which intake to use on stock 318?

-

Rainbrodash6

Reaction score
so I am buying a new intake manifold for my 74' duster, and I have 2 choices, both cost the same. an edelbrock torker (not sure if 1 or 2), and a holley street dominator. it will be paired with a 625cfm carter four barrel carb. any help is appreciated.

I would not use either one of those. Those are both single plane intakes. You want a dual plane manifold like a edelbrock performer.

I would go with the Wiand Stealth (if you can't get a good Edelbrock LD4B used):

CHRYSLER SMALL BLOCK
STEALTH™ INTAKE MANIFOLD PART #: 8022

View attachment large8022.jpg

Features
High Rise Dual Plane Design
Square Bore Carburetor Mounting Flange
No EGR Provisions
Power band: Idle-6800 RPM
Height: Front 4.88", Rear 5.94"
Port Size: 1.96” height 1.00" width

http://www.holley.com/8022.asp

And run this gasket:

It has the center divider to keep the strong dual plane signal all the way to the carb, and is 5/16" thick which will help insulate some of the heat from the intake.

BASE GASKET PART #: 108-18

View attachment Carb Gask Holley 108-18 lg.jpg

Features
Fit Holley Model 4010™, Model 4150™ and Model 4160™
1 3/4" Throttle Bore
5/16" Thick

These will bolt right up and work with your carb. Do not use a single plane, they are for top end and do not run well for low and mid range street engines.

Are you running a stock cam or aftermarket?

Also, you should have dual exhaust. The stock single exhaust really chokes back the engine. Dual exhaust will give the biggest improvement in performance/economy and will let you take full advantage of the 4 bbl. If you don't add dual exhaust, you're basically pissing in the ocean to raise the water level... Run 2 1/4" duals, and an H or X pipe would be even better.

I wouldn't begin to hazard a guess without more info on your engine. Care to let us in on it or not? More info would certainly help.

so I am buying a new intake manifold for my 74' duster, and I have 2 choices, both cost the same. an edelbrock torker (not sure if 1 or 2), and a holley street dominator. it will be paired with a 625cfm carter four barrel carb. any help is appreciated.

Given those two choices I'd go with the Holley Street Dominator. Has the 318 port size and factory choke option. Holley did a nice job on their intakes.

Given those two choices I'd go with the Holley Street Dominator. Has the 318 port size and factory choke option. Holley did a nice job on their intakes.

No offense, but as stated earlier, both of those intakes are single plane and will not run good on his set up.

His money would be better spent on a dual plane. He will be much happier with the way it would run with a dual plane vs single plane. There's no sense spending money on a part that's not right for your car.

[ame]http://youtu.be/1ZOdVqlvys0[/ame]

Dual plane, no doubt about it. Look into a spread bore carb while your at it, love them damn things.

have any of you ever tried a holley street dom on a stock 318 or are you just going off what the magazines said?

No offense, but as stated earlier, both of those intakes are single plane and will not run good on his set up.

His money would be better spent on a dual plane. He will be much happier with the way it would run with a dual plane vs single plane. There's no sense spending money on a part that's not right for your car.

http://youtu.be/1ZOdVqlvys0

That is your opinion. I was trying to actually answer his question. We don't know what either will cost him. I assume they are not new, but used. Have you run a Holley Street Dominator on a 318? They are not your oversized race single plane manifold. It will accept a square or spread bore carb. The Holley is similar to the 273 Commando intake, and to be honest, we really don't have enough info on the car, or intended usage, to make a real good recommendation anyway. I won't make general rules and there are a lot of things I consider before I do anything.

have any of you ever tried a holley street dom on a stock 318 or are you just going off what the magazines said?

Yes, we bought an old 76 dodge van with a Holley Street Dominator. It sucked. We changed it to a dual plane and it ran much better. Stock 318 cam, with the 4 bbl intake, exhaust manifolds and side pipes for exhaust.

I've had 318's with stock single plane 2 bbls and put stock dual plane 2 bbl intakes on them and been much happier with the performance. Same carb - just change the intake. Apples to apples comparison.

It's a known fact that dual plane intakes have better low end and mid range torque and horsepower. Better for street driven vehicles.

It was also known back in those days that the Holley Strip Dominator was a better intake than the Street Dominator. Street Dominators weren't that great of intakes to tell the truth. (not to knock the original poster).

Not to mention, have you ever looked at the quality of the intakes? Holley has the worst core shift that I've seen in intake castings (crooked ports etc). Edelbrock is next worse. Offenhauser and Wiand are much better. I've never seen as much core shift in the Offenhauser and Wiand intakes, that I've seen in the Edelbrock, and especially Holley castings.

I'm not saying that every one of their intakes have bad of core shift, but I've noticed crooked ports on Holley intakes and a few Edelbrock intakes. I've seen much less core shift in Edelbrock than Holley, but Offy and Wiand have been the straightest from the intakes that I've seen.

The original poster states that he's putting it on a "stock" 318. He doesn't give us much more information than that. It would be helpful to know if he has dual exhaust and an aftermarket cam. So I'm going with the "assumption" that he has a stock 318 and has a Carter 4 bbl square bore carb to use with it.

If I felt that one of the intakes that he proposes would run well on his engine, I would pick the better one (or lesser of two evils in this case). But I don't see any gain in him buying an intake for his engine just because it's a bargain. His money would be better spent on a dual plane intake that would run much better on his set up. If he wants to throw money away, I can PM him my address....

If he wants a recommendation of the best intakes to use on a STOCK 74 318, here's what I would recommend:

#1. The now obsolete Edelbrock LD4B. this intake is made for the stock small port 273/318 heads from 66 and newer AND will take a square bore carburetor directly without any adapters. (I like to stay away from the adapters whenever possible). His Carter carb will bolt right on and go. This intake can handle cams up to 280° duration if he wants to upgrade in the future or already has one.

My son and I bolted one of these to his stock 71 318 with dual exhaust and it ran MUCH better than the Edelbrock Performer intake that the previous owner had put on. It had no bog or hesitation off of the line with an Edelbrock 625 electric choke carb. Great street intakes, they just don't have the bosses to mount the coil back in the stock position, you will have to find another place to mount your coil and possibly get a longer coil wire.

View attachment Edel LD4B A01 B4.jpg

#2. The old obsolete Edelbrock Dual Port / Dual Plane intake. This one had the split ports from top to bottom. It is a great street intake for low and mid range performance, but gets restrictive over 5000 RPM. Great fuel economy and will work great with a stock 318 cam.

View attachment Edel DP-DP A01 B.jpg

View attachment Eddy DPDP A04 B.jpg

View attachment Eddy DPDP A02 b.jpg

#3. The old obsolete Edelbrock SP2P intake. This one is similar to the dual port-dual plane intake above, but doesn't have the divided/split ports. It is good to about 5200 - 5500 RPM max. It will run good with a stock 318 cam and also get good fuel economy.

View attachment Edalbrock SP2P intake.jpg

#4. The Wiand Stealth part # 8022 intake. this is a good intake brand new with a power band from idle - 6800 RPM with a square bore carb flange. It will run good with a stock cam or can handle an aftermarket cam with under 280° duration. This one will bolt directly to his Carter carb that he already has and he won't have to buy another carb.

View attachment Wiand 8022 Stealth lg.jpg

#5. The Wiand Action Plus part # 8007. This is a good brand new intake with a power band from idle - 6000 RPM with a spread bore intake flange. It will run good with a stock cam or can handle an aftermarket cam with under 280° duration. He will have to run an adapter for his carb or buy a spreadbore.

View attachment Wiand 8007 Action plus lg.jpg

We rebuilt the 360 in our old 79 Warlock II 4x4 and installed the Wiand Stealth with a carter 625 carb, 9.5 compression, double roller timing chain, headers, sonic turbo mufflers that exited just under the steps. It got 2 1/2 MPG better than the stock engine pulling a car on a trailer with much more power.

I used to race the local early 80's Mustang GT's with it in low and would be on the back of their front fender at 45 MPH. They were pissed that a 4x4 gave them that close of a run off a stop light.

The guy who bought from us used to get teased by his Chevy 4x4 buddies until one day they all went off roading and one of the Chevy's got stuck. Our old Warlock pulled him out effortlessly, and they never knocked "that old Dodge" again...

But what would I know? It's not like I have a bunch of intakes sitting around....

View attachment My Intakes A01 B.jpg

That is your opinion. I was trying to actually answer his question. We don't know what either will cost him. I assume they are not new, but used. Have you run a Holley Street Dominator on a 318? They are not your oversized race single plane manifold. It will accept a square or spread bore carb. The Holley is similar to the 273 Commando intake, and to be honest, we really don't have enough info on the car, or intended usage, to make a real good recommendation anyway. I won't make general rules and there are a lot of things I consider before I do anything.

My opinion?

OK. You build one with a Holley street dominator, and I'll build one with one of my intakes, and we'll race and do some highway driving and see which one performs better in acceleration and fuel economy.

And yes, we do not have enough info on what he's running. But by going by the title and he states "stock 318", I am giving him options for a stock 318 and a little more.

I've been building street daily driver performance drivers for over 33 years now. Driven them for hundred of thousands of miles - well over 500,000 miles. I do know a little about this subject.

I stand by my recommendations in the post above. :glasses7:

I know you are trying to help, but that is a bit silly... I like how someone asks a question and 1. We don't answer their question and 2. Go running down the road, for weeks, recommending all sorts of things they may or may not care about or want to know. I think it is better to answer the question and then give recommendations. Lots of us here have you beat by 10 years of experience or more. We also know a little about this subject. I doubt one could tell a huge difference between a Holley Street Dominator and a Performer on a stock 318 with a 625 cfm Carter AFB. I'd bet both will beat a stock 318 2 barrel carb hands down. As for stopping by to race, I do drive through IL on my way to SD but am rarely in race mode having driven all day from Stinking MD. Also I would not like to get caught going as fast as any of my Barracudas will go. All that being said, I'm not afraid to run anyone. I build what I want and for how much I am willing to spend, which means 273's, 340's, or 383's, high winders all. That does not mean I haven't built other engines for other people.

At least I answered the OP question.

-
Back