Who knows security / surveillance / cctv cameras?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
As usual with me, "long story" In the last 10 years I've had on /off again security. At one point, it consisted of some junk video (VHS) cams, an old tape video recorder.

Couple of years ago I bought a couple of chineseoated DVR boxes. One is 4 cam, one is 8. They are junk but they work. You put a hard drive in, and they sit there. They use WHAT I CALL analoge, or composite video.......just like you used to feed into your VCR or TV from each other.

Again, a couple of the cams were chinese CCTV cams, for awhile they were "other" along with the ..........old VHS cam.

Then not long ago I ran into 8 cheap "Q-see" Chinese cams and some cable and they work, "for what they are"

HERE IT COMES...............

So......the other day I bought a pair of Samsung sdc-8440BCN cameras off th' bay.
Samsung SDC-8440BC 720p HD Weatherproof IR Camera

s-l225.jpg

Now these are NOT "IP" cameras....they use the same BNC and power connectors. as the Q-see ones. They won't work hooked to the TV, another TV, or the DVR. I don't know if they use a proprietary signal protocal, some sort of digitized signal, or what.

Anyone?

Does your viewing device support 720p HD?

I do a lot of CCTV work, but not normally mixing brands.
What I can tell you is some cameras use different resolutions, voltages and signal types.
I'm pretty familiar with Q-see stuff, but they sure don't give much in the way of tech specs on those cameras on voltages or anything.

Decent ip cameras are reasonable so I would say bite the bullet and step up to ip, the recorded video is so much better that it's worth it.

Does your viewing device support 720p HD?

I would think so. My "new" TV is HD, and has both HDMI and a combo composite / component video input. In other words it supports both the "single wire" composite video into one of the three component video jacks, which if you recall uses THREE RCA jacks

Now, the "photo" output of my Canon 7D is this same composite video, and IT is HD video, so "I guess?"

The older Q-see camera works into every video input I've connected it, including the new TV. The Samsung in question works into none of them.

I guess I need to go downstairs and dig out the Tektronix...............

attachment.php

These cameras record at 720p as the 1080p versions have not yet been released. Even at 720p, we’ve seen great improvement in resolution compared to the standard definition systems that we’ve had in the past. Of course, if you don’t need high def, the standard definition systems will still get the job done.

One big thing to note about these cameras is that they use a BNC type connection. Straying from the RJ-45 connections that were used in the hybrid system, these HD cameras are BNC type cameras; however, that doesn’t mean that your standard def SDS systems will be able to use them. These cameras are specific to this type of DVR so don’t bother trying. One of the big advantages of the AHD system is that they are backwards compatible; well, to a certain degree.

Because of how things are set up, the term backwards compatible may be a bit above what is actually expected. By that I mean that the old standard definition cameras won’t produce the same video as you would see on a standard def DVR. There is a slight drop in the quality of the video footage when you use your older cameras with the system. This includes color richness and clarity. The clarity drop is not noticeable enough to make you want to throw out your old cameras, but it is good to know that a slight drop in video quality is not the cause of a defective DVR.

Supported Models

SDH-C5100, SDH-B3040

Link to some more info.
Security Camera Information – Soltech Security

Last edited:
Odd FYI:

Speaking with my supervisor at my previous command he told me that if the pixel resolution was not high enough, the security footage was inadmissible in court against a burglar/vandal/perpetrator. I do not remember the nomenclature of clarity, but I wanna say he told me 720p was the minimum recording pixel clarity needed (obviously this depends on distance, his cameras were on his building, covering the IMMEDIATE perimeter.). Not sure if that helps, but good luck.

These cameras record at 720p as the 1080p versions have not yet been released. Even at 720p, we’ve seen great improvement in resolution compared to the standard definition systems that we’ve had in the past. Of course, if you don’t need high def, the standard definition systems will still get the job done.

One big thing to note about these cameras is that they use a BNC type connection. Straying from the RJ-45 connections that were used in the hybrid system, these HD cameras are BNC type cameras; however, that doesn’t mean that your standard def SDS systems will be able to use them. These cameras are specific to this type of DVR so don’t bother trying. One of the big advantages of the AHD system is that they are backwards compatible; well, to a certain degree.

Because of how things are set up, the term backwards compatible may be a bit above what is actually expected. By that I mean that the old standard definition cameras won’t produce the same video as you would see on a standard def DVR. There is a slight drop in the quality of the video footage when you use your older cameras with the system. This includes color richness and clarity. The clarity drop is not noticeable enough to make you want to throw out your old cameras, but it is good to know that a slight drop in video quality is not the cause of a defective DVR.

Supported Models

SDH-C5100, SDH-B3040

Link to some more info.
Security Camera Information – Soltech Security

Thanks that gives me a lead....

Thanks that gives me a lead....

Best of luck to get it done!

My guess is the approved DVR has a codec in it to decompress the video stream from the camera. I generally use nothing but IP based solutions at work and home. That way there is a viewer available that can decompress the video as needed for my application. Try searching for info on AHD.

I would think so. My "new" TV is HD, and has both HDMI and a combo composite / component video input. In other words it supports both the "single wire" composite video into one of the three component video jacks, which if you recall uses THREE RCA jacks

Now, the "photo" output of my Canon 7D is this same composite video, and IT is HD video, so "I guess?"

The older Q-see camera works into every video input I've connected it, including the new TV. The Samsung in question works into none of them.

I guess I need to go downstairs and dig out the Tektronix...............

attachment.php
Wow, you're better equipped than a lot of my customers' labs! :)

To make a long story short, a few brands have IP cameras that communicate on bnc/coax with their prioritary dvr/nvr. The main advantage is to save on wiring, and the same dvr can support old analog cameras as well as their new coax/ip cameras. Hikvision calls them TVI cameras. Capped to 2mpx, while real ip cameras are 3 or 4 mpx. (Analog cams are more like 0.7mpx). If on a budget, look for hikvision on aliexpress. 4mpx cams are about 80$ And the nvr start around 200.

I still have not gotten down to the basement. Today I ran into Spokamentro, and picked up some "stuff."

Could any of you tell me anything about these units. I have 5 of these

WP_20160528_19_52_20_Pro.jpg

Just for your information, those are analog cameras, 0.5 megapixels.
IP cameras are usually 3 or 4 megapixels.

I FINALLY found "part of" an answer to these......they are AHD cameras. At least one of the chineseoated DVRs I have "claims" HD, but it turns out that is a lie.....that refers to the OUTPUT monitor, which of course IS NOT GOING to be HD if whatever is "going in" is not!!!!

UPDATE. Got an ebay AHD (camera) to HDMI/ VGA/ video adapter/ converter for 65 bucks. "It works" The video out is probably no better than the other cameras, but at least this "saves" leaving these cameras in the corner, and if I update later to something that can directly handle this/ these cameras, I can use them.

adapter.jpg

-
Back