which trans

-

mytmopar71

Reaction score
I'm building a duster for the wife and I want to put an automatic in. the mill is a 360 dyno'd at 425. which trans should I look for?

Pretty much sums it up. The 727 is pretty much bulletproof but is heavier & takes more HP to turn than the little brother 904.

tsi is building my 727 I have a 904 and 1 727 left I was using them twards case payments and cash off let me know if you want him to build 2 or if you need 1 I am in mad wisc heis in Addison ill check him out on the web tsi transmissions my 360 is built for about 450 hp also

I agree with 1970Duster...2004R, best of both worlds if you're going to do any highway driving and you want a great launch!!:burnout:
PS- great gas mileage too!!
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01915.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 94
I'm building a duster for the wife and I want to put an automatic in. the mill is a 360 dyno'd at 425. which trans should I look for?

The 727 would be my choice. My Challenger 360 has the 727 in it, and back in 1971 when I dropped $3200.00 (sigh) for my new 340 Duster, it had the 727 transmission in it. The 727 in the Duster took a lot of use/abuse and never complained. The 727 was designed for heavy duty applications, while the 904 was used for light duty applications. The 904 can be made into a HD unit, but a lot will depend on your budget. The TH200 4R Conversion is also an option, however it doesn't appear to be a bolt in job. Another overdrive you might want to look at is from SMR Transmissions. www.smrtrans.com
Pat Storey is the owner there and a great guy to talk to.

Keep i mind that the 200R-4 wasn't made for 425 hp either, and would need upgrades, the engine to trans adapter, a good quality lockup converter, a different length driveline, as well as a completely different linkage setup.
Even a 700R-4 (the big brother to the 200) would need attention before you could run it at that power output.

Would be nice when it was done though.

It would be in the thousands just for the parts.

-
Back