Which Headers fit the best?

-

MrMopar

Reaction score
I know this topic has been raised many times but I am going to instal some new headers in my 72 340 Dart Swinger and would like to know what you guys are running and if they fit good without a lot of dents and dings. I have power steering and don't want to lose it and I cannot afford TTI's. My MP headers fit awful and have many dents and are hitting against most of the steering parts. There is a set of ceramic coated Hooker competition headers that I may be able to get for a good price but if they don't fit well, no price is good. Please help make up my mind for me. Thanks guys.

I have the hooker ceramic coated comp headers. I DO NOT have power steering. The center link runs through drivers side header. It was no rougher than any other headers. They do fit well. You will have to lose the
stock starter and go with a mini starter, if you ever want to change the starter without removing the header. By the way they do hang low. I mean LOW on drivers side. Check out picture below..

Ya, thats about how low my MP headers hang but thats not an issue, just as long as they don't hit everything in their path like the torsion bars, steering linkage, etc. I REALLY had to bang up my MP headers to the point to where one pipe on the pass. side is really restricted. I will never buy MP headers again for any car.

MrMopar said:
I REALLY had to bang up my MP headers to the point to where one pipe on the pass. side is really restricted. I will never buy MP headers again for any car.

It's unusual that the passenger side had to be banged up. The drivers side is the problem side, especially with the hookers....headers that this :geek:

HawaiiDuster said:
MrMopar said:
I REALLY had to bang up my ......

the problem, especially with the hookers...

Isn't it fun to selectively edit a conversation?

I have a set of Hooker super comps that I can't wait to take off. They hang so low that it's not if, but when you flatten them, they leak, stock starter clearance is a joke, and they hit the steering linkage.

In a word: They suck. Much like their namesake....

From what I've heard save up & get the TTI's. I'm sorry I didn't... :(

Ya, that is funny, hmmmmm, now I am really unsure what to get. I need more info. Believe it or not the MP headers fit better on the driver side, just had to cave them in to clear the power steering box and dent them in to clear the torsion bar and smack them to clear the steering linkage. There was way more damage on the passenger side. It was soooooo much fun. They will come out with a sawsall for sure!! Save up for TTI? Don't think I will live that long, LOL. I am in Canada where all performance parts cost double........if you get a good deal.

MrMopar said:
Save up for TTI? Don't think I will live that long, LOL. I am in Canada where all performance parts cost double........if you get a good deal.

Wow.... sorry to hear that. Maybe you should be buying a welder instead! :D

I know some of our out-of-country brethern pay ridiculous tarrifs and penalties on our products. From what I have heard, Sweden & Australia are probably the worst. But I agree: No F`in way would I pay $1,300+ for a set of headers.

Although replacing a crappy set with good ones can add up too. :drunken:

I have power steering and I am using headman headers for abodies. Drop link goes through drivers side also and hangs real low also. You have to flaten out the one pipe that goes around the power steering pretty good. I also had to clearance for the idler arm too but I think that has to do with because I got it from Napa cause I know other people with these headmans that didn't have to clearance for it.

Welding up a set would be a good idea, if I was that talented, but i will have to leave that up to the people who can. I am starting to lean towards the Ceramic coated Hooker Competition headers. Someone stop me if I am wrong. I have 1 more day to decide.

I have no idea what my headers are, they are just a cheap pair that came with the car when I bought it. They clear everything, though, including my power steering. They do hang low on the driver side. They are comp headers with the steering link going through the left header.

I was thinking about Hookers, but if they aren't going to fit any better than these, I may just get these coated.

I have the hooker competition headers on my Valiant and I love them. The gasket plate is nice and thick so no warping, the (hard to get to bolt holes) you guys know which ones I'm refering too, are cut so you can slide the bolt in from the side instead of going straight in. I had Headmans before these, never again, :x The leaked on me all the time. For the money if really like my Hookers :wink: (you know what I mean) And if you get a set I want you stickers!! :lol:

Thank you 71Valiant, thats just what I needed to hear. I am not too concerned about how low the headers hang as I don't go over any real rough roads to bother them. I just wanted to know which headers FIT without banging them up to miss all the components. Thanks to all of you for your valued opinions.

MrMopar said:
Thank you 71Valiant, thats just what I needed to hear. I am not too concerned about how low the headers hang as I don't go over any real rough roads to bother them. I just wanted to know which headers FIT without banging them up to miss all the components. Thanks to all of you for your valued opinions.

Ussually for me its not rough roads but the low speed parking/driveway obsticles that make me bottom out.

-
Back