Who knows?

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
1- What is the original color for a '71 A833, it looks like the bellhousing is the standard engine color (in my case Blue), but the transmission itself appears to have been Black with a large yellow "X" paint marker.
Is black the correct color, and is it gloss, satin, or...?

It's my #'s matching, freshly rebuilt trans, need to give it the finishing touches.

2-Were is the best place to get pilot bushing, thow-out bearings and also looking for a trans. mount (poly).

The fork booth has been ordered, anything else you all might think I missed?

Thanx,
Giles

Tittle not catchy enough? bumping, I want to get this wrapped-up ASAP, missing out on alot of cruising time.
HELP!

The 71-340 4spd. trans may have the code 757 in yellow, light blue, or light green paint. A white cross may also be found on the housing, an inspectors mark. HTH

I definately have the remnants of a cross on it, can't really tell what color and I would say it was an inspection mark.
Keep them coming, I'm still looking at it as close as I can to replicate the original.

I went to my local Chrysler dealer and picked up needed parts,when I did the once over on my 4 speed.I only dealt with 1 guy,he was a muscle car guy and gave me parts at cost!Nice guy!

The bell should be cast aluminum. My old '69 Swinger had turquoise overspray around the bolt holes where they painted the motor with the bell attached. The trans should be cast iron. Linkage should all be natural.

The 71-340 4spd. trans may have the code 757 in yellow, light blue, or light green paint. A white cross may also be found on the housing, an inspectors mark. HTH

After close inspection, I found "751" stenciled in white, the large white "X" on top of housing.

White inspection marks in three different areas, one by the tailshaft mounting bolts, one by the shifter mounting plate...

Blue inspection mark by the top rear gear lever.

Light green inspection mark between the top and bottom lever.

Yellow under the front lever.

Orange under the machined pad for VIN.

This thing has a rainbow of colors.

I took pictures and measurements of hopefully everything.

Good info, Were did you get it from ?

Good info, Were did you get it from ?

One of the many books I have on the subject. I can really appreciate guys who go to the extreme at recreating cars as they left the factory, but I could never do it myself.

I always find some really helpful info here just by asking, guys like Longone and many other members, otherwise I find some here and there.

This site is great for resources and concourse judging ...
http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Inspection_Marks/Inspection_marks_1_23_2003-1.html.

That`s a great site. There`s a lot of info on the web if you do enough searches. Good luck with your build, show us some pics as you progress.

If you are lucky enough to have seen this stuff when it's all apart, say engines and transmissions in the back rooms of old yards, or stripping and scrapping cars on your own for years, you see different things.
If you're like me, you make a careful mental note of something that seems unusual and remember it when you see it again and again, then you realize something that seemed odd is the norm, you just might not have seen a paint mark before because time and harsh salt may have rusted it away, or someone re-painted it 2 years after the car was built.

Mind you, I haven't memorized paint daub colors on transmissions, but I do know that an orange splotch on an 8-3/4 chunk means it was originally built with a suregrip.
I do know that every manual trans built did have at least the last 2 or 3 digits of the part number stenciled in with varying colors of paint.

I have been around extremely low miles original manual trannies and those were sometimes semi-gloss (chassis) black.
They were also painted a brown color resembling primer, as were some '489 case center chunks.

Mark.

Good luck with your build, show us some pics as you progress.

I was planning to do so, and hopefully will be accompanied with it's first driveway burnout video. After a few break-in miles of course.

-
Back