Who takes their abody on road trips?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I have been watching roadkill a lot and it's making me want to take my little dart on a big road trip. I'm just curious what everyone's farthest drive was in one of their old darts?

Not a Dart but drove my 74 /6 Duster from Colorado to Fort Campbell Ky. Not the smartest thing I ever did because it had been setting for 3 years while I was in Germany before trip. Changed fluids hopped in and took off. Made it no issues. What they were made to do drive!!!

I drove my 69 GT as a daily driver all over the country, No issues.

We have a big loop around cincinnati that is around 90 miles. Im going to throw the street tires on and make a lap to make sure everything is ok at freeway speeds. The goal is to drive it from the mopar nationals down to Virginia. If I get the car together in time I might make a short run down to bowling green for the hot rod reunion.

If she likes the long drives then I'm going to get the wheels turning for a Cincinnati to LA trip. That's still a pipe dream though.

Drove my dart about 200 miles this weekend. That's the farthest so far.

I'd like to take it to the MATS next year.

And I've been thinking I'd like to do a road trip from Lyons Co, to Mt. Rushmore in S. Dakota. Don't know if i'll get the wife to do that one. But would be a nice test to do that before the Vegas trip.

I drove my 66 Plymouth (Victoria) for 7 years as a daily driver and going crazy now :banghead:

West plains Mo. and back would be my long haul 275 miles I believe and many trips to the wobbly pop store :D

Attachments

• Red Wolves Pond Day 006.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 330
  • Victoria 7.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Slant 6 build.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 337
Many, many, Power Tours in a 67 Dart and a 71 Duster.Wife and I did a coast to coast,California to North Carolina and back again in this 67 Dart.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 361
125 miles is about the furthest I go but I do that quite often.

My wife and I have put around 4,000 miles on my 73 318 Dart in the last two months, and that's not counting the running around once there.
We took it to CA from AZ 3 times now, and getting ready to do it again.
About 700 miles one way at 75-80 average, and the one and only thing I had to do was tighten an upper hose clamp because it never got retightened after it was put on new.
Got right at 17mpg with headers, aluminum intake and a eddie 600 CFM.

The wife drove part of the way, and once when I woke from a short nap she was doing 100 through the Tehachapi hills passing everything in sight.
I asked her if we were late or something and she said the car wanted to do it, so she let it. :D

Not a Dart, but drove my last 65 Barracuda from Alaska to South Carolina. Over 4,500 miles as we chose to come through the UP of Michigan on our way.

My best friend drove a 68 Coronet station wagon for the same trip. People thought we were crazy.

I have driven mine to the Mopar Nationals in Columbus 3 times now (roughly 368 mile round trip... plus the cruising while im there).. Love road trips in the Dart

Not a Dart but I bought my Duster last year in Kansas City picked it up checked it over and spent the next 3 days on the road back to Hartford CT 80 miles on the last day and 7 1/2 tanks of fuel later was home.next big one is around 1 1000th less although most will done in a container lol.

My first purchase ever using Ebay is my 68 Barracuda. Attended Spring Fling, picked it up in San Jose, then drove it home from CA to OH. Worked on fixing things at Max's house starting Monday and left Thursday afternoon about 3:30-4:00 PM. Got home Monday night about 11 PM and went to work the next day.
Had cooling problems east of Sacramento. Changed T-stat and fixed small hole in rad tank using JB weld. Got pulled over by CA cop while looking for a parts store. Fixed in their parking lot in the rain. Spent the night in a motel.
Had dead battery in Nevada in a rest stop in the middle of no where. No running water, just a hole in the ground. Got a jump, drove to the next town and bought a regulator. (they had one in stock!) Got pulled over by a cop in NV.
Drove through mountains in NV into UT during a rain/sleet storm on worn-out 255-60x15 tires on back. One mountain pass was so pock-marked from snow chain use that it disintegrated the left side strut rod bushing. The banging noise was terrible but once I found out what it was, I just pressed on into Colorado until I was too tired and cold to drive anymore. This was about 1AM Easter morning and I slept in the back of the cuda at a rest stop. Got pulled over by a cop in Colorado Easter morning in the flat lands in the eastern part of the state.
Met some weird-o at a gas station outside St. Louis. Spent the night again in the Cuda Motel at a rest stop.
Almost called it quits near Indianapolis while crawling along a massive Interstate repaving project. After that it was only another 5-6 hours and I pushed on until I got home.
Car had no heat, no radio, no dash lights, and the top speed was limited by vibration to 62 MPH. My cell was an analog with no way to charge it on the road. It was something like 2600-2800 miles one way.
It was awesome!

Going to be re-locating to Mesa, AZ (retiring). I plan on doing a trip the Amarillo area next year with my newly restored 68 GTS. That's where it was sold and street driven. Plan on doing a Power Tour down the road and a road trip to Carlile. i'd like to find a C body wagon and ge it road worthy. Thought about getting together with some other and do that long road trip ala Wild hogs

I really need a little less gear for long stretches. I am about 2500 at 62 mph.

My first purchase ever using Ebay is my 68 Barracuda. Attended Spring Fling, picked it up in San Jose, then drove it home from CA to OH. Worked on fixing things at Max's house starting Monday and left Thursday afternoon about 3:30-4:00 PM. Got home Monday night about 11 PM and went to work the next day.
Had cooling problems east of Sacramento. Changed T-stat and fixed small hole in rad tank using JB weld. Got pulled over by CA cop while looking for a parts store. Fixed in their parking lot in the rain. Spent the night in a motel.
Had dead battery in Nevada in a rest stop in the middle of no where. No running water, just a hole in the ground. Got a jump, drove to the next town and bought a regulator. (they had one in stock!) Got pulled over by a cop in NV.
Drove through mountains in NV into UT during a rain/sleet storm on worn-out 255-60x15 tires on back. One mountain pass was so pock-marked from snow chain use that it disintegrated the left side strut rod bushing. The banging noise was terrible but once I found out what it was, I just pressed on into Colorado until I was too tired and cold to drive anymore. This was about 1AM Easter morning and I slept in the back of the cuda at a rest stop. Got pulled over by a cop in Colorado Easter morning in the flat lands in the eastern part of the state.
Met some weird-o at a gas station outside St. Louis. Spent the night again in the Cuda Motel at a rest stop.
Almost called it quits near Indianapolis while crawling along a massive Interstate repaving project. After that it was only another 5-6 hours and I pushed on until I got home.
Car had no heat, no radio, no dash lights, and the top speed was limited by vibration to 62 MPH. My cell was an analog with no way to charge it on the road. It was something like 2600-2800 miles one way.
It was awesome!

now THAT sir, is a road trip!! lol.. how much were the fines for getting pulled over 3 or 4 times? lol... Sounds like you had a blast for sure

I really need a little less gear for long stretches. I am about 2500 at 62 mph.

That's not too bad.
Im at about 2800 at 80mph and it's fine with it, but I guess it depends on engine mods also.
At the same RPM's you should be around 70-75 or so I would think.

That's not too bad.
Im at about 2800 at 80mph and it's fine with it, but I guess it depends on engine mods also.

I was going to say mine is about 2700-2800 at 70-75 mph... didnt seem to bother it any

I guess the longest trip I made was just shy of 200 miles
was also the first trip I made in the duster (bought it and drove her home, about a 3 hour stretch)

I intend to put a lot more long trips on here once I get the 360 up and running

In the mid/late 90's I drove it back an forth from LA to Iowa for collage. now about the longest I go is 85 miles to the Willow Spring road course and back.

5600 lbs total of overloaded stuff brought back home. This is JUST the stuff unloaded out of the U-Haul car top carrier...

7015709-CopyofCudaLastTripUnpackingAllLarge.jpg

back in mid 90's, I flew out to Oakland, bought a 67 h code 383 cuda. the guy had rebuilt the whole car and he put like 10,000 mi on it, he was an engineer for an oil co and built and roadraced another 2 nd gen cuda. drove it home to n w Missouri, 0 issues, but the car was totally restored!!!

I have put plenty of mi on "used" ones. anything can go wrong with say, 40-50 year old parts!!!!! my guess it most of the problems that arise with out old mopars comes from them sitting to long, NOT being on the road.

ya just got to have a sense of adventure and be fearless!!???? LOL

-
Back