Which heads to run on 340

-
Head choice is dependant on the engine's use. What does this 340 have to do for you? What is your budget?

It will be a street strip car. Probably 11:1 to 11:5 Compression. probably going to go with the J heads i have already. I can put 2.08 intake valves in these correct?

It will be a street strip car. Probably 11:1 to 11:5 Compression. probably going to go with the J heads i have already. I can put 2.08 intake valves in these correct.

Have you thought about cam selection yet? I know from your other thread that you want to run the tunnel ram. As far as compression, just make sure you cam, ([email protected]) enough if you want to run pump gas. My opinion on the intake is 2.02 will be enough. Imo when you start talkin' 2.05/2.08's, you'd probably want to start looking at aftermarket heads.

wow ok now we can get some info justin i have a set of 71 3418915 B
now i am in the same boat i dont know if you saw that kit i talked about but it is being produced by pro comp its a take off on the rpm head so i am trying to decide do i go aluim 65cc 2.02 /160 with a 190 runner or have my 2.2 /160 steel heads carved up and go that way can u give me some advice here and mabbee the rest of us can make an easier decision on what is the better bang for the buck i am trying to build a 408 wanna see around 500 hp and need some pro help or stay at 360 + 30 bore and get 450

I have been thinking about my 340

I have .040 overbore, stock compression for a 71 340 with J heads that have 2.02/1.60 valves 3 angle valve job

It does not like much timing and pump gas, timing was backed out and it still wanted to knock, so I have to give it a dose of Cam 2 to be HAPPY, More Cam 2 more timing better performance

IF you plan on using this as a street/strip car I would spend the money for a good set of ALUMINUM heads. With the 11:1 compression should be OK with good pump gas and even better with some race gas. Once you try driving it and having to pay $7.00 + a gallon for race gas then the extra cost on the heads make sense.

Have a ton of money in my J heads and should have spent the extra the last time the motor was apart for the ALUMINUM

MY 2 CENTS

Havent 100% figured out which cam im going to run yet looking at a couple hughes cams now forgot the exact specs of them now but there all around the 550 lift range. Im kindabig making like an old school drag car from like the 80s with the big tunnel going to do super stock springs and some fat tires ive just always loved that look!

You'll get it figured out. Can't wait to see the end result. I love that kind of build too. If i ever get the funds together, i'm right there with you :smile:.

Ive got the general build down just gotta figure out some more of the specifics. This is actually my first build my uncles helping me with it (he does B bodys and Big Blocks with some small block building from the 80's). But correct me if im wrong but i should be using a slightly domed piston with the open chambered head? If i do decide to mill the head how much should i go on it?

If i was building a 70/80's type car, and this is just me personally, for mainly street and a little playin' on the track, i would run a flat top piston similar to this....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-L2316F30/... and shave the "J"s down to around 65cc's and with a deck clean up and a .028 gasket would be around 10.0 to 1 compression. I'd keep 2.02 int. valves, with a good multi angle valve job and a little bowl clean up. This would allow for a little milder cam, low/mid 500" lift and 245ish duration at .050 to allow for a decent signal to the carbs on a tunnel ram. Along with a high 3/low 4 gear it should make a fun ride on the street and still be pump gas friendly. jmo

when it was head time for me ... i was at the a swap meet a guy there had w7's for sale he went to w9's 1500$ later i went home with what i wanted heartland sharp rockers stainless valves intake ..... if you figure the cost of valves ,new seats ,springs and all the machine work ... plus all your time running around ... buy a set done from like indy or who ever your money ahead ... your not buying someone else's problem.... just food for thought

It will be a street strip car. Probably 11:1 to 11:5 Compression. probably going to go with the J heads i have already. I can put 2.08 intake valves in these correct?

Ok... So what does it have to do for you? Pump gas? horsepower or ET expectations? I read you want a tunnel ram 80's looking car, which is all about looks. What does it have to do for you, and be as honest with yourself and specific as you can...

I would like to run mid to upper 11's. Drive on the street sometimes not alot tho. Tunnel isnt just for looks i also feel you can get more performance out of them (i know thats a huge debate of its own lol) would prefer pump gas but if i have to run race gas its fine with me. I have a tunnel ram currently a TR-5 with twin 450 vac secondaries and also have a set of 600 vac secondaries if needed.

It will be a street strip car. Probably 11:1 to 11:5 Compression. probably going to go with the J heads i have already. I can put 2.08 intake valves in these correct.

Have you thought about cam selection yet? I know from your other thread that you want to run the tunnel ram. As far as compression, just make sure you cam, ([email protected]) enough if you want to run pump gas. My opinion on the intake is 2.02 will be enough. Imo when you start talkin' 2.05/2.08's, you'd probably want to start looking at aftermarket heads.
or if the vales are sunk otherwise not cost effective:violent1:

-
Back