Which is better?

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I have to chang out my 904 when I go to small block, my question is..
Is the 4 speed better than a 904 for small block?

I know I would have to put in a hump, and change the pedals, but other than that, would anything else need to change?

Better? I like my 4 speed. Have a lot of fun banging through the gears. Just depends on what you want.

Theres the 2 basic automatics, 904 and the 727. Theres a few versions of the 904 that go by, 999, 998 and 997 I think, I forget to be honest with ya.

Theres 2 manual trannys. the 4 spd and the 3 spd.

To finish up what your asking above, you'll need to weld in the bracket on the frame for the Z bar to sit into. Also, cut a hole in the floor area for the rod, from the clutch pedal to go through to the Z bar. There is also bushings in the ends of the Z bar and assorted little parts in that area as well as the ones I'm sure you know down at the clutch fork.

If someone could post up a picture of this set up....we'd both be greatful. Thanks crew.

No info at all?
Are there manual 904's?
there's reverse manual/manual valve bodies for 904s and 727s. the reverse manual changes the gear pattern as well to PRN123

Also, I think he is asking if a 4spd will transfer more power than a 904

It is going to go behind a 408 stroker, and more than likely an 8.75 with highway gears.
I have heard that 4spds. are weak? I would like a manual car, I know there is an 833OD in a dart lite in ft scott, but idk if the guy will part with it.

On the back roads nothing beats my Mini Cooper S and winging through the 6 Speeds...

Sitting in the Woodward Dream Cruise in the Duster...Automatic...all the way. It does have a manual valve body, bucket seats and console...so it's a bit shifty.

A friend of mine had a 67 Firebird and I would swear his left leg calf would be about twice the size of his right after a Summer of driving that beast.

Paul

4 speeds are weak? Might have heard that about the OD trans in some instances. The Mopar 4 speed was pretty much accepted as the strongest factory 4 speed trans of the muscle car era.

4 speed all the way! better? I think so, cooler? definitely! weak? not on your life but if you are worried get an 18 splined 440, HEMI box, although the more common 23 splined ones are plenty strong, easy swap? NO WAY! there are a lot of obstacles to over come, and some of them aint cheap, brewers sells complete conversion kit's, (but you can find most of the parts cheaper in the FABO for sale section)

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?id=237

DarTT beat me to the punch on that one, and I heard that about the 4spd at the local shop.. this kind of has me sold on going to a 4spd.. cost is not an issue I dont plan on having everything done at once.. this will happen when I am done with school..
But I do intend on collecting what I need to make it happen. This is my first car from highschool, I drove it once then my brother blew the motor.. This car is also the only thing my dad gave me..

that is exactly what I have been doing for the past year or two, collecting all the parts piece at a time to convert my car to a 4speed, and when I have everything I will switch it over

Converting from auto to manual; so many parts needed, and knowing where to put them. Call Paul Forte at Turbo Action, and keep the auto.

-
Back