Who's into pure stock drags ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
I was big into the FAST series cars when they first came out 8 or so years ago. Lately Ive been checking the Pure Stock class out. Some of these guys are in the 11s with well prepped "stock" cars. The rules state the only real upgrades you can make are an extra point of compression and up to a 2.5" exhaust with and H or X.

Looks like the fastest 340 A body is Tom Cannons 70 Duster 340 which runs 13.20s

Adam,

Pure stock is a "really" tough class to compete in. In IHRA, they go over the car with a real fine toothed comb and only a few make the grade. As of now, we run the crate motor class in stock eliminator and my car will be strictly a bracket car.

I do like the pure stock program.More like back in the day.Like everything else money wrecked F.A.S.T.,JMHO Kevin.

I tried to race in that class....they didn't think my exhaust tips were "stock enough"....among a few "other" things

Ive done the pure stock drags twice. It has been a few years since I have raced but it is alot of fun. I hope to go this year with my friend that has a 71 GTO. I hope to race my 71 Duster 340 in it when I have finished the resto. That will take another 2 years the way I am going. See Ya!

I like the idea, but I gues the question is "what constitues stock"?

Can I put on any available option for the year and body style of my car?

IE, if my car came with a 2.94 open rear, can I put in a 3.91 SG?
Can I run a 4 bbl on a 2 bbl car?

Etc?

Adam,

Pure stock is a "really" tough class to compete in. In IHRA, they go over the car with a real fine toothed comb and only a few make the grade. As of now, we run the crate motor class in stock eliminator and my car will be strictly a bracket car.

I like the idea, but I gues the question is "what constitues stock"?

Can I put on any available option for the year and body style of my car?

IE, if my car came with a 2.94 open rear, can I put in a 3.91 SG?
Can I run a 4 bbl on a 2 bbl car?

Etc?

You have to use the correct parts for the claimed model and horse power rating so if you were to clone a 72 Demon 340 you would need a 340 block, the correct casting heads, intake, manifolds, carb, trans, and rear. You cant use a 318 or 360 block and call it a 340.

You can replace the 2.25" exhaust with a 2.5" you can raise the compression up 1.5 points, so a 8.5:1 motor can run 10:1 but there are rules that keep compression in check so you have to really read them.

I have been running these races the last several years. A lot of fun! The rules have been changing the last few years for what they consider stock. The Hemming F.A.S.T. (pure stocks also)race is this weekend at Lebanon valley. Any one close by should make the trip. Worth seeing for sure plus if your into just a car show they have that too.

Well all you have to do is get either a 68 Dart or 68 Barracuda and drop a Hemi in it, problem solved. Itd be pretty hard to beat one of those. Plus if they gave you any crap about it, the factory made and sold 68 Hemi Darts/Barracuda.

68 Hemi A bodies are not legal for the class. Their reason is because they had no warranty so they were not street cars.

Well all you have to do is get either a 68 Dart or 68 Barracuda and drop a Hemi in it, problem solved. Itd be pretty hard to beat one of those. Plus if they gave you any crap about it, the factory made and sold 68 Hemi Darts/Barracuda.

Not to the public and not as a street legal stock model , they were Super Stock race only program cars , they did however make 440 M code cars in 1969 which with a point and a half of compression and some flow help would be pretty close to the same thing

ps guess we were all typing at the same time lol

Dont forget also, Your launching on stock tires with stock suspension.

Dont forget also, Your launching on stock tires with stock suspension.

Is a snubber considered a stock part ? can you tweak your springs , this is all starting to sound like a lot more fun than I initially thought , do they handicap based on weight and engine size ?

PS great thread Adam this might actually keep me from trolling the politics forum for a while .

I have a friend who runs in FAST from up your way Adam. Green Lemans convert. He has had good success for a Pontiac.

This sounds like a great evolution project for my 69 fastback for after I find a notch for the 410 and i redo the #s 318 ,I was going to stroke it but a stock class car that gets to run against other true stock cars could be cool too

Ray is he in Newtown ? I know theres a guy in Newton with 2 Pontiacs that races in Fast. Thats 1 town over from me.

Not sure if the adjustable snubber is allowed. Im sure you can get away with a non-adjustable drag shock and some super stock springs but the ride height needs to be stock.

I LOVE the FAST and pure stock classes. If I had the right body style I would build one. FAST does eat up money but it's so cool to watch a stock looking car run 10s or even 9s now. All on bias ply tires. When your lifting the front tires with rear bias you're doing something right. And some of the times in pure stock are very impressive. I have my niece's birthday party on Sunday so I'll miss the action at Lebanon. :(

Ray is he in Newtown ? I know theres a guy in Newton with 2 Pontiacs that races in Fast. Thats 1 town over from me.

Not sure if the adjustable snubber is allowed. Im sure you can get away with a non-adjustable drag shock and some super stock springs but the ride height needs to be stock.

That's him his name is Jeremy. Big drink of water and a hell of a good guy.
For a Pontiac guy at least.LOL

F.A.S.T Small Block record holder..... 11.27 @ 120 ... 1.68 60ft.

Attachments

• F.a.s.t Duster.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 328
-
Back