Who is a 68 Barracuda dash history expert?

-

cudapower68

Reaction score
I was wondering if a 68 barracuda ever had a straight grain ralley dash in it? They are supposed to be burl wood style but I have read that late year dashes were changed to straight grain like the 69 barracuda. Does anyone know for sure if they changed in mid year or is this someones wishful thinking because the burl style is not available. Thanks for your expertise. Also does anyone know of an available burl grain insert?

Not an endorsement but PG Classics Wood Grain is the Burl style not straight. This is their 68-69 WG Non-AC
Mopar Parts | MA571 | 1968-69 Barracuda With AC Woodgrain And Silver Rallye Instrument Bezel | Classic Industries
316DW-69KIT Mopar 1968-69 A-body Woodgrain Rallye Dash Bezel Kit (NO AC)
316dw-69kit__14221.1418351165.1280.1280.jpg

Also check Performance Car Graphics
A-body Rallye Wood Duster Dart Demon Cuda Barracuda

Woodgrain_A-body_Rallye.jpg

Great, I did not find that on Performance Car Graphics site. I'll also look at the others. Thank you

And yes the wood grain changed in mid 68 model year. The burlwood was pre 68 and on the dash and front door panels only. The linear woodgrain trim expanded to cover consoles, rear side panels, etc... from mid 68 up.

in the typical chrysler parts practice of installing "whatever is on the shelf", the "new" 68 barracuda formula S i had in early 1969 had the burl wood dash accent. the burl wood was on ALL 1967 barracuda dashs and was carried over to some 1968 models. ALL the 1969 barracudas had the straight wood grain dash accents. it was very common with chrysler products when approaching the end of a model year run for left over parts that were not "new design" parts to be used up on the assembly lines on the next year's models. typically, the old parts were continued to be installed until supplies ran out and then the newer parts would be installed on the new car models. this happened on almost all areas of the cars - engine, drive train, body and interior.

in the typical chrysler parts practice of installing "whatever is on the shelf", the "new" 68 barracuda formula S i had in early 1969 had the burl wood dash accent. the burl wood was on ALL 1967 barracuda dashs and was carried over to some 1968 models. ALL the 1969 barracudas had the straight wood grain dash accents. it was very common with chrysler products when approaching the end of a model year run for left over parts that were not "new design" parts to be used up on the assembly lines on the next year's models. typically, the old parts were continued to be installed until supplies ran out and then the newer parts would be installed on the new car models. this happened on almost all areas of the cars - engine, drive train, body and interior.

"Use the leftovers" was practiced in some areas but I doubt that applies here, not at these burlwood printed aluminum overlays. The 67 rallye bezel had no more than a small slot at the fan switch so the overlay matched that. The 68 and later bezels have a box with raised letter labeling at the fan switch so that overlay was stamped for that bezel.
One might imagine they took the 67 leftovers back to processing and restamped that fan switch window. While I know for fact that the length of the 2 slots in the heat only climate control window was reduced in the 68 and later bezels, I'm not absolutely sure the overall dimensions of the box/window were reduced accordingly. If so, adding material back to the 67 overlays could not happen.

-
Back