who has converted a 68-72 dart to right hand drive???????????????????

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i am looking to convert a 340 4-speed 71 scamp i hve into a rhd. i know it will be difficult, but i want the wow factor in my build. it is at the body shop right now,and now would be a good time to look into this further.

is there any members who can point me in the right direction.
i know i would have to do alot of fabbing, and swap to a hydrolic clutch setup. i will be refabbing a new dashsetup for it. i think the steering colum will work out of my car. i would modify a new shifter hande to move it to the passenger side about 5 inches. wire harness will be modified and extended/shortened where needed.

does anyone have pics of a aussi car up close, like how the steering box is mounted, and the drag link for the steering. i need to know if i can use my k-frame, and or what fabbing i would need to do.

i may be getting in over my head, but i still want to explore this route

Why do you want to do that?

Mabby try one of the members here from Australia. They would have the most experinces with some thing like that.

Well, everyone has 340 cars. Everyone has 340 4-speed cars, everyone has...........................................................

Who has a 340 4-speed rhdriven 71 scamp, that is driven daily?

YEA, MAYBE OUT NEAR YOU, BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MAILMAN SPORTING A HOTRODDED RHD RIDE.lol

Might wanna check state laws for Virginia. In some states its illegal to have a RHD car and you have to convert to LHD

i am not too worried about that here, as i live in the country, the cops are not too bad, but if i had to, i would just antique tag it, then it is allowed here

It just sounds like too much work for nothing to make it rh drive. You aren't gaining anything and will prob spend a small fortune in time and money. It wil de-value the car greatly unless you plan on keeping the car forever, likely not. Just not worth the effort that a sweet *** well planned paint job would be.

$.02

this is not directed at you helion, but i see that on this site, when someone has a plan, or idea, and it is out of the normal with a mopar, everyone is quick to say, oh, it is a waste of money, or their is no gains. i am not looking for gains, nor if it hurts or adds to the value. ill sell it either way if i want to sell.

you see, i am not a follower. i like to build like a little kid, and if means going off of the beatin path, the better.

I'm with you there, hence the 4dr /6 "sleeper" I built. Just my opinion. It would be different though. I think the K, dash and maybe some brackets are the only trouble really.

It is a waste of money but if that what you want go for it.

You may as well make it a dually. Who has a dually Scamp? LOL

theres a 67 cuda around here that has it... everything is mirrored like, the dash, heater box,

is cool to look at. and i say your car.. if you want to try to accomplish it have fun with it. will be out of normal as you said.

i did stuff to my car some people hate or love... do as you choose, you like it all that matters.

only hard thing would be shifting a 4 speed with your left hand... hard to get use to...

The bulk head ( firewall) is totaly different for a RHD and the steering box is mounted on the chassis rail I will take some pics when I can and post here , one of the MMA guys moved over to the US and took his RHD 67 Cuda with him he races it at the strips , my car is at a mates at the moment getting new rear Qtrs

if your going to the effort why not try and find a rhd car from brazil? lots of them and used for a long long time. like from 67 to sometime in the 80's then you'd have all the parts and wouldn't have to fab anything. Best is it would be a relatively cheap car to buy but downside would be shipping.

i am looking to convert a 340 4-speed 71 scamp i hve into a rhd. i know it will be difficult, but i want the wow factor in my build. it is at the body shop right now,and now would be a good time to look into this further.

is there any members who can point me in the right direction.
i know i would have to do alot of fabbing, and swap to a hydrolic clutch setup. i will be refabbing a new dashsetup for it. i think the steering colum will work out of my car. i would modify a new shifter hande to move it to the passenger side about 5 inches. wire harness will be modified and extended/shortened where needed.

does anyone have pics of a aussi car up close, like how the steering box is mounted, and the drag link for the steering. i need to know if i can use my k-frame, and or what fabbing i would need to do.

i may be getting in over my head, but i still want to explore this route

Mate,I like your thinking.
Something different often pulls more attention at shows than the trophy winners which gives a certain satisfaction on it's own.
Trust me!!! I know the feeling!! I'm a left field type of person myself!!!!

I'm quite prepared to assist in your project in any way I can.
Whether it be sourcing parts or just information and pics.

A mate of mine did a LHD 73 Dart Swinger to RHD using Aussie parts back in the mid 90s so yours would be a reversal.

I'm very familiar with US LHD layouts and Aussie RHD so without blowing my horn I'm arguably one of the best you'll find for advice.

OK.- Down to how I see you'd go about it.

Parts need to come from Aussie VE/VF/VG valiants as these are essentially the same as your 67-76 A-bodies.

The steering.
You'll need Aussie steering box, lower balljoints,idler arm,pitman arm - maybe drag link.Not 100% sure on the drag link.I'd have to check that for you.
I'd also need to know if the bolts that secure the lower balljoint to the stub axle are smaller 1/2" or the larger 9/16".Both are available in Aussie lower balljoints but we won't go into the Aussie applications.It'd just be too much information overload.

Where the main steering difference is is in the steering box location.US steering boxes sit forward of the draglink whereas the Aussie ones sit behind.Thus the differing parts mentioned above.
The steering box and idler arm are both mounted off brackets welded to the chassis rails.
Your US steering column will be too long.Not sure if you can shorten it to make it work.Our Aussie columns don't have a pot coupler like your US stuff.They have a steering rag pretty well identical to C-bodies.Well....my brother's LHD 65 Fury has the rag setup.

K-frame.
I see no reason why you can't use your US K-frame and just cut off extraneous mounts for steering box and idler arm.Aussie engines are offset to the right the same as the US as our floor pressings are the same as yours.

The firewall
Aussie and US are pretty much a mirror reversal of each other.As it would be a bulky item to ship over why not fab up a flat firewall and make it work?All the show cars seem to go for flat firewalls.It would also solve another problem - the wipers.To change the sweep would be a big job as this requires replacing the plenum.One problem is good aussie plenums/cowls are now hard to find as this is a bad rust area in aussie valiants.Also our local wiper motors are different and the wiring and switch is VERY different.I can't get my head around how the US ones work so I assume you'd have the same hassles with aussie ones.Stick to what you're familiar with!!!!

Master Cylinder.
You'd probably have to get an Aussie one so the ports were on the RHS.

Exhaust
If you're just running manifolds then a pair of centre drop 360 manifolds are what Aussie cars had.
If you want extractors (headers)I see 3 options.
1.Custom made locally
2.Aussie Pacemaker headers but they're not real big pipes.
3.A mate of mine sent a half cut of an Aussie Valiant to TTI who made him 50 sets of step headers to fit RHD that have proven to flow 600hp.They're not cheap but if you wanted to go this way i can point you in the right direction.

Pedals and linkages
You'd be right with the hydraulic clutch idea.Would be easiest.
Some early slant 6 AP5s (63-64) valiants had a crossover linkage arrangement as they used US bellhousings but they were messy and notoriously sloppy because of all the joints.
No good soucing an Aussie V8 bellhousing as we never had A833s.Only BorgWarners which aren't all that strong and the gearbox bolt pattern and size of the front bearing cover are different.
Stick with your US stuff there.
As for the stick - just bend or cut and make one offset to suit you.
Not sure if the Aussie and US pedals and pedal boxes are the same.An exchange of photos could determine that.

Dash
An Aussie dash frame would be easiest but once again a bulky item to ship.
I don't reckon it'd be too hard to cut and shut yours but if it was an aussie one wouldn't be hard to source.

Small items I can think of are speedo and throttle cables.Ours are longer coz they run to the other side of the car.

If the above info doesn't frighten you then give me the go ahead and I'll start finding pictures.

I reckon it'll make a very interesting thread for US readers!!!!

I'm quite prepared to assist in your project in any way I can.
Whether it be sourcing parts or just information and pics.

A mate of mine did a LHD 73 Dart Swinger to RHD using Aussie parts back in the mid 90s so yours would be a reversal.

I'm very familiar with US LHD layouts and Aussie RHD so without blowing my horn I'm arguably one of the best you'll find for advice.

OK.- Down to how I see you'd go about it.

Parts need to come from Aussie VE/VF/VG valiants as these are essentially the same as your 67-76 A-bodies.

The steering.
You'll need Aussie steering box, lower balljoints,idler arm,pitman arm - maybe drag link.Not 100% sure on the drag link.I'd have to check that for you.
I'd also need to know if the bolts that secure the lower balljoint to the stub axle are smaller 1/2" or the larger 9/16".Both are available in Aussie lower balljoints but we won't go into the Aussie applications.It'd just be too much information overload.

Where the main steering difference is is in the steering box location.US steering boxes sit forward of the draglink whereas the Aussie ones sit behind.Thus the differing parts mentioned above.
The steering box and idler arm are both mounted off brackets welded to the chassis rails.
Your US steering column will be too long.Not sure if you can shorten it to make it work.Our Aussie columns don't have a pot coupler like your US stuff.They have a steering rag pretty well identical to C-bodies.Well....my brother's LHD 65 Fury has the rag setup.

K-frame.
I see no reason why you can't use your US K-frame and just cut off extraneous mounts for steering box and idler arm.Aussie engines are offset to the right the same as the US as our floor pressings are the same as yours.

The firewall
Aussie and US are pretty much a mirror reversal of each other.As it would be a bulky item to ship over why not fab up a flat firewall and make it work?All the show cars seem to go for flat firewalls.It would also solve another problem - the wipers.To change the sweep would be a big job as this requires replacing the plenum.One problem is good aussie plenums/cowls are now hard to find as this is a bad rust area in aussie valiants.Also our local wiper motors are different and the wiring and switch is VERY different.I can't get my head around how the US ones work so I assume you'd have the same hassles with aussie ones.Stick to what you're familiar with!!!!

Master Cylinder.
You'd probably have to get an Aussie one so the ports were on the RHS.

Exhaust
If you're just running manifolds then a pair of centre drop 360 manifolds are what Aussie cars had.
If you want extractors (headers)I see 3 options.
1.Custom made locally
2.Aussie Pacemaker headers but they're not real big pipes.
3.A mate of mine sent a half cut of an Aussie Valiant to TTI who made him 50 sets of step headers to fit RHD that have proven to flow 600hp.They're not cheap but if you wanted to go this way i can point you in the right direction.

Pedals and linkages
You'd be right with the hydraulic clutch idea.Would be easiest.
Some early slant 6 AP5s (63-64) valiants had a crossover linkage arrangement as they used US bellhousings but they were messy and notoriously sloppy because of all the joints.
No good soucing an Aussie V8 bellhousing as we never had A833s.Only BorgWarners which aren't all that strong and the gearbox bolt pattern and size of the front bearing cover are different.
Stick with your US stuff there.
As for the stick - just bend or cut and make one offset to suit you.
Not sure if the Aussie and US pedals and pedal boxes are the same.An exchange of photos could determine that.

Dash
An Aussie dash frame would be easiest but once again a bulky item to ship.
I don't reckon it'd be too hard to cut and shut yours but if it was an aussie one wouldn't be hard to source.

Small items I can think of are speedo and throttle cables.Ours are longer coz they run to the other side of the car.

If the above info doesn't frighten you then give me the go ahead and I'll start finding pictures.

I reckon it'll make a very interesting thread for US readers!!!![/QUOTE]

ok, since i am not here to please anyone but myself, and i do like a challange., please start the pics, and i will also post of mysetup. it would be greatly appreciated for the help sourcing the parts./////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////.

i do not need a dash, as i am sure i can mirror my dash, by using a non-rally type, wich i have already out of a car.

i am not too worried about the wiper issue. i do not see , other than clearance under the dash, that i cannot just keep my wipers that i have.

how much does a steering column go for? steering box? is it hard to find a heater box?. if it is, ill modify a a heater setup i have out of a 30's ford, which did not come in them, but was bought aftermarket back then, and it is almost like a universal heater. this car will not be driven in the rain or snow, so it is not that big of deal. i would like to have it though, just to know i was able to convert without loosing any funtions of the car

Steering box won't cost a lot.
A column for a floorshift (that is,blank coffee cup/no gear lever)can get pricey.Columns that were column shift are relatively cheap.
The VE column is pretty much the same as earlier narrow chassis a-bodies.
VF/VG columns had an early crush can arrangement and I'm pretty sure they're different to anything you had in the US.
Heater boxes can be hard to find(though not impossible)as heaters were always an option.We're a lot warmer over here than you!!!Probably pay abt 50-100 bucks.

anyway some Aussie sterring pics.

valenginepics111.jpg

Behind the lca you can see the steering box mounting
83606167.jpg

Aussie manual steer box
sbox1.jpg

Here's another one
file.php

And a pic of the VF/VG steering column
file.php

Power steer box - they make it REALLY tight to fit pipes on that side!!!
P2251690.JPG

-
Back