Whine when Revving

-

equium

Reaction score
1970 Plymouth Valiant 318

When I rev the engine, I'm hearing a whine coming from the engine bay. It's hard to pinpoint, but I think it might be the fan clutch. Anyone got any insight on this? I have a new Champion radiator on the way and was going to keep the fan clutch, but will gladly convert to electric fans if the fan clutch is the whiner.
Thanks
Danny

This could be anything from a trans pump to the water pump/fan clutch from the description.
It sure would help if you could narrow it down. (but then you would know what to fix, right?)
Otherwise all we can do is a lot guessing about the possibilities.

This could be anything from a trans pump to the water pump/fan clutch from the description.
It sure would help if you could narrow it down. (but then you would know what to fix, right?)
Otherwise all we can do is a lot guessing about the possibilities.
You're right. I think what I'll do is leave the fan/clutch assembly off after replacing the radiator and see (hear) what happens. I just did a google search and I guess it can be a common problem (fan clutch whine). I really hope that's it.
thanks

If you haven't tore it down yet, you could remove the fan belt(s) that drive the water pump. I wouldn't run it long but you could determine right off if that is where the whine is coming from.
C

I used to hear a whining in my car for years.... It went away after my divorce.... LOL!

I was going to suggest power steering pump, but it was already mentioned. Although if you do find it was your fan clutch I would stick with the mechanical fan and just by yourself a new clutch. Adding electric fans are nice, but I believe they have there time and place.

Mine did that too, the motor is on a stand now, but I never thought too much about it. I always thought it was just the fan.

wow. so many answers; lol let respond
Clhyer: I'll give that a try
KrazyKuda: lol. and these are new fan belts. I would hope they're not the issue
Moparlover: I owned a couple of fords, so I know pwr steering pump noises; lol. I'll remove that belt as well for a test.
No gear drive or blower.
Straightlinespeed: thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestion on a fan clutch that wont break the bank?

A popular fan clutch to go with is the Hayden 2765. Its for a jaguar but works great on our cars. Gives you a little more clearance between the radiator and front of the clutch. I run one on my car as do many others. Rockauto sells them right now for $32.89.

-
Back