WHICH REAR TO INSTALL????

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok, Folks....Looking for a little help. I have a 75 Plymouth Scamp that I'm building. It was a 6 cyl car, but now it's destined to have a Stroker 360 put into it in the next year or two. My dilemma......I know that the rear in this car is NEVER going to hold the power that this motor is going to develop (car has a 7 1/4 rear in it). I have located a few possible replacements for this rear end, but I'm wanting advice on which to pursue and use.

FOUND-Dana 27 out of a 60's Studebaker
FOUND-Dana 35C out of a 89 Jeep Cherokee
POSSIBLE- Dana 44 out of a Jeep CJ

I know that the 8 3/4 would be an ideal find, but they are getting harder and harder to locate in this day. Which rear end should I pursue, as I'm looking for ideas.

OH, This car is going to be a Street/Strip machine in the end, so I do want to drive it occsionally as well. Help me out fellas.

Bob

i also think the 8 1/4" rear is good enough as long as your not beating on it with slicks :)

Thanks Guys....You have helped a bunch....I'll try the 8 1/4, but if that Ford 9in turns up, I'm not going to turn it away......LOL

UPDATE!!!.....Did a bit of searching...and found 2 "489" 8 3/4 rears....One in a truck and one in a 72 Chrysler 300.....Taking the truck one out this weekend....only has 3.23 gears, but that can be fixed up. I dont think this fella knows what he has.....

Bob

True....but nothing I would not have had to do with almost any other rear end that I was looking at. I'd just rather have the 8 3/4....

Bob

Double check the spring perches on the truck housing, last time I saw a truck 8 3/4 the perches were on the top of the axles tubes instead of the bottom like they are in the cars.

i have an 8 1/4 thats in a 74 scamp that just sitting in a parts car. i would part with if interested, pm me. its not a posi or geared low but its a axle that will bolt in.

-
Back