Which tire is more likely to spin?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Speaking of a non-sure grip differential at the drag strip, which is more likely to spin when accelerating from a stop, the tire on the drivers side or passenger side? Thank you.

the one with less traction

my friend had an 80 volare duster with 8.25...passenger rear was bald from doing brake torques so he swithched tires side for side...after that like u stated the left rear was now the 1 tire fire...lol

The one with less traction, but drive train and vehicle dynamics typically cause this to favor spinning the passenger side tire.

This is also why battery relocation typically ends up to the passenger side. It attempts to modify these dynamics via mass relocation.

The one with less traction, but drive train and vehicle dynamics typically cause this to favor spinning the passenger side tire.

This is also why battery relocation typically ends up to the passenger side. It attempts to modify these dynamics via mass relocation.

Nailed it!

It's always interesting when people relocate the battery to the rear driver side.

I guess they didn't get the memo. :)

Heck, I even put groceries in the trunk on the passenger side just because of that. :D

Do you guys know how much you have to spend on groceries to balance that out? LOL

A LOT!

It's always interesting when people relocate the battery to the rear driver side.

I guess they didn't get the memo. :)
:banghead:
LAMO! Good one!
Heck, I even put groceries in the trunk on the passenger side just because of that. :D

Do you guys know how much you have to spend on groceries to balance that out? LOL

A LOT!

Get it for the BBQ and call me up! :blob:

Usually the right rear spins first due to a torque reaction. If the pinion gear in the differential is on the right and the ring gear is on the left, as viewed from the rear, the torque applied attempts to push down on the left side of the axle and pull up on the right side as the pinion gear attempts to climb up the ring gear.

This is exactly the same type of torque reaction you see on the front of high-horsepower drag cars. The torque reaction of the engine spinning clockwise as viewed from the front attempts to lift the left front of the car as it attempts to spin the front of the car counter-clockwise around the crankshaft.

Newton's Third Law. For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction.

[ame]https://youtu.be/xfrJWN1ZETI?t=26s[/ame]

cant tell from the video...but the driver side tire didn't move

-
Back