Which oil pan?!?!

-

moparornocar72

Jack Of All Trades
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has already figured out which oil pan works best as far as clearance goes with the 440 in a '73 dart sport. I know it hits the suspension if you use a normal big block oil pan and I was wanting something a little bigger than a 187 pan. ANY IDEAS?????

I use a 7 quart milodon pan in my 67 cuda. Lots of clearance, with the k-member and the steering.

I had a 6 quart hemi pan on it before. I had to clearance the K-member for it. The milodon pan has lots of everywhere. They do hang down quite low. Not good for a car that sits low.

I was wondering if anyone has already figured out which oil pan works best as far as clearance goes with the 440 in a '73 dart sport. I know it hits the suspension if you use a normal big block oil pan and I was wanting something a little bigger than a 187 pan. ANY IDEAS?????

Yea, get a tin basher and weld in a 2 to 3 in extension to the sump and don't forget to lengthen the oil pickup. Or get an old pan and cut a 2 to 3" slice out of the sump and weld it into the 187. While you're in the welding mode don't forget to weld in a baffle as most 187 don't have them.

Yea, get a tin basher and weld in a 2 to 3 in extension to the sump and don't forget to lengthen the oil pickup. Or get an old pan and cut a 2 to 3" slice out of the sump and weld it into the 187. While you're in the welding mode don't forget to weld in a baffle as most 187 don't have them.
This thread has popped up before several times...I told someone before to take a 187 pan....weld in some oil baffles inside of it....cut the bottom of the pan off and weld another piece of sump to the bottom of it.....have the guys running the Milodon pan take a picture with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right...I bet they have interference with the idler arm hitting the pan...JMO...mine is for sale and it does not have baffles in it...demon seed is correct

IMG00136-20100330-2218.jpg

IMG00137-20100330-2218.jpg

This is the reason why to use a 187

IMG00148-20100401-2319.jpg

The 187 or 669 pan will work. I installed a 669 pan on my 440-75 Duster. Picked it up at a swap meet with a windage tray for $25. Then add the sump.

-
Back