Which heads and cam?

-

adamsredlines

'69 Dart
Reaction score
318 based 390 stroker. It currently has 360 heads (stock) and no cam. It also has adjustable roller rockers. The car will be a street/strip car w/ a 727, around a 3k stall and 4.10s. Rotating assembly is forged and set up for 10.3:1 compression when using the heads mentioned.

Im all ears here, I come from the modern hemi world where there's not really very many cam choices and most of them are pretty similar.

The weak point will be the heads, with adjustable rockers I would say to go with a solid flat tappet style cam.

if you have ready to run heads, it would easier and cheaper to just have them ported.
if you don't have ready to run head$ then maybe look at buying a set of RHS heads.

Thats the best advice I can give you on heads.

On the cam, solid roller will make the most power, hyd roller second, solid flat tappet 3rd, then hyd flat tappet in regards to hp from a given lift & duration

Its hard to go wrong with simply following the recommendations/guidelines given by manufacturer.

And if you knew at what lift the head flow peaked, that would greatly help in figuring the amount of lift required, the rest fall s into place.

The heads are good and I will probably get them ported but for now they are stock.

How big od an adventure is it to swap to solid rollers?

I need at minimum new cam, lifters and pushrods. The rest of the motor should be good, just needing to have the rings/bearings checked.

A roller would definitely exploit the flow of which ever heads you choose to use.

I believe there are comp cams solid retro fit rollers you can buy, or if going hyd roller...hughes engines sells some retro fit style also.

Don't forget the bronze gear intermediate shaft that drives the oil pump, 'if required'

-
Back