Who Is At The Wheel?

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
ok not trying to be political here but this just makes me sick. if this needs to be moved to the political fourm then so be it. i do not subscribe to that fourm nor do i want to. i also do not want to start a war here, but enough is enough. it is apperant that obama and the dems are going to run our lives and tell us what we can and can't drive. if they think doing this is going to help the auto indstry, they are wrong. it is going to be the death of it..... found this in the mornings headlines on aol's welcome page read for yourself and see what you think......

"Depending on how active the Obama administration chooses to be regarding the operation of General Motors and Chrysler (the government already forced out GM CEO Rick Wagoner), bureaucrats may restrict the types of cars these two manufacturers sell in the post bail out future. Government leaders such as Nancy Pelosi have already voiced the opinion that Americans should drive smaller, more efficient vehicles. Conditions on the bail out funds may be the vehicle used to force GM and Chrysler to build only what Washington wants them to build. Additionally, changing emissions regulations will force Ford Motor Company and other producers to follow suit..."

More Fuel-Efficient Cars

"Currently, government mileage targets are 35 mpg by 2020. The Obama administration may change this goal and increase the mpg even further. In general, meeting the "35" rule mandates small, lightweight vehicles with small, highly-efficient engines"

Disappearing Cars

"In a move largely seen as giving in to Washington, General Motors recently closed it High Performance Vehicles division. The HPV team was largely responsible for GM's most exciting cars including the Cadillac CTS-V and the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1."

"Bureaucrats have little use for performance-oriented V-8 powered cars, so don't expect cars like the Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Camaro SS, or Dodge Challenger R/T to survive long term. Their survival is no longer tied to customer demand, but to the demands of the government that now controls the product portfolios and development dollars at GM and Chrysler. Recently, GM announced it was killing its Pontiac brand, a concept that seemed to define performance all by itself some decades ago. Now that brand is gone.

Ford Motor Company will also likely be affected. New emissions regulations may keep future V-8 editions of the Mustang in the barn.

According to John Wolkonowicz, Senior Analyst at HIS Global Insight, "With Obama's plan, everything changes in the domestic automotive world. The government will be able to dictate what General Motors and Chrysler can sell. Washington believes it knows what Americans should drive, and this bail out gives them the means to dramatically change the market." Wolkonowicz sees the potential for a significant narrowing of choice in the automotive market. He says, "With the power given them by the bail out, the government can simply mandate certain classes of cars and trucks out of existence, regardless of whether they are popular with American drivers or not."

"After studying the government's response to GM's survival plan, Wolkonowicz believes that the only way for GM to secure government funds will be to become even smaller than they had proposed. The analyst expects GM to shrink to just two divisions, Cadillac and Chevrolet. Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, and HUMMER will all cease to exist. While GM will soldier on in its smaller form, Wolkonowicz doesn't expect Chrysler to survive in its current form, even with news that Fiat has agreed to a broad partnership. If Wolkonowicz is wrong, the Fiat connection would provide Chrysler with needed small car vehicle platforms, but the fate of vehicles such as the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 doesn't look good. Customer demand is directly superseded by political interest in ecology and energy policy. In other words, manufacturers will only sell vehicles the government allows them to sell"..........

"Even with ever-present worries of fuel prices, some 70-percent of the orders for Chevrolet's all-new 2010 Camaro are for the V-8 edition that produces over 400 horsepower (while achieving up to 25 mpg on the highway). Clearly, American drivers want what they want. The question is whether that matches what the U.S. government will want Detroit to build."

I saw this coming a mile away. With the bailout comes government ownership. With goverment ownership comes government mandates and there goes our freedom of choice.

It won't be long 'till they come up with such ridiculous fees and usage restrictions that owning a classic car will become impossible for the average man and become toys only for the very rich. They won't out and out ban them as that would cause too much outright consternation.

Bit by bit, they'll tax and legislate them out of our hands. With words like "If it only saves one life, won't it be worth it?" and "It's really for the children" plus "All the money is for a good cause". We'll be turned into outlaws and criminals by our own government. They'll close down drag strips all across the country yet let Hollywood pollute the air with thier stunts and our minds with thier ridiculously poor morals as they are a medium to placate the masses with filth and gore. They don't want us to go to a race that starts with a prayer and the american anthem. That breeds thoughts of independence and freedom and they are afraid that we "..will cling to our religion and guns".

In the words from a song I heard in the 90's,

"Good bye freedom, hello mom"

The Bill of Rights just disappeared
There it is - whoops it's gone!
Goodbye Freedom, Hello Mom
All your rights just disappeared
Everybody stay calm.

...1984 has past, forget about Big Brother,
Welcome to the 90's where the government's your
mother.

OK, done ranting. I feel much better now, lol. :)

You two guys are absolutely correct. It is sad that so many others do not see the forest for the trees.

HPV made image cars for GM. They are important as a brand "halo", but because of low production volumes and high R&D cost, GM loses money or at best breaks even on every sale. For a company on the dole, they are making a responsible decision. I'm not happy about it either, but that's the facts.

The press release I read said that they'll be looking into reinstating it (if) when they return to profitability.

As far as the government goes, you may or may not like it, but without their intervention GM would at a minimum be in bankruptcy by now and chrysler would have faced liquidation in January.

GM being the biggest of the big 3,why didn,t they sell off and re-structure before asking for bailout money?Ford has been restructuring for some years now.They sold 1/3 of Mazda,all of Jaguar and Land Rover and more I can,t think of now,but if Gm had sold some of it,s other operations then the Government would,nt have a hand in it!Don,t want to start anything,just my opinion.

what ever the case is i for one do not want to be told what to buy. i do not want a plastic econo-box car. if i want one i will go out and get one. i like choice. choice equalls freedom. i too forsee all forms of motor sports being frowned upon. if the car companies can only be made to make econo-box cars then what future will there be in any form of raceing? nascar back to the v6 or 4 banger? small cube or bubble cars on dragstrips? are we all destined to become ricers? what future will there be for the v8 engine? what will happen to all of the engine part companies that will get affected by this? could crane have been a sign of the times? i had said it before in another thread when ponitac announced it was shutting down that it was a bad thing. pontiac is and was a performance division. when it was announced it was shutting down i knew that it was going to have ripple effects. i just didn't know it was going to be this big of a deal. we haven't seen the whole picture laid out yet. the goverment gives it to us in little doses so as not to scare us too bad. it is a sad sad world we live in today. our country will be ground into the ground in less than 4 years, even worse if a second term happens........i am sorry if this makes anyone angry, but i had to vent some. we need to take our lives back before the goverment takes away every right and freedom we have left.........that is all i will say

Bankruptsy is just what is needed.

BINGO...that way, they could still operate under protection of the courts, while restructuring. Force the UAW to see some common sense and let the car companies out from under the stranglehold of those ridiculous UAW contracts. While maybe not the single largest, definitely one huge reason Toyota has been so much more profitable building their vehicle here than the Big 3 is that the financial burden of Toyota's labor contracts is about 1/2 that of the Big 3.

-
Back