Who is BS'ing who?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I know what my 360 will give me, I'm very well satisfied with it.

I do 11.8 on the highway and 7-8 in stop and go town driving.

Yes Geof, SMG's

360 +.060
Edelbrock Performer RPM alum. heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake
Edelbrock 500 CFM four barrel
MSD 6AL Box with MSD wires and Dizzy
Comp XE284 flat tappet cam
Roller Rockers
Big bore 360 cast iron exhaust manifolds
TTI 2-1/2" exhaust system with the H pipe
Dynomax Super-Turbo Mufflers
8-3/4 with 3.55 gears
2800-3200 convertor
28" tires in rear
Stock 1972 360 compression (dished pistons down in the hole)

Love the sound and the performance.

Wow, what stories are being told here about gas mileage. I have read with much interest the reported 12-18 mpg with 408 strokers and 360's, I say caca to this. What are you doing coasting downhill, never going over 30 mph putting it in neutral at every opportunity? My previous engine a 318 with a 280/480 cam, 600 holley, 904 tranny, 323 gears and a 3000 stall converter NEVER got over 11 mpg on it's best day, 18 mpg with a 408 BULL CACA. I now have about 250 miles on the new Mopar crate 360/380 magnum with a 770 Holley street avenger, Mopar M1 intake, 904 tranny, 323 sure grip and 3000 stall and the mileage is 8mpg not 12 or 15 or 18 as some people claim. I really don't care, if I wanted mileage I would have gone to a 6 cyl. I just like to put out factual information to other folks that may be interested or curious as to MPG in a certain drive train and engine and not fantasy. By the way my Ford diesel doest get 18-20 mpg either as some folks claim. (end rant)
:thumbrig:

Anyone who buys any older car, especially a muscle car, and is concerned about mileage is an idiot. If you want mileage, go buy a Prius or a Civic. You want looks and speed, buy a muscle car. I never checked the mileage on my Dart. All I know is it costs $30 a day to drive it to work and back.

That is the point, thank you, I don't give two nickles about mileage or as said I wouldn't have what I have. However, when I read a couple of claims to 18- 20 mpg with similiar set-ups, that is not the whole story. The whole story is that if I drove my car like the little old lady I would get better mpg, but then why have the cars we have and invest the money we do to talk about mpg. It seem to me that talking about mpg and strokers and high stalls and 400 hp don't even belong on the same post. Seems like a few people didn't understand or perhaps I didn't word it right. My car will never get 15 mpg or anything close to that, my car was built for fun and turning heads. I bought a Nissan for mpg. I never drive less than 45-50 mph and I get there as fast as possible, it gives me a woody and makes me smile. My car can't drive 35 mph because I won't let it.

:cheers:

When I took my 408 on the Car Craft Antitour it was about a 600 mile round trip. On one leg of the trip I did see 13 mpg and it probably averaged 11mpg.
On all kinds of roads mountains, towns, and freeways.

68 Dart
4:10
28" tire
gear vendor overdrive

Car is not really dialed in for fuel economy just an out of the box carb installed with no real tuning to say. I'm sure there is potential to get at least a couple more miles to gallon.

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 234
You can decent mileage with the right combo of parts. Call it BS if you want to..

People getting good fuel mileage can because of today's technology- mostly EFI and OD transmissions. That stuff costs money though...

People getting decent mileage using old school technology have a well thought out combo and know how to tune it. My buddies '74 Duster with a 318 got an easy 20mpg(hwy) when he first got it done. Stock bottom end and heads, headers, Edelbrock Performer and Performer 600 carb, 429/444 (340 spec) Wolverine Blue Racer cam, 904 auto and 2.76 gears. I've rode it many times and I don't care who says BS about it...

I am 29 and drive a '65 Newport Coupe with a mild 400, 727 and 8.75 (2.76 gears). It gets about 15mpg average. I drive it to college daily and I still say it's much much cheaper than making a car payment. I know a chick making a $372 monthly payment for her Ford Focus because it gets good gas mileage. The he// with that..I can buy a lot of gas for $372.

I will never understand making a huge monthly payment to get mileage. That's just me though...

Wow, what stories are being told here about gas mileage. I have read with much interest the reported 12-18 mpg with 408 strokers and 360's, I say caca to this. What are you doing coasting downhill, never going over 30 mph putting it in neutral at every opportunity? My previous engine a 318 with a 280/480 cam, 600 holley, 904 tranny, 323 gears and a 3000 stall converter NEVER got over 11 mpg on it's best day, 18 mpg with a 408 BULL CACA. I now have about 250 miles on the new Mopar crate 360/380 magnum with a 770 Holley street avenger, Mopar M1 intake, 904 tranny, 323 sure grip and 3000 stall and the mileage is 8mpg not 12 or 15 or 18 as some people claim. I really don't care, if I wanted mileage I would have gone to a 6 cyl. I just like to put out factual information to other folks that may be interested or curious as to MPG in a certain drive train and engine and not fantasy. By the way my Ford diesel doest get 18-20 mpg either as some folks claim. (end rant)

A 318 with that combo seems really mismatched IMO and would have no chance to get decent gas mileage- especially the 3000 stall converter..

its easy to make any engine get a reasonable mileage even with a built motor...

the motor needs to run in its rpm range first... so with a big cam hyw gears are gonna kill you... you need to be cruzing at 3 grand or so going down the road...

i get 20hwy with my built slant... 600DP holley, 246* @ .050 cam, 3500 stall converter and 3.91's... i just go 63mph and i got 20 all the way to vegas and back for MATS last year...

its all about efficiency...

its easy to make any engine get a reasonable mileage even with a built motor...

the motor needs to run in its rpm range first... so with a big cam hyw gears are gonna kill you... you need to be cruzing at 3 grand or so going down the road...

i get 20hwy with my built slant... 600DP holley, 246* @ .050 cam, 3500 stall converter and 3.91's... i just go 63mph and i got 20 all the way to vegas and back for MATS last year...

its all about efficiency...

exactly, if you run it in the cams power band 'low side of it preferably' you will add the the fuel economy.

exactly, if you run it in the cams power band 'low side of it preferably' you will add the the fuel economy.

ive heard different theories as to is you shoulds run when the cam "cleans out" or peak tq...

i think its somewhere in the middle lol

Just by a 1000cc sport bike, good mpg and the abilty to cover ground very quickly....my old 2002 GSXR 1000, with a good rider, would dip into the 9's and got damn close to 50 mpg on the road.....

When I took my 408 on the Car Craft Antitour it was about a 600 mile round trip. On one leg of the trip I did see 13 mpg and it probably averaged 11mpg.
On all kinds of roads mountains, towns, and freeways.

68 Dart
4:10
28" tire
gear vendor overdrive

Car is not really dialed in for fuel economy just an out of the box carb installed with no real tuning to say. I'm sure there is potential to get at least a couple more miles to gallon.

That is something that is reasonable and should be expected. Thanks for not saying you got 20 mpg.

Just by a 1000cc sport bike, good mpg and the abilty to cover ground very quickly....my old 2002 GSXR 1000, with a good rider, would dip into the 9's and got damn close to 50 mpg on the road.....

Right on brother, my V/Star 1100 gets 45 mpg at 70-80 mph. on the road.

Hell, I get better than 11 with my Dakota R/T towing my Dart with the cruise set on 75.

By the way my Ford diesel doest get 18-20 mpg either as some folks claim. (end rant)

Thats good to hear my Ford 4X4 with 7.3 only gets 14mpg going downhill and gets about 7-8 after hooking up a 13,000# toy box trailer. I thought it would be better once broken in, but I have about 260,000 miles on it now. lol...

72 340 4 speed Challenger with 3.55 L60 15 tires and crane cam and would average 17 mpg

67 Barracuda 273 hipo big cam who knows what the rear was and a stock auto trans (was a dumb 16 year old) got 10 -11 mpg at best

67 Dart with 71 340, Comp cam, big valves, 4 speed 3.23 gear 225 70 14 tires with 700 dual line double pump Holley 10 mpg with 650 edelbrock 14 mpg

can I afford to drive it, yes, do I worry about gas mileage, no since I don't drive it daily. If I was to drive it to work as a daily driver I would not have a 340 in it, the slant 6 would have stayed in it, but with the faulty choke it only got 14 mpg when I drove it to car show in Ohio with the 6

The combo, how and where you drive has a lot to do with gas mileage.

My 69 SS 396 375 hp 4.10 gear chevelle got great mileage if you didn't put your foot in it, my 71 351 Cleveland Mach 1 also did great.

I remember driving my 340 Challenger to the lake a lot and leaving my new 77 Aspen with 360 at home since the gas mileage was about the same and the Challenger was more fun to drive with the 4 speed

I cruise down the road in sixth with 355 gears and @ 2000 rpm, my truck is going 90 mph and still get an average of 20 mpg

Vacuum gauges make a difference. It gives the best indicator of your throttle usage. Took my daughter's 318is BMW to Las Vegas from Orange County. It had an in dash vacuum gauge. I kept it in the green zone as much as possible and ended up getting 39 mpg for a 275 mile trip.

My car is a bone stock original 73 Duster with a 318 2bbl, 904 tranny and a single trac 2.76 geared rear end. I drive to HIGH SCHOOL and around town every weekday and cruise it almost every weekend. I have the a/c on most of the time(good ole Texas climate) and my foot ocasionally gets "numb" at a stoplight or intersection. It, on average gets around 17 to 18mpg every week, and around 20 on the highway (2.76 gears). I can fill my 16 gallon fuel tank up for about $45 dollars. I usually can go without refueling for 10 to 12 days. It is my only car, if I leave the house I am in my Duster. I would drive nothing but a mopar muscle car since before I could drive, I didn't care about mpgs I just wanted an old mopar like dad, I just got lucky with this A body "economy car".

My Barracuda averages 10 mpgs with a healthy 340, 4 speed, 3.91 gears and a 26" tire.

I think some people post their best (steady speed on a long flat highway) and this throws people off.

I get 11 mpg and have the same engine and gears but an auto trans and 3,000 stall. I credit the dual 500 Carters, my single holley got 9 mpg

driving style has a little to do with it but you can't get 11 mpg with any newer car with a v6 engine. I tried, believe me. Always gets high teens or better

Yeah and we had 45 mph winds today and 55 degrees. It was great driving weather--in a car, lol. And I didn't have to watch out for wide cracks on the pavement. Those bikes are awesome but darn if I ever ride one, i'm not prefect, i screw up once in a while, a motorcycle gives you no 2nd chances...they also stink in the rain, i fishtail in the rain, lol

My car is a bone stock original 73 Duster with a 318 2bbl, 904 tranny and a single trac 2.76 geared rear end. I drive to HIGH SCHOOL and around town every weekday and cruise it almost every weekend. I have the a/c on most of the time(good ole Texas climate) and my foot ocasionally gets "numb" at a stoplight or intersection. It, on average gets around 17 to 18mpg every week, and around 20 on the highway (2.76 gears). I can fill my 16 gallon fuel tank up for about $45 dollars. I usually can go without refueling for 10 to 12 days. It is my only car, if I leave the house I am in my Duster. I would drive nothing but a mopar muscle car since before I could drive, I didn't care about mpgs I just wanted an old mopar like dad, I just got lucky with this A body "economy car".
\\

yes, he posted about built strokers and most of those rides also have 3.55 gears

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back