Who likes strippers : ) ???

-
I have a story. When I was a teen I had a lawn service with my friend, we bought a 77 Dodge 1/2 ton to pull the trailer, nice truck but no AC. One of our clients was a used car lot and he had a customer that quit making payments because the tranny went out and he had no warranty, the custumer got so mad he took a pipe out of the ground with cement on the bottom and smashed all the windows but the front windshield, then smashed the hood in and poured sugar down the carb. So my client picked it up and left it sit on the back off the lot. My freind and I thought it would make a good parts truck, it was a 77 D200 3/4 ton with an auto 318. So we buy it for $400. While driving it home the tranny was slipping but it ran and drove so good by the time I got home I decided it was to good to part out. So I went to the junk yard and got a tranny and windows and put them in, found the sugar had turned to crystal in the top of the carb and was able to fish it out. So now I have this flat black 3/4 ton with a smashed hood, I drilled a hole so rain water would not pool, no tailgate, no ac or heat or defrost of any kind, not even a fan, the wipers did not work and I discovered how good RainEx works, the windows I put in did not go up and down because the regulars were shot, I would leave them down all summer even in the rain and put them up all winter with a wedge in the sill. Needless to say I don't even know if the locks worked. So you want stripper, THAT was a stripper. That this ran so good I drove it daily for four years and finally sold it for $550, what a deal. I remember being newly single, sitting at a RR track waiting for this long train with rain pouring in on me, thinking how am I gonna date girls in this? Finally made the desicion to sell.

In 93 I picked up a $200 76 D100 pick up. 318 auto power brakes and power steering. No headliner and just a rubber mat. Drove it for 2 years before taking my brother's 86 ram that was equipped the same way. Sold the 76 for $700. Neither were stripped all the way down, but no where optioned like my 05 is.

I forgot to mention, but I'm sure most of you already knew it, the gas gauge never worked, ever. LOL!!!

So, a few years ago I got on this retro, keep it simple, old school kick in response to the whole "electronics to do everything but wipe your ***" mentality of modern society.

The last step was to get an old school daily driver.

I don't like every new thing, but I have a (flip phone) personal cell and the first TV I bought was at my GFs request for her and the kids. My daily commuter car is 22 years old. My truck is a mix of different vehicles, but is registered as a '78, and the youngest chunks are 29 years old. I use things until they are actually worn out. So In many ways I agree with your lifestyle. I'm also considering replacing my daily driver with something older. I don't need AC, I like windows down. I don't need anything power but steering for parking in the city. We'll see how things unfold, but that's the idea anyway.

Had a 66 dodge coronet model 440 2 door hardtop. Inly options it had was AM radio, automatic trans, deluxe wheel covers, and carpet.

It was a slanty with manual steering and brakes, and no A/C. Very simple car i loved it.

Love baseline looking muscle cars,no extras added. Might do a 65-66 Dart,with a warmed over 5.2 Magnum,if I built another Mopar.(baseline post,stock looking with up to date drag racing mods.....

I've read about Challenger deputy, but never seen one in person...

I love "strippers". While my wife's '15 Mustang GT is about as stripped as you can get nowadays, my "preferred" stripper is an A100 pick-up I'm trying to get out of "body shop prison". Can't get much more basic than them.
I don't understand why one can't get a "stripper" nowadays as t seems with computer aided assembly lines it'd be even easier to do------just press "delete" in regards to certain pieces.

Second stripper i owned was a 69 dart western sport special. Slanty six car. Only options were WSS package which included deluxe wheel covers, vinyl top, carpeting, AM radio, and sport steering wheel. It was power steering, manual drum brakes, No A/C fairly stripped i think.

The one i saw in a local boneyard back in the 80s i would have wanted was the best though. It was a red 68 dodge coronet base model pillared coupe. Slant 6, black interior bench seat 3 on the tree with vinyl floor. Sucker had 14" body colored steelies with dog dish caps. Perfect car to make into a super bee clone.

Problem was back then it was too rotted to save. I got the clutch n brake pedals out of it for my 69 charger 4 speed project i was doing at the time.

I love the plain jane stripper vehicles.
The closest i came to one that i owned and drove for a couple of years was a '72 Duster with only one option on it. And that was a floor shift 3 speed standard. Every thing else was base. Std. steering and brakes, 198 slant 6, rubber mat on the floor, base interior, radio delete, pie plate hub caps, foot pump windshield washers, std. non remote mirror, medium green paint top to bottom, in and out.
I loved that car, and it sure got me around!
The second car is one that i own now which is a '69 Valiant 100 2 door post with 2 options on it. Automatic trans and a remote driver's mirror, that's it!
It was a 170 slant 6, 13'' wheels, radio delete, standard everything else in light green metallic and a brown/gold interior with rubber flooring.
It now has a 318 auto with 8 1/4 bbp rear and '73 and up bbp std. brakes with 14'' wheels.

only stripper I can ever afford.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 156
Mine came from the factory with heater delete,
318, PS, auto, black vinyl top, Am radio.

Is now 360, bucket seats, maybe a console, floor shift,
wipers, AM radio and some HP mods to the entire car.
Its been a long drawn out affair do to life, but hopefully streetable this year.

Attachments

• change8.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 144
I don't think a car could come from the factory any more stripped than my first car
1957 Chevy 150 business coupe.
No rear seat. Just a flat board. Back windows didn't roll down. No radio. No heater. 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree
Would probably still have it if it wasn't my first car.

Awesome replies!!!

And yeah, I was expecting a "Girls, Girls, Girls" stripper reply MUCH sooner. Never saw the stripper clip or wire strippers comment coming though! O:)

Glad to see there are other like minded folks.O:) My first car was a 71 Duster. /6 auto with PS and nothing else. Rubber floor mat and foot pump windshield washer etc. Id probably still have it but it was rotted to the gills and the car was only 13 years old at the time!!

I see those car and smart phone commercials I think, damn that's some amazing stuff, but it just doesn't turn me on.

My buddy works in a car dealership (I used to work with him 15 yrs ago). He says the tools he uses most these days is a flash drive!!!

Yikes!!

I love a car that has a singular focus, specifically the focus of getting from point "A" to point "B" while maximizing the enjoyment of driving while doing it.

I'm not sure if my Duster fits the criteria of "stripper", though. Technically, the 360 was an upscale model, and the 4 speed was an upgrade from the 3 speed, so it is neither the base model, nor option free. But beyond that, it has manual brakes, manual steering, a manual trans, manual windows and door locks, AM radio and no A/C.

As to "putting clothes on it", I'm not sure. There are days it is hot enough that I wish I had AC. And it would be nice to roll the windows down without having to lean across the car or get out and walk around to the passenger door. Power door locks would be nice for a similar reason. And if I ever get it on a road course, I could see power steering making the time last longer since I wouldn't tire as fast. At the same time, I love the car for the manual trans and would probably only go to more gears, but not an auto. Will most likely go EFI at some point, no question there.

Only other thing I can think of that I kind of want is an MP3 hookup. Don't plan to cut the dash, and I don't see the need for a big screen like in the new cars, but tunes are nice (I differentiate this from a "thumping stereo") and I'd like to be able to listen regardless of where in the country I am at.

I guess, for me, if it increases the amount of time I can enjoy the car, I don't see a problem with some "options". Currently, I wouldn't drive my Duster across the bottom of California to Yuma, AZ in August when it is 109 degrees without AC, but by adding it I can enjoy the Duster on a trip like that rather than renting a soulless Kia like I did last time.

How about a 1966 Dart 2 door sedan, /6, 3 speed, rubber floor mat, heater and radio delete.

My first car was a "stripper" too... but I think all '51 Studebaker pickups were.
That's all my dad would ever buy, at least while I was a kid. The list is very short as he was a mechanic in a Chrysler Plymouth dealership,during all of my growing up years.
A '47 Plymouth coupe, '51 Plymouth suburban, '61 plymouth Savoy /6 three speed (the first transmission I ever blew up). and that's it. I graduated from high school in 1969 and he got Mom a '64 Chrysler 300. I guess I was holding him back.
Good times Great memories.

-
Back