White Grease

-

AJ71DUSTER

Reaction score
Will white grease conduct electricity, well the reason I ask is I bought a set of Accel wires and i forgot to get the special lubing to put the boots over the wires.so I have white grease can I use it instead?:banghead:

I just use spit... but almost any lube will work grease seems a little messy

I just use spit... but almost any lube will work grease seems a little messy

di-electric grease is made for spark plug wires and electrical components and used by the factory, its the only grease that is a conductor and will allow electricity to flow

if you don't use it and just any type of lube you run the risk of pulling an end off a plug wire when its time to change plugs

Di-electric.
FYI it helps on corrosion, and the plug wires will come off easier the next time you have to change plugs.

di-electric grease is made for spark plug wires and electrical components and used by the factory, its the only grease that is a conductor and will allow electricity to flow

if you don't use it and just any type of lube you run the risk of pulling an end off a plug wire when its time to change plugs

Well it seems that I will wait until tomorrow and get some di-electric grease I would rather wait and get the right stuff thanks for all that replied.:D

I would buy it in the tube, permatex sells it.
$7.00 it will last you for a couple of years, also use it on your battery terminals, starter connections etc.

Dielectric grease is an insulator. It is a silicone grease, and helps in release. It is applied to the boots, not electrical contacts.

Conductive grease has a silver or other metal particles for conducting.

I just look at the permatex on line, with that size of tube of lube it will last a long time. about 7.99 here.

Well it was $7.00 bucks a couple of years ago, and the tube is almost empty.

Dielectric grease is an insulator. It is a silicone grease, and helps in release. It is applied to the boots, not electrical contacts.

Conductive grease has a silver or other metal particles for conducting.

If you got any grease on the electrical contacts would it reduce the conductivity?
?

I dont believe so! I have put it right in the tube going onto the plug. Never had any issues with it at all causing a misfire. I also put it on the trailer wiring on my truck so that it dont corrode. Again never had any issues with it causing a conductivity problem.

I dont believe so! I have put it right in the tube going onto the plug. Never had any issues with it at all causing a misfire. I also put it on the trailer wiring on my truck so that it dont corrode. Again never had any issues with it causing a conductivity problem.

Sorry I thinking of the white grease, just wondering if it would cause a lost on conductivity at contact

Trailer wiring, the most beat up electical system on a truck.
I just completed wiring my old Dodge truck with a class IV hitch.
Added brake control, 7 pin round plug with 5 plug flat.
After testing everything smeared di-electic grease over everything to prevent corrosion.
I even used Permatex silicone black to seal the back of the plug.

Di-electric grease works, If not then why would the manufacture of the trailer componets send di-electric grease?

and here's what it says about dielectric grease
and yeah I use it for plug wire boots,trailer connectors,battery cables and electrical bulkhead connections.

Dielectric grease

Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing.
A common use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with gasoline engine spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected. It can be applied to the actual contact as well, because the contact pressure is sufficient to penetrate the grease. Doing so on such high pressure contact surfaces between different metals has the advantage of sealing the contact area against electrolytes that might cause rapid galvanic corrosion.
Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector in cases where the contact pressure is very low. Products designed as electronic connector lubricants, on the other hand, should be applied to such connector contacts and can dramatically extend their useful life. Polyphenyl Ether, rather than silicone grease, is the active ingredient in some such connector lubricants.
Silicone grease should not be applied to (or next to) any switch contact that might experience arcing, as silicone can convert to silicon-carbide under arcing conditions, and accumulation of the silicon-carbide can cause the contacts to prematurely fail. (British Telecom had this problem in the 1970s when silicone Symel® sleeving was used in telephone exchanges. Vapour from the sleeving migrated to relay contacts and the resultant silicon-carbide caused intermittent connection.)

I never get much. A whole tube will dry out and rot before I use it all. I get those little packets at the LMM isle close to the register.

-
Back