Which parts?

-

BTYM

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I wanted to get your opinions on Moog vs. P-S-T. I like P-S-T, because they offer a whole front end steering kit. I would also like to know if you guys think the polygraphite bushings are worth the extra cost. I am looking at buying the "Polygraphite performance super front end kit" for $440. The "original performance super front end kit" is $380, so not a whole lot of difference as far as price goes, how about performance?

I rebuilt a front end with poly and it was too stiff for everyday use. Within 3 years the pot holes in Detroit had destroyed the bushings. I rebuilt it with the regular rubber bushings, and it was a softer more comfortable ride and lasted longer than the poly.

Also, be careful of the upper control arm bots in the kits. When I bought a kit, the bolts had the flat for the washer all the way down the shaft. The original style bolts only had the flats for the washer down the threaded part, not the whole shaft. I prefer the flat only down the threads, not the whole shaft. Making the whole shaft flat decreases the cross sectional area of the shaft, making it weaker than a fully round shaft. Make sure whatever bolts that you get have the flat only at the threads.

If you want a stiffer suspension for handling, then go with the poly bushings. If you want a smoother ride, go with the OEM style rubber.

I really like the Moog parts, been using them for decades and they always work well for me.
I did try some poly bushings once about 25 years ago. Not PST brand. I didn't like the way the parts went together or fit reusing the old bushing shells and the silicon grease. The upper & lower control arm bushings just didn't seem right to me not being the press fit design.
I was using the car as my daily driver and the freezing Indiana winters and poly bushings didn't go well together. Summertime wasn't so bad but the squeaks, loud pipes help and were easier to listen to.

I'm getting ready to buy front end parts as well. Does anyone else make a respectable OE kit, or will I just have to piece it out?

I have a new plan! I think (against my better judgement) since the rest of the front end seems alright, not perfect, but passable I will replace the idler arm bushing itself, while saving for all of the front end parts I want. I want to replace everything. Power steering gearbox, pitman arm, idler arm, centerlink, ball joints, control arm bumpers, replace torsion bars with 1.03" torsion bars, shocks, and I'm iffy about the control arms lol. I think I'll go with a mixture of Moog, PST, and Firmfeel parts depending on price. I hate to say I am going to go cheap, but all three brands seem to be pretty reliable, so a lower cost doesn't hurt my feelings none.

I work at a shop, and I can't buy Moog parts as cheap as they are on Amazon. I priced my entire front end - ball joints, tie rods, idler, pitman, control arm bushings, etc. It was around $280. That is what I am going with.

I work at a shop, and I can't buy Moog parts as cheap as they are on Amazon. I priced my entire front end - ball joints, tie rods, idler, pitman, control arm bushings, etc. It was around $280. That is what I am going with.

That sounds like an excellent idea, never thought of checking amazon. Thanks for the tip man.

On a side note, here is what I have written down for replacement, is there anything I'm not thinking of that should be replaced?

Upper ball joints
Lower ball joints
Upper / lower control arm bushings
End links
End link bushings
idler arm
outer tie rods
inner tie rods
tie rod sleeves
strut rod bushings
upper cam bolts
upper / lower control arm bumpers
pitman arm
torsion bar (1.03")
torsion bar seals and dust boots
torsion bar adjusters
torsion bar clips
power steering gearbox
power steering pump
calipers
pads
rotors
front tires
shocks

I think that just about does it for the front end. I think my plan of action, as of right now is to start ordering parts. Once I stockpile all the parts I need, and I find myself a 360 to rebuild, I'll get started on that. This winter (or next spring, depending on time and money) my brother and I are planning on swapping the engine. When that happens, I'll replace all of the front end parts, and inspect the K-frame at that time. Any and all advice, or parts that I should replace that aren't listed, OR parts that I have listed that I may not NEED to replace, to help cut down on cost, will be greatly appreciated.

You want part numbers? I am doing my 73 Dart Sport, so I have all the Moog numbers. I'm not doing the torsion bars, but I have all the steering parts, ball joints and control arm bushings.

Hey Mopar to Ya, would you mind sending me the list also? I was trying to gather up all the moog part numbers myself and that would help a ton.

Thanks,
Eli

-
Back