Who can cut and respline my axles- Western Washington

-

drewmac

Reaction score
New to the Western Washington area and need someone to shorten and respline some b-body axles for my a-body 8.75. Questions are:

1. Who can do it for less than an arm and a leg?
2. What length do I need for bigger 10 x 2 rear brakes?

I live in Olympia but will go as far as Seattle for the work. Thanks!

:sign3:

Don't have a direct answer but it might be worth shipping them off to Dr. Diff in Montana.

Any circle track/race car shops in the neighborhood.Might google Sandy Cone's address,somewhere on the west coast.

Dutchman is in Portland http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/

Shipping might not be that bad, but I ordered a set of their street/strip axles rather than having mine resplined. It just made more sense, plus you will have a stronger axle and a better alloy. Just my 02

I would like to here the answer to #2,what length axles do I need for b body brakes on an a body housing?

If the axles neck down after the current splined area, no go on re-splining for a factory width A body rear.

Axles need to be right at 28" long, 28.07, if using BBP brakes and a 52.625" housing

Thanks for the input so far. My plan is a set of b-body axles (I will get the rear brakes from the same guy). The pictures show no neck down and they are currently 30 spline. $40 is a great deal and they are local. I looked at Moser and they charge $125 for it but 125 + 40 + 60 (shipping) gets me close to a pair of thier $250 axles new (which is still an option), has anyone used thier PN M30-CST-AB45 axles?
Keep the local reccomendations coming as someone may have local experience.

some one mentioned dutchman i have dutchman axels in my car,,,in the mid 1990s they were the only people making axels for an 8 3/4 rear,, at that time moser wasnt,,,strange stopped 8 3/4 axels,,but since the big boom in mopar at barrett jackson a few years ago moser and others have jumped back on the mopar wagon,,,,

dutchman is closer to you,give them a try,,,

Attachments

• fstfish66 digitial oct 2007 010.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 404
Just called Dutchman and they are $90 a set. Now they brought up a good point about the axles tapering and possibly not enough room on a b-body axle to cut and respline. Is there a better alternative to a b-body? C-bod? Truck?

Dutchman has a good reputation.

Just called Dutchman and they are $90 a set. Now they brought up a good point about the axles tapering and possibly not enough room on a b-body axle to cut and respline. Is there a better alternative to a b-body? C-bod? Truck?

Someone else mentioned that! :)

C body and truck axles are an alternative. Every factory 65-70 B body axle I've ever seen has the taper/step down.

you could just have Dutchman make you the axles however you need them.

my friend just had a set made for his 67 barracuda. I think he has a B-body 8 3/4 in the car. He is on his way over I'll ask what he paid for them. Dutchman is right up the street from me.

Not sure what you want to spend , but Dr Diff offers new axles complete with new green bearing and studs for $300. If you have to buy another set of used axles to have resplined and add new bearings you may not be far from that and they are a better alloy.

I copied and pasted from Dr. Diff add off of moparts:

New high-strength 30 spline 8 3/4 axle package. Most lengths. Includes green wheel bearings and standard length lug studs installed. $300 pair. Choice of standard length, or 3" lug studs

Contact info: (406) 883-4772 10-6 Mountain time, M-F

There's a shop in Fife that does axles. When I get back from vacation I will get the name. When shortening axles, you will want c-body or truck.

If these guys can't do it, they may be a good place to start asking questions.

http://www.strangetransmission.com/

Also: There was a gentleman I spoke to about 5 years back (a craigslist ad) who had a shop of some sort (differential? transmissions?), but narrowed housings & axles. His name was Doug Dye, but I no longer have the number. Perhaps the folks in the link above have heard of him.

The Tacoma & Puyallup Area's have quite a few 'hot rod niche' shops that not a lot of people know about, but they seem to know one-another. They're worth hunting down and squeezing info from.

Good luck. I ended up going Moser in the end.

-
Back