Which stall torque converter?

-

evilred73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all,, I got a 360 with decent cam with a 727 manual shift and a 3500 stall that I'm replacing. Also gonna replace the gears on My 8 3/4 sure grip from 4.10 to 3.23 to be able to cruise on the freeway with out winding out. My question is what stall converter do you guys recommend for this application?

Thanks..

I got a 2400 in mine with 3.23s that works fine. Maybe check the specs and see the operating range of your cam and go a couple of hundred higher?? Think I read somewhere you need a trans cooler for 3000 up

Not enough information to accurately determine a stall speed. A decent cam to one guy is stock to another and a race cam to another. What are the duration specs at .050" and advertised? What does the car weigh? What is the basic rpm range of the engine? In other words where does it kick in and where does it top off? You actually need a cooler with most any stall converter above 2000 rpm.

Hey all,, I got a 360 with decent cam with a 727 manual shift and a 3500 stall that I'm replacing. Also gonna replace the gears on My 8 3/4 sure grip from 4.10 to 3.23 to be able to cruise on the freeway with out winding out. My question is what stall converter do you guys recommend for this application?

Thanks..

Depending on the brand and model you have a good converter shop could freshen and tighten it up a hair, not sure how much you have in the price of it, but it may or may not be cost effective to look at both options.

Depending on the brand and model you have a good converter shop could freshen and tighten it up a hair, not sure how much you have in the price of it, but it may or may not be cost effective to look at both options.

That is a good idea Rick. My local shop only charges $100-125 for that service. Give them all your info and if their good they can nail it right on.

Thanks for the replys guys. Well the car is a 73 Plymouth duster 360 with a/c. The cam is a comp cam 280/ 480 around there. Since the car has been parked on an off for about 15 years I think it's time to get The trans freshed up and re sealed to get rid of the leaks. While there a fresh new torque converter with a lower stall would be great and maybe even get rid of that vibration I have while at 65 to 70 mph. this was the converter I was looking at.
92e212e5.jpg

Don't go nuts on stall, think of stall like when you let the clutch out all the way. With higher stall you create more heat, and you will always be slipping cruising down the freeway. Not a good idea. Read up on the subject, Google it. That's the one I've got, its good.

Don't go nuts on stall, think of stall like when you let the clutch out all the way. With higher stall you create more heat, and you will always be slipping cruising down the freeway. Not a good idea. Read up on the subject, Google it. That's the one I've got, its good.

Sorry but not all of that is true unless you buy a loose race style converter. Modern converters are light yrs. ahead of what was available 20 yrs. ago. I run a PTC 3500 stall in my Cuda and it barely slips just the least little bit on take off and not at all down the hwy (ok, maybe 1-2%, but a stock converter will slip that much) even though the tires are 28" tall and it has 3.55 gears. When you nail it that's when it stall 3500. Not all the time like the old converters did. Read up on it on websites such as Dynamic converters, PTC, TSI and you'll see what I'm talking about. But the part of a high stall converter building heat. But any time you run a higher than stock stall converter you need to run a trans. cooler anyway so that's a moot point.

Thanks for the replys guys. Well the car is a 73 Plymouth duster 360 with a/c. The cam is a comp cam 280/ 480 around there. Since the car has been parked on an off for about 15 years I think it's time to get The trans freshed up and re sealed to get rid of the leaks. While there a fresh new torque converter with a lower stall would be great and maybe even get rid of that vibration I have while at 65 to 70 mph. this was the converter I was looking at.
IMO that's not quite enough stall for that cam. That cam needs at least 2500 stall and will perform much better with something along the line of 2800 stall. And don't buy an off the shelf converter. Their stall rating is generic and it may stall several hundred less or may even stall more than it's rating. You have to remember, what a converter stalls is directly proportionate to the torque an engine produces. In other words the same converter that stalls 2000 rpm behind a stock 360 may stall 3000 rpm behind a 440. You can buy a custom built converter for the same money, or less, from John Cope at Cope racing transmissions and it will stall what it is supposed to. As for the vibration, make sure you get a converter with the external balance weight for a 360 or even better yet upgrade your flexplate to a B&M unit that does the balancing so the converter doesn't need balanced.

i run a 4,400 rpm (flash) stall its a dynamic 9.5", this is in a demon with a 400 hp 360 and 3.55 gear 28" tall tire, absolutely love it!! it only "stalls" when your foot is in it, otherwise its close a stock converter on the highway. Spend the EXTRA money on a good converter you wont be sorry.

-
Back