Who is overfilling my crankcase oil?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Everyone! No matter which vehicle I take, to whatever garage or oil change specialty shop, everyone seems to be overfilling my crankcase by about a quart. Sometimes I remember to ask them to under-fill by a quart, which is the only time that it shows correctly on the dipstick. The oil filters appear to be smaller and smaller and smaller every year. Is the oil filter capacity what is now messing up the crankcase levels? Can't think of any other viable explanation.

I can offer an explanation; change the oil yourself. I shudder to think about anyone else doing my oil changes. It takes 10 minutes.

If you must have some one else do your job, tell them to read the sticker that says how much capacity your vehicle holds, and follow it.

They are probably putting on a tiny oil filter instead of the standard size filter the factory puts on. I have seen it many times. They use the tiny filter to cut corners on their cost. Take your own filter or tell them to install the correct filter or you'll find an oil change place that does.

If they can't read a dipstick, you shouldn't be there. I haven't let one person touch my cars' drain plugs in over thirty years.

IMO, you'll need to do one yourself to verify specified amount and level is correct or recalibrate your dip stick accordingly.
Have them show you they have not overfilled prior to accepting their work and paying them.

They probably crank it up, check for leaks/check tranny, shut down & immediately pull dipstick. Shows low. Add some more...

Or the bulk oil dispenser meter is inaccurate.

I look at it this way. If I overfill by a qt. thats money I'm losing...and don't always believe in the owners manual.

I verify EVERY time that oil level is in the operating range and yes I have drained some out because of an uncomfortable "full" level.

The other thing is..........if you are going to chain lube centers..........what are you getting for oil filter as in "quality?"

The explanation is that they don't give a damn and just want to get onto the next one.
No matter how big or small an oil filter is the dipstick has a full mark and they are just in too big of a hurry to match that.

Also in too big of a hurry to do it right in my opinion, and also why you hear stories of major oil leaks from having two gaskets on the oil filter. (to big of a hurry to check that also)

Not to mention what they forget to tighten (like drain plugs) or ding scratch or dent doing it.

The only thing I trust someone else to do is mount and balance tires, and that even barely.

You need to go buy a beat up 200K plus mile Geo.

The explanation is that they don't give a damn and just want to get onto the next one.
No matter how big or small an oil filter is the dipstick has a full mark and they are just in too big of a hurry to match that.

Also in too big of a hurry to do it right in my opinion, and also why you hear stories of major oil leaks from having two gaskets on the oil filter. (to big of a hurry to check that also)

Not to mention what they forget to tighten (like drain plugs) or ding scratch or dent doing it.

The only thing I trust someone else to do is mount and balance tires, and that even barely.

X2 I won two free oil changes to a quick lube place.
When it came my turn to do it, the bastards rounded the oil plug off and it was over tighten.
Had to buy a new plug after I filed two flat spot off the rounded nut to get it off.
Never again, free is just that.

X2 I won two free oil changes to a quick lube place.
When it came my turn to do it, the bastards rounded the oil plug off and it was over tighten.
Had to buy a new plug after I filed two flat spot off the rounded nut to get it off.
Never again, free is just that.

You are lucky they stripped the plug and not the threads in the pan.
I have seen that before and they didn't say anything, but when the guy went out in the morning to go to work there was a 5 quart puddle in his driveway and no oil in his engine.
He bought one of those self threading plugs and part way in it twisted the threaded part loose from the inside of the pan.

Ended up having to pull the motor and replace the pan to the tune of no car for a week and 600 R&R of the motor. (for a free oil change)

My wife, got something in the mail from a Kia dealership, that was offering FREE 5 point look overs to a $10 oil change with filter, she went and had it done to our Buick. Sent her home with a short list of things they seen, took the car to my Step-Sons garage, on the lift, I seen 3 S-L-O-W leaks, minor ones, nothing serious, but present, and a tie-rod end needing replaced, as well as the OIL FILTER that was put on BY ME, from Fram, some time ago...... WELL $10 oil change? I don't think so! NEVER again! The 5 point "look over" what a damn joke! I know theres no way in hell they could have missed the 3 small leaks, they were more apparent then the freakin UN TOUCHED oil filter! -Not serious but, enough (if that makes sense)

I told her, never again, don't go to crap like that when you see it, its not something to do as a "gift" or treat, they do it to get people in their shops/places to make $$$$$$ NOT "Maintain" the car or maintenance it, just try to get you as a "customer" is all that is!

Yep, Free look at the car, and a $10 oil change with filter....... Promises, promises! Got my wife all fired up "Hey, thats cheap, lets do it"....... Yeah, not gonna happen again she wasn't impressed!

My wife, got something in the mail from a Kia dealership, that was offering FREE 5 point look overs to a $10 oil change with filter, she went and had it done to our Buick. Sent her home with a short list of things they seen, took the car to my Step-Sons garage, on the lift, I seen 3 S-L-O-W leaks, minor ones, nothing serious, but present, and a tie-rod end needing replaced, as well as the OIL FILTER that was put on BY ME, from Fram, some time ago...... WELL $10 oil change? I don't think so! NEVER again! The 5 point "look over" what a damn joke! I know theres no way in hell they could have missed the 3 small leaks, they were more apparent then the freakin UN TOUCHED oil filter! -Not serious but, enough (if that makes sense)

I told her, never again, don't go to crap like that when you see it, its not something to do as a "gift" or treat, they do it to get people in their shops/places to make $$$$$$ NOT "Maintain" the car or maintenance it, just try to get you as a "customer" is all that is!

Yep, Free look at the car, and a $10 oil change with filter....... Promises, promises! Got my wife all fired up "Hey, thats cheap, lets do it"....... Yeah, not gonna happen again she wasn't impressed!

quicklube in Owasso ,ok stripped the pan threads on my 88 Silverado when my daughter had it. I got it back and found it the first oil change I did. she had them do all of the oil changes while she had it. they put apiece of crap expandable rubber plug in it, I tore it out and tapped it for pipe treads. was a little messy, as I kept oil in it to wash the cuttings out while tapping it. worked ok. they`ll never touch any of my cars, even if I didn`t do them myself !

I can offer an explanation; change the oil yourself. I shudder to think about anyone else doing my oil changes. It takes 10 minutes.

If you must have some one else do your job, tell them to read the sticker that says how much capacity your vehicle holds, and follow it.

Just damn,it's this simple.. I'm awful as a wrench anymore, but I know more than an uneducated 18year old...

quicklube in Owasso ,ok stripped the pan threads on my 88 Silverado when my daughter had it. I got it back and found it the first oil change I did. she had them do all of the oil changes while she had it. they put apiece of crap expandable rubber plug in it, I tore it out and tapped it for pipe treads. was a little messy, as I kept oil in it to wash the cuttings out while tapping it. worked ok. they`ll never touch any of my cars, even if I didn`t do them myself !

Worked at Stiffie Lube ..a week.. Still shaking my head,at overpriced labor & undereducated employees...

-
Back