Who's cut their hood?

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Whos cut there hood for scoop or tall intakes? Have you done any bracing to the hood underneath? Did you weld the hood to the bracing to minimize flex?

Josh,I marked mine then used tape for the pattern.I drilled a couple big holes..big enough to fit the sawzall blade in.Started cutting,then used visegrips to hold cut braces to sheetmetal til tac welded.Good Luck.:D

I kept mine super simple and cut only the section between the braces. Allows air flow into engine bay and reduces lift when driving. I would not dare say fully functional.

Yup past the cutting part. It fits good. But i noticed some flex and one side seems to kinda ripple I assume because the bracing and metal separated. Just curious as to how other guys have fixed this.

Attachments

• hoodd.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 269
We had to cut a hole in the hood of our '68 Charger for blower clearance. Rather than leave it with an unfinished edge, we purchased 3/8" brake line which we formed around the opening and welded in place. It strengthened the hood and is intended to prevent water (rain, etc...) tending to run into the hole. Our opening was large enough that it did weaken the structural integrity of the hood so we also made filler pieces for between the inner and outer sheet metal. The second pic is of the uncut hood. Pic #3 shows the blower mocked up in the engine bay. #4 is my son drilling holes in the 4 corners that we had initially marked for clearance with the hood shut. (Of course we had to enlarge the opening later to compensate for the hood's longitudinal movement as it opens) Pic #5 shows the hood after the initial hole. In pic #6 you can see the larger hole that was needed to clear linkage, carbs, and hood movement. You can also see the gaps between the outer shell and the inner structure. #1 is of the hood after adding the brake line ridge and filler pieces.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 101_1663.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 101_1664.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 101_1667.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 101_1670.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 101_1677.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 218
I cut the triangle out that is in the middle between the braces on the hood of my 1974 Swinger while I have not ever had a problem with overheating, I cant say that getting water in the engine bay is good.

Mine has the triangle cut out with a hemi scoop but I doubt a tunnel ram will fit in that space.

vbpgimage.php

I used a hole saw to get the corners rounded...

I tacked the back where i cut into the bottom support.
It's got a bit of wobble on the long side of the cuts but has not been an issue for years now...

_DSC3627.jpg

-
Back