Who else ever felt this way?

-

Ant

Reaction score
Some of you may know that I am planning to swap the motor in my 73 Dart 4 door from a 225 slant six to a period correct-ish 318 LA V8. Well, I feel that this decision may be harder than I thought, because now I'm starting to like the slant 6 now that I have running like champ with all of it's issues worked out. Yes, I even have the Holly 1920 carb working perfectly (DeadDodgeGarage can scratch his head with that one) all dialed in with good idle and throttle response. Despite this slant 6 being slow, I like it, it's smooth and quiet, it seems like a happy motor, I'm really loving the slant 6 experience now.

As under powered as the 273 is/was(my fault), it was reliable until I started to mess with it lol. I tried to resist the urge for more power but my machinist made me an offer I couldn't refuse lol.

I have been a fan of the Slant from 1970. A spanking brand new Dart Swinger.
Many many have followed. Right now my 63 Belvedere has a LA 318 but I have everything to install a 225 if the 318 ever craps out.Recently got a 72 Dart 225 at the body shop being gone thru. I get it back in about a year.
I have Slant Sickness.. I cheer for the underdog !

Some of you may know that I am planning to swap the motor in my 73 Dart 4 door from a 225 slant six to a period correct-ish 318 LA V8. Well, I feel that this decision may be harder than I thought, because now I'm starting to like the slant 6 now that I have running like champ with all of it's issues worked out. Yes, I even have the Holly 1920 carb working perfectly (DeadDodgeGarage can scratch his head with that one) all dialed in with good idle and throttle response. Despite this slant 6 being slow, I like it, it's smooth and quiet, it seems like a happy motor, I'm really loving the slant 6 experience now.
I slap fell in love with mine and it was a 170. The little car would scoot. It was very responsive. I WAS going to shoehorn a 400 in it, but I kept it a slant 6 and put this warmed over 225 in it. It puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it.

My Scamp was an slant six car and I pulled it out for a 440 six pack, and as fun as the 440 is I wish I would not done the conversion, the Scamp was as you described just a sweet running, quiet, mostly original car.

My Scamp was an slant six car and I pulled it out for a 440 six pack, and as fun as the 440 is I wish I would not done the conversion, the Scamp was as you described just a sweet running, quiet, mostly original car.
I did the same with no regrets but I do miss how nice and smooth my Slant ran and shifted. It was always a pleasure to drive.

IMHO: just do what you like. My 340 Demon every time I go to the gas station somebody asks what’s under the hood (ignoring the Demon 340 fender emblems) and tells me that thing needs a 440. Right before they drive away in their pregnant roller skate of a mom mobile. The 66’ Barracuda’- I say 273 and they say “you need a v-8” ?!? Maybe I studdered.

Both run perfect and are no slouches. Either way, just build what you want, not what others “THINK” you need.
Syleng1

Drive and enjoy the simplicity.

You can make 'um run too !

IMG_1933.jpg

i can honestly say I've never felt that way about a slant six. too slow and boring for me. i need at least some pep. :)
A slant can be quick, also. My 66 Barracuda with a 170 slant and 3250 lbs went a 12.905 at 101.85 MPH through the mufflers. @Darter6 has seen that car in person. (ran against me at M-D) at time stamp 21.00
All depends what you want.

Last edited:
Wow! Got some good responses here. I have spent so much time to make the V8 swap goe in with as little hassle as possible, finding factory brackets and linkages, had the V8 A904 transmission rebuilt and other stuff. I've put in quite a bit of work to put the new a bit hotrodded motor together. But guess loving the charm of slowest engines sometimes is part of the car guy curse.

Maybe I should find another car, lol.

A slant can be quick, also. My 66 Barracuda with a 170 slant and 3250 lbs went a 12.905 at 101.85 MPH through the mufflers. @Darter6 has seen that car in person. (ran against me at M-D) at time stamp 21.00
All depends what you want.

i never disputed that. but for the work and gear to do it is more then a bigger cube V8. plus the six just doesn't have the sound of a V8.

Last edited:
Wow! Got some good responses here. I have spent so much time to make the V8 swap goe in with as little hassle as possible, finding factory brackets and linkages, had the V8 A904 transmission rebuilt and other stuff. I've put in quite a bit of work to put the new a bit hotrodded motor together. But guess loving the charm of slowest engines sometimes is part of the car guy curse.

Maybe I should find another car, lol.
There is your answer...another car....multiples!!!!!

I admit, over the decades I have had A,B,E cars, hemis to slants and all in between.. I have enjoyed them ALL for what they are!!!

20 years go, I bought a 72 Demon with a totally shot 225 slant, a bud had a totally rebuilt 225 he decided not to use.... bought it and I dropped that in the Demon and found just how good a slant can be!!!! Not fast but GREAT!!

i never disputed that. but for the work and gear to do it is more then a bigger cube V8. plus the six just doesn't have the sound of a V8.
Yeah but the inliners and especially the/6 have a sound all their own much like how Mopar starters have their own sound that you can hear across the parking lot

And the reason why I stick with the/6 in my truck is that for what it cost for the v8 trans, the v8 radiator, the v8 mounts, the v8 exhaust, the truck oil pan and pickup tube that I didn't have to buy any of, gave me that extra money TO improve my/6 when I overhauled it.....

i never disputed that. but for the work and gear to do it is more then a bigger cube V8. p
Yes, it is possible, but It doesn't have to be. I built my 66 Valiant to prove that point. Had the car at the track (granted not street legal) for a total of about $1500 (including buying the car). 1st weekend out (over 3 days) got the car in the high 13's. Currently have about $3,000 in the car, and it runs mid 12's. All depends on what your goals are, and you're building ability's, and whether you need/want the latest and greatest "trick" parts

-
Back