Who else all likes Stingrays?

-

j-miller

Demonized by Dodge
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
........Schwinn Stingray's that is.
I just got a 1967 Schwinn 16" midget stingray today and never knew they made that size. I was hoping it was bigger for me to ride but hell it's cool as **** and love it. It's cool the way it is but it may get restored later on. Now I will have to find one for me to ride.

Attachments

• 2012-10-09_14-10-32_913_Conestoga.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 2012-10-09_14-11-19_23_Conestoga.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 278
The 5 speed one was one of my first bicycles........wish I did not beat it to death....

I thought you meant one of these John:D

This was one of mine years ago

Attachments

• 22a (Medium).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 250
Yeah not that kind of stingray Tony.......even thou that is a nice one you had.

i just sold my 68 schwinn orange crate.. i come to realize that i cannot keep all my toys and restore them all.. so it had to go..

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!oUF!ceCKvqBBQTnIf)(dw~~60_35.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 226
I've been into Stingrays since about '98 or so. Never had one as a kid, just had a purple Western flyer banana seat bike. The bright red shifter bike is a real Schwinn, but it's a mutt. I bought it sight unseen off of a bike collector's forum. I bought the stick shifter for it off of ebay. The wide apehanger bars were taken off of a Girls' Schwinn Fairlady that I bought just for the bars, rear fender and banana seat, then resold it.
The candy red Apple Krate coaster bike is a 1998 reissue from the original Chicago blueprints. That one sat outside a Houston bike shop for six months until I finally went in and inquired about it. No one was willing to pay the $195.00 asking price. The shop owner let me make payments on it, and eventually I got to take it home. This is their web page
http://www.sprocketsbicycles.com/

The bare bike frame on the ground is an original five speed Lemon Peeler Krate frame. To restore it, I might have to part out the other two bikes!

Attachments

• bike pixx1 011.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 211
  • bike pixx1 007.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 213
  • bike pixx1 004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 214
I always wanted one. Grew up dirt poor.Kids in the neighborhood had them.Not to long ago I was in a bike shop and the guy had one on display.A Grape Krate. He said he had 6 still in boxes from the late 60's early 70's but wouldn't sell any. Just my luck.

I used to have a Red Stingray 5 speed with the thumb shifter. Took great care of it. Then sold it to my friend's younger brother so I could buy a Schwinn 10 speed Varsity.

I always wanted a Schwinn Krate bike when I was a kid. I never got one, but was able to at least ride one that a neighbor owned.

Now that I'm older, I would still like to have one, but the prices of those damned bikes puts them out of reach. My 13 year old son wants one now, and I can't afford to buy it for him either. LOL

Those were the coolest thing on 2 wheels back in the early 70's.

George

I used to have a Red Stingray 5 speed with the thumb shifter. Took great care of it. Then sold it to my friend's younger brother so I could buy a Schwinn 10 speed Varsity.
i just got an original varsity from 71 it's really nice i'll get a pic today and post it

Not to go too far off topic, but old Stingrays are in short supply now thanks to Evel Knievel and BMX.
Lots of Stingrays got mangled by kids who tried their best to emulate Evel Kneivel's famous motorcycle stunts in the 70's. Usually their folks were so furious they refused to pay for repairs or buy a replacement bike.
When the BMX craze hit in the late 70's and early 80's, many Stingrays were updated to the BMX style. Slicks got tossed in the trash to make way for knobby tires. All the chrome flash and banana seats also got canned to save weight, handlebars got replaced by the padded BMX style. Schwinn even released their officlal updated model called the Scrambler. So as those bikes got thrashed and worn out, they eventually got thrown away in the 80's.
Whatever Schwinn Stingrays that survived the 70's and 80's now get some good money.

Attachments

• evelposter.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 120
  • stingray jump2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 123
-
Back