Which oil?

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Currently I am running shell rotella in my 318 with it's flat tappet. Got several suggestions for valvoline vr-1. Anyone got an opinion on what oil and weight?

Look at it this way. If you use VR1 you know that you will not have an oil related cam failure. Might cost you about $5 more per oil change. Rotella and the like used to have a good ZDDP content level, not so much anymore.

Look at it this way. If you use VR1 you know that you will not have an oil related cam failure. Might cost you about $5 more per oil change. Rotella and the like used to have a good ZDDP content level, not so much anymore.

haha very fair point skrews, vr-1 it is. Should I use 20w-50 or is there a better weight to go with? Also in winter, more like 10w-30?

if you think your changing to a better oil your only foolin yourself . as good maybe ...better...probally not . rotella is 1200ppm which is all kinds .

By the way, fnaramore, I have five cases of 20W50 Valvoline VR1 synthetic. I bought it because it was discontinued and paid like $3.99 a quart for it. I use Amsoil and will never use it. If you want some, I'll sell it at cost plus shipping.

There's a such thing as too much zinc, too. Read about it before you make your decision.

There's a such thing as too much zinc, too. Read about it before you make your decision.

Yeah, thats why I was actually gonna go with Bertolli olive oil :-D hahah i got you though. I do research the questions I ask, but I like asking all guys too. You're all extremely helpfully and have experience in areas i don't

By the way, fnaramore, I have five cases of 20W50 Valvoline VR1 synthetic. I bought it because it was discontinued and paid like $3.99 a quart for it. I use Amsoil and will never use it. If you want some, I'll sell it at cost plus shipping.

Thanks for the offer! Might take you up on it once it starts to warm up here.

15W40 MOBIL DELVAC 1300 SUPER Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL = 73,300 psi
zinc = 1297 ppm
phos = 1944 ppm
moly = 46 ppm

15W40 “NEW” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM = 72,022 psi
zinc = 1454 ppm
phos = 1062 ppm
moly = 0 ppm

15W40 “OLD” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4,CG-4,CF-4,CF,SL, SJ, SH = 71,214 psi
zinc = 1171 ppm
phos = 1186 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
Yes it’s true, the old Rotella actually has LESS zinc than the new Rotella.

10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phosphorus = 1544 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
calcium = 2,707 ppm

The magic number you're after is roughly 1400ppm of zinc and phosphorous. More phosphorous is usually better and is actually the additive that helps shear and pressure resistance of oil on flat tappets and pistons. You need zinc for longivity.

VR1 is good oil in track cars. I like something with a low level of detergent, for the street, to keep it cleaner on full change intervals. Track cars usually see more cylinder wash, inherently see more frequent oil changes and less buildup between rebuilds than a street engine.

I run Penn Grade 1 for a street solid tappet.

So by my understanding looking for around 1400 ppm and if that's true Amsoil Zrod (ZRT and ZRF) look pretty damn good. I wish I was in Fairfax haha I go to college in Radford however. Wake up to snow on halloween and 20 degree days rotating tires and doing burn outs in the shops firebird

The magic number you're after is roughly 1400ppm of zinc and phosphorous. More phosphorous is usually better and is actually the additive that helps shear and pressure resistance of oil on flat tappets and pistons. You need zinc for longivity.

VR1 is good oil in track cars. I like something with a low level of detergent, for the street, to keep it cleaner on full change intervals. Track cars usually see more cylinder wash, inherently see more frequent oil changes and less buildup between rebuilds than a street engine.

I run Penn Grade 1 for a street solid tappet.

Posted a second before me! haha Great though! so I am correct with the 1400 ppm

15W40 MOBIL DELVAC 1300 SUPER Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL = 73,300 psi
zinc = 1297 ppm
phos = 1944 ppm
moly = 46 ppm

15W40 “NEW” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM = 72,022 psi
zinc = 1454 ppm
phos = 1062 ppm
moly = 0 ppm

15W40 “OLD” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4,CG-4,CF-4,CF,SL, SJ, SH = 71,214 psi
zinc = 1171 ppm
phos = 1186 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
Yes it’s true, the old Rotella actually has LESS zinc than the new Rotella.

10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phosphorus = 1544 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
calcium = 2,707 ppm

Interesting that the new Rotella formula shows to have more zinc than the old. I'm thinking he has them switched up.

-
Back