which oil for Ray Barton engine

-

65 Valiant

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i just bought a new A-body toy. Has a 528" Ray Barton Hemi inside.
The pre owner used a straight valvoline W40 oil with ZDP for a better lubrication.

What oil do you prefer? Its a physical to find the right oil. I'm located in Germany and the most lubrications are different than the US ones.

ideas welcome...

thx JAN

We can make recomendations all day long, IMO for what that motor costs $$$$ I would definiatly call Ray Barton and ask him what he wants YOU to run in that beast, thats my .02

Hi folks,

i just bought a new A-body toy. Has a 528" Ray Barton Hemi inside.
The pre owner used a straight valvoline W40 oil with ZDP for a better lubrication.

What oil do you prefer? Its a physical to find the right oil. I'm located in Germany and the most lubrications are different than the US ones.

ideas welcome...

thx JAN

Is it that Dart that was on EBAY? That one also has a Ray BArton 528 Hemi, with nitrous!

Same oil you would use in any engine....aint special because Barton built it. Sorry, there is just something about that shop that annoys me.....

Is it that Dart that was on EBAY? That one also has a Ray BArton 528 Hemi, with nitrous!

Ah ha! I suspect it is! Substitute a 68 Dart for the Mustang in this commercial except maybe the speed clips are in a straight line with smoke billowing from the rear wheels.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ObUXS4KD7s"]YouTube - GT500 Mustang Commercial "Germany"[/ame]

Enjoy that rod and it will be interesting the comments you get in Germany about handling vs accelleration. Is it also legal to do drag race kind of driving on the Autobahn when traffic is thin?

You hardly find thin traffic on a german Autobahn!
And if, you have to wait till its dark outside...
But there are some legal race events. "street eliminator" is a famous one.
Not like the events in the US but we are working hard on it ;-)
But we are off topic now.
I tried to contact Ray Barton-not possible to get ones ear or voice...

Depends on the cam and heads used in the engine if it's all the new roller stuff then the new synthetics should be fine but if it's got hydrolic cam and cast heads then you better find the straight wt. with ZDP I would still call him to make sure just what you have there.

If you can't get in touch with him then you should look into AmsOil. We need to know what type of Cam is in the Hemi. Solid, then you need Zinc

Call Ray's shop and ask to speak to David Barton. I had machine work done there and david was very helpful and took the time to answer all my questions.

Ask Barton.

Really though....besides zinc...all he could recommend is the weight, since he built it and should know.

In the world of quality oils, brand is but an individual preference.

thx for the answeres. Will try contact them again.
Need more informations from them-cam card etc.

@cdawglean: do u want pictures from the engine or the needed oil?? :))

see post #11

yep i agree :worthles:

this shouldn't be rocket science. why not ask the guy you bought it from, im sure he must know something about it. its just a hemi, there no different from any other race engine. put some 20w50VR1 in it, if its got a flat tapped add some lucas zinc additive and forget about it.......

and ray does talk on the phone, i've called there and spoke with him before

Can you research and compare the Euro rating system to the US one? We have the API and SAE rating systems. There should be some comparable technical rating system for European stuff.
I doubt Barton will know any more than "40W with a zinc additive"...lol

So, you want some pictures??

thats it...

BTW: has someone paperwork or technical informations about the history of the SS Hemi Dart,LO23 etc.
need it for the customs.

thx for the answeres. Will try contact them again.
Need more informations from them-cam card etc.

@cdawglean: do u want pictures from the engine or the needed oil?? :))

How about car, engine, tires, wheels, burnout marks it leaves on the pavement, Oil, I don't know how bout pics of everything related to a MOPAR or girls lol.

So, you want some pictures??

thats it...

BTW: has someone paperwork or technical informations about the history of the SS Hemi Dart,LO23 etc.
need it for the customs.

Not to be picky but can we get some videos of it too lol.... JK unless you want to post them...Thats a great looking car.

I think Mancini racing has the books about the SS car's with all the specs and such. That is one beautifull car nice find. Too bad it's leaving the states but looks like it's going to a good home with a great caretaker. Good luck with it.

Hemi's Rule

I have a Ray Barton Race Hemi 426 that was in Mike Bookers Cuda in 2006 and I was told to run Badd Penn 20-50...

Ray Barton 426 Hemi

Attachments

• DSC02432.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 834
  • DSC02435.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 943
  • image022.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 840
I have a Barton 535 c.i. wedge. I run Lucas 20W-50 full synthetic "racing only oil". I have the oil analyized when I drain it and it has 3,000 ppm zinc in it! Wow! After 2 full seasons of drag racing the bearings etc. still look good. The same flat tappet cam has been used for 5 years, with no signs of wear. I do have a pre oiler system on the car. This must help a lot. In the 2 years, oil and filter changes are the only maintence done to the engine. The car runs 9.70's in the 1/4. As a matter of fact I'm going down to Rays shop this morning. (8 hr. drive) We're going to freshen up the motor and put a roller cam, gear drive and T&D rocker system on it. Ray has always talked with me on the phone, no problem. Nice HEMI engine you have there.

Just a update on new oils out there.
Oil specs that end in N or later ie o,p,q, oil additives will not mix and stay suspended.
This is just a FYI.

-
Back