Who are the 408 crate motor builders around?

-

Steven190

Reaction score
A friend is looking for a good create 408 engine. Since Mike is gone to other pastures, I am at a lost to where to go and want to take a survey as to what is avaibile in the market place.
I think he is looking for a 408 in the 500 to 550 horsepower range, and most likely put a EFI on it.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

Blue print, I absolutely love mine Would not hesitate to buy another said it once I’ll say it again customer service second to none

Good choice
I'd ask IMM and PRH

I know who IMM is, who is PRH?

And I'm ashamed to say I can't pull out the names of the guys in that little hole down in Idaho S of me..............

A friend is looking for a good create 408 engine. Since Mike is gone to other pastures, I am at a lost to where to go and want to take a survey as to what is avaibile in the market place.
I think he is looking for a 408 in the 500 to 550 horsepower range, and most likely put a EFI on it.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
This is a 408 using the new TF head we did a few weeks ago...pump gas, not too raspy...

What did you get for power read outs?

Thanks for the replies, I too have not heard of IMM or PRH, I have talked to rambelfish and B3 and will find out what the guys is looking for and his budget.

I would be interested too, ramblefish your inbox is full, contact me please.
My in box is full? Dang! Sorry Steve.
Well, I’m here (way to much) and ready to talk.

Depending on your location and working with the board members engine builders only, the two fellas mentioned are as simple as east coast west coast guys.

IMM is known as member OU812. His name is Brain and he has been seen in various publications over the last few years. He is located in California.

Member @PHR (which stands for Porter Racing Heads) is on the east coast up north. At this early morning and state of mind, his name escape me. My apologies to Mr. Porter. Ummm, In Vermont?

Both fellas have excellent reputations and on the net, doing that for years and years with repeatable results of excellent engines and most happy customers is an amazing thing.

Mike @B3RE @ B3 Racing has a excellent kit by testimony of a good many on line as well as in the staging lanes (when I make a rare track appearance) and a local member or two stating they did indeed pick up on there slips at the track after getting together with Mike at B3.
He also has an excellent reputation for not only his product but his extra good on the phone help.

IMO, most guys over think there builds and get no where or half way spending way to much brain power and money in things that break there wallet & their patients (sp?)

From working on cars as a kid to adulthood and learning from others on what truly works and what doesn’t do so well, a lot depends on the goal your seeking. You don’t always need the latest and greatest gizmo to go fast and I don’t always suggest it. It can be great to take advantage of something but it isn’t always needed.

Many members offer good tech and knowledge. I’d like to say sorry, but sometimes I think they over think and suggest killer parts in threads needing less in a build but they have there line of thinking. To a degree, it makes sense.

I did spend some time with my grand father in law talking about his early days in the field of hot rodding and racing. Considering the level of tech available back in the day and quality of parts being made, some great some not so much by today’s standards with today’s available tech, like camshafts and lifters, piston coatings and the metal make up of pistons themselves. The list is long! I did learn a great deal before he passed away. Some of his advice I still yet have to follow. (Or be able to follow) But then again, I can’t shove my time table up and cover what he did in a life time in my off time.

Thanks to his daughter whom I just love, very cool people. She has been doing some work about him in his memory. He was chock full of info and we would talk half the day away. He was known as “Charlie Dodge” even though he liked Fords better. He had the nack for tuning the 392 HEMI really well. You can read some history about him here and how he was killing it before I was born:
Biography

upload_2019-11-3_9-47-56.jpeg

EA219473-1697-4E8B-BF3B-027FA8050ABF.jpeg

HISTORY | Pacers Auto Inc.
Pacer's Auto - Wikipedia
PACERS BLOG

Last edited:
PRH is Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing Heads. He did my X heads, couldn’t be more happy with them.

-
Back