Which ignition?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I working on a Christmas list and was looking at the MSD distributor. Is this a good product for my 360 or do mopar guy usually go with another brand?

MoPar guys normally stick with the OE vacuum advance distributor. It is an excellent unit.
The MSD unit is also a great part. Be it there base unit or the program or unit, there know to work very well. A lot will also depend on what your doing with your set up.

Mild 360 right now. This summer I am shooting for a nice street/strip 12 second small block. Cams, headers, head work, intake, carb, flat tops.

Distributors, probably the least understood part of the motor. $200 MSD or $18 boneyard pull, they both trigger a box.....and can be made to perform identical to each other with the right springs. Even that $59 Ebay Pro-Form HEI unit is pretty good for what it does...

This will be my first experience with electronics of any times to be honest with you. When I was putting the motor together a friend of my dads did the ignition. The only things I have done is changed the spark plug wires, plugs, and voltage regulator. I am pretty dumb on the topic so I am open to all comments.

Well, if ya wanna do simple and effective, a MoPar performance distributor (1for sale in the classifieds here at a great price by the way.) triggered by a MoPar Chrome box will get the job done no sweat. Adding a basic 6A box from Mallory or MSD can be done easy. The 6A box(s) will help idle, quicker starts and add mileage to stock to mild builds.

Oh, the MP Chrome box is a basic bolt in for such Equiped cars and a easy harrnass to install if you do not have a car Equiped with electronic ignition.

The 6a ignition box's are also a easy add on. Instructions are easy to follow.

There's no learning curve with these systems. Just time the distributor, tune the carb, recheck the distributor etc....

I like the idea of using a MP product. I am going to keep an eye out with it and mess around with the one on my dads ford when I get home to learn a few things haha...i always test my skills on the ford first.

-
Back