil Filter.

-
I believe Fram was bought or or purchased by Allied Signal in the 80’s. They sucked up I believe (don’t hold me to it) champion and a few others. It was that point Fram went down hill. As far as I am concerned. After that point the Housing was easier to crush taking off and honestly after watching a few videos on boob tube present day, I was shocked how after like 7-12psi most of the filters go into bypass mode anyhow. The filter becomes worthless. Most of the time your engine is at 30-60psi. So if oil is leaking by (or gushing by) for that matter… is no filter better for engine flow? The best filters are centrifuge style. There are racing high flow filters that catch like 90% of the debris. If a factory puts a screw on filter on a car and has to guarantee that engine for 30,000miles or more with just an oil and filter change every 5,000miles then I guess pick the filter you like.

No, Fram has always been junk. I've seen cut apart ones LONG before that, probably the first were mag articles in the early 70's, and first hand with a Wix rep cutting open several about 74-75

No, Fram has always been junk. I've seen cut apart ones LONG before that, probably the first were mag articles in the early 70's, and first hand with a Wix rep cutting open several about 74-75
We ran all Fram products back in the late seventies and early eighties without any issues. I've never had one crush on me either. I haven't used them in years but when I did they were fine

There better Fram oil filters, but most fram buyers get what's in stock, which is the inferior filters. Just spend a tiny bit extra and buy a better OEM or equivalent or better filter.

I drive a Ferd
The Motorcraft filter costs 12.99
The Fram filter cost 10.99
That's a two dollar difference. If anyone needs to pinch pennies that hard on one oil filter, then they have some serious problems.

Oil filters are made for the OEM by the outside supplier who will be the cheapest and meet the OEM's specs for an oil filter. I spent 42 years in engine plants (non Chrysler) and we would see supplier changes on oil filers every year or two. And it was all based on the cost from the supplier. If Brand "A" can make the filter to spec if $0.015 cents less than Brand "B", they'll get the contract to supply.

It's like everything else in this world: Follow the money.

Late to the party, but Fram realized the entire internet was trash talking them and they redesigned their filters years ago. At this point, it's an internet rumor.

Thanks. I use mopar on my small blocs and motorcraft fl1a on my big block but I paint it black. Would never hear the end from my ford buddies.
I don't paint crap. I run the Motorcraft FL299 on my Valiant and my Ford truck. To heck with the haters.

Late to the party, but Fram realized the entire internet was trash talking them and they redesigned their filters years ago. At this point, it's an internet rumor.
What's the rumor? That Fram is crap or that they redesigned their filters? I ain't findin out. lol

Lol ,,,,

This always gets funny to me,,,,,,I laugh every time I see a post like this !

I have an old Toyota pickup built in Van Nuys California ,,,,,94 model,,,,it has 538,000 + miles .
I put all of those miles on it !

I drive currently a 2000 Accord,,,,,,it has 421,000 + miles on it ,,,,,,I put the last 125,000 on it myself after I purchased it from my daughter .
Runs like a champ,,,,the truck too !
I service them myself,,,,,oil and filters !

These vehicles have been run hard on the interstate,,,,,always at the max of the speed limit,,,if not a little more,,,,lol .

The things they have in common are Fram filters and Valvoline oil .
I use Pennzoil in the accord now,,,,,I use 5W20 ,,,,it gets a little better mileage and has a little more power .
None of these vehicles have ever had a bearing problem or internal component issue,,,,,none use any oil between changes either !

Use whichever filter you choose ,,,,,most are pretty good .
But I think I have real world experience in my examples,,,,and i don’t work for an oil company or a filter business .
I’m not pushing one over the other.

I don’t care really,,,I just try to make my own decisions and learn from them .

A lot of good oils,,,,and filters,,to choose from ,,,most are perfectly fine !
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet,,,,or even the videos,,,,someone might be leading you to believe that the sky is falling.

A good con man works at his craft,,,,he can make you believe anything !

Tommy

Lol ,,,,

This always gets funny to me,,,,,,I laugh every time I see a post like this !

I have an old Toyota pickup built in Van Nuys California ,,,,,94 model,,,,it has 538,000 + miles .
I put all of those miles on it !

I drive currently a 2000 Accord,,,,,,it has 421,000 + miles on it ,,,,,,I put the last 125,000 on it myself after I purchased it from my daughter .
Runs like a champ,,,,the truck too !
I service them myself,,,,,oil and filters !

These vehicles have been run hard on the interstate,,,,,always at the max of the speed limit,,,if not a little more,,,,lol .

The things they have in common are Fram filters and Valvoline oil .
I use Pennzoil in the accord now,,,,,I use 5W20 ,,,,it gets a little better mileage and has a little more power .
None of these vehicles have ever had a bearing problem or internal component issue,,,,,none use any oil between changes either !

Use whichever filter you choose ,,,,,most are pretty good .
But I think I have real world experience in my examples,,,,and i don’t work for an oil company or a filter business .
I’m not pushing one over the other.

I don’t care really,,,I just try to make my own decisions and learn from them .

A lot of good oils,,,,and filters,,to choose from ,,,most are perfectly fine !
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet,,,,or even the videos,,,,someone might be leading you to believe that the sky is falling.

A good con man works at his craft,,,,he can make you believe anything !

Tommy
I don't know how pennzoil is today but I remember my dad getting a letter on the problems that people were having with pennzoil, mostly lots of sludge build up. I think valvoline is good oil. Main thing is maintaining your equipment

I found loose metal shavings in the last 2 Fram filters I bought. That's as bad as a rattlesnake in a sleeping bag or scorpions in my boots. A do not proceed message if there ever was one.

I retired from one of the "Big 3" auto companies - worked on engines my whole life. We got our failed engines under warranty back for review to see what we could learn. Obviously you're looking for any type of mfg defects or concerns (typically debris if they were very low mile engines) so changes could be made as needed.

One thing we did was keep track of oil filter brand on the returned engines. There's no way to know the total maintenance history on the engine unless it was serviced at the dealer. So our filter brand sampling is not a perfect methodology for analysis. Nevertheless, when you plot up the failures, you see a natural curve of failures by brand. Let's just say Fram was over-represented in our samples. Leave it at that.

I've said it before that the aftermarket brands have no way to do all the testing and development the OEM's do for their filters. From oil pump relief valve interaction to bypass valve settings to system harmonics, etc, etc, they have no way to do this testing under all the various conditions the OEM's do. The aftermarket guys try to make as many "1 size fits all" as they can to cover as mych of the market as they can and to keep costs and proliferation down. This is one reason they are typically way more represented in the failures observed. OEM filters were developed for and with the engines they go on.

That being said, what do we put on these old engines we work on? I'm not convinced all of the requirements have been kept intact for the last 50+ years. But I'm sure not going to use a filter that was over-represented in the failure pool!!

-
Back