Who has had good experiences with the Brawler series of carburetors?

-
I've had mine on Vixen over two years. Zero issues and holds a tune steady wherever I adjust it. I do run ethanol gas in her, but only because I drive her so frequently it won't matter. In fact, I recommend ethanol fuel as long as you drive one regularly, since it aids in keeping detonation at bay.

@Kern Dog. These carbs are just as nice in person as they are in the pictures. IIRC, one of these carbs is 710 bucks from ATM. I bought the builders kits and saved some money.

I could have bought the carbs with cast metering blocks and base plate, but the cost to upgrade to billet was so economical I did the upgrade.

Some of the cheaper carbs come with only one sight glass in the float bowls. These have them on both sides. For a tunnel ram sight glasses on both sides is a big bonus.

I think these are a smoking deal.

IMG_1196.jpeg

The last two Brawler carbs I've bought have been "factory refurbished" and were essentially brand new, but at about 65% of the cost of new. The one I've used has performed flawlessly and is very easy to tune. The other one is a 950 that'll go on the 470 I'll build for my project car. @Kern Dog - you may want to see if they have any in the version you're looking for.

I’ve been a Holley guy for years. I like their simplicity and interchangeability.
They sure have gone up in price though.
I see these Brawlers that look like Holleys. The Roadkill guys have used them on project cars too.
I’m in need of a good 600 cfm single feed 4 barrel for my 67 Dart. I have a mild 360 with a MP 280/474 cam and a simple 2 1/4” dual exhaust setup.
The Holley on it now needs a rebuild but I’m pressed for time with other things. I can make time for a swap but not a rebuild.
What are your thoughts of these Brawler carburetors? Sometimes those knock-offs are junk, sometimes they are fine.
Let me know what you think.

View attachment 1716202908
Might just be lucky but I have had decent results with them. I just put one on a 340 for a customer and it made the same power on the dyno as my holley hp ultra. There are different versions of the brawler (Quick fuel owned by holley) series of carbs just like the holleys. This is just my opinion but it seems like with brawlers and holleys if you have a race type motor then use the race type carb. By that I mean something with no choke, double pumper, etc.. If you have a motor that is more like a stock motor then use a carb with a choke on it advertised as a street carb. The calibration of the carb is better suited for the motor right out of the box. Not saying that either carb couldn't be tuned to work on either type of motor if you wanted to.

11 second street car.
I was having a bunch of trouble with my ancient 4781 (so old it didn't have a dash number), so I bought an 850 race brawler from Speedway as a kit. Came with a very nice fuel line (that they sell for over $100) fuel pressure gauge for the line and a nice 14x3 drop base a/c.
It ran perfectly. Instantly, a great idle, out of the box.
But the car sat with old fuel in it because I hadn't fixed my brake trouble.
When I went to start it a few weeks later, there was no pump shot,, front or rear., I had to clear out both pump passages and assorted other places. I'm SURE, it was not the fault of the carb,most likely old avgas mixed with 91 that I was using.
But now, a couple more months later, I'm getting the same problem as with the old 4781, backfiring through the carb, and carb fires.
I'll figure it out. I really doubt it's the carb.
Too much cam overlap. Ignition firing up the intake, instead of it going down the power stroke > then out the exhaust.

-
Back