Who's the 1966 Barracuda Expert?

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I've had my '66 for a loooong time & thought I knew everything about them. :)
A couple of weeks ago I had another one follow me home. It's almost completely disassembled. As I've tried to sort out parts & see what's all there...and what may be missing, I had a friend (Thanks, Roger!) translate the Broadcast sheet. It turns out to be a rare(?) factory-installed vinyl top & A/C (although all of the ac unit is gone). I've only seen one of these before at the MOPAR Nationals 20+ years ago. The top on mine has long ago rotted off, but all of the trim is in good shape. Anybody out there have one of these vinyl top '66's? How many were made? Color combinations ever seen? Mine is Black vinyl over yellow with a black interior. I'm planning on restoring it. The more I know about what I'm getting myself into, the better. Or maybe I don't WANT to know. :)

left side.JPG

right side.JPG

Fender tag from my old '66. This is what the car looked like before it went into the paint shop to become black and not have the vinyl put back on, but I kept the trim in the car. And, after going black, but before we put the black interior in.
Fender tag.jpg
img319.jpg
Donna Lil Cuda Sac 1983 01.jpg

The most common combination of vinyl top 66’s I’ve seen is yellow with a black top. The top itself doesn’t add much to the value of the car, nor does the AC setup, although that is nice to have. Build it because you love it, not for perceived value, and you’ll never lose.

If it were a Formula s model with those options it would fetch much more, so take a look thru the fender tag and see if it’s a S car.

Nice car. Like Cosgig said, build it to enjoy. There are no production figures for these cars other than engine/transmission combos. No other option or paint breakdown's are available so it would be impossible to put a 1 of ? tag on these cars.

Fender tag from my old '66. This is what the car looked like before it went into the paint shop to become black and not have the vinyl put back on, but I kept the trim in the car. And, after going black, but before we put the black interior in.View attachment 1715261218 View attachment 1715261219 View attachment 1715261220

That is a great picture.
Candid shots are the best.
No posing.
And the crowds.
Life in action.
Circa 1980s maybe?
Would be fascinated to hear about it.

The most common combination of vinyl top 66’s I’ve seen is yellow with a black top. The top itself doesn’t add much to the value of the car, nor does the AC setup, although that is nice to have. Build it because you love it, not for perceived value, and you’ll never lose.

If it were a Formula s model with those options it would fetch much more, so take a look thru the fender tag and see if it’s a S car.
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't
That is a great picture.
No posing.
And the crowds.
Life in action.
Circa 1980s maybe?
Not a Formula S for sure. It doesn't have a fender tag (not sure why), but it DID have the build sheet under the back seat (I took it out carefully) & the VIN plate in the door jam. A MOPAR acquaintance of mine said a few came from the factory & others were dealer installed options. My build sheet is stamped '6' under section 30 "conv vinyl top". I think that is short for '306' which indicates black vinyl & confirms it came that way from the factory. I didn't really expect it to be valuable, but I kinda like having an oddball Barracuda. They're odd enough even without the vinyl top. :) Thanks for all your info. The attached picture isn't mine - but I thought you'd get a kick out of it.

1966 Barracuda vinyl top - even closer.jpg

That is a great picture.
No posing.
And the crowds.
Life in action.
Circa 1980s maybe?

The car show pic is my wife in 1983 at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals West at Cal Expo in Sacramento. The torn up seat in the convertible I was shooting over is our '68 GTS about four months after we bought it...I sold the Barracuda in late 1985. Lee (LilCuda on this site) bought it from the guy I sold it to two years later.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't

Not a Formula S for sure. It doesn't have a fender tag (not sure why), but it DID have the build sheet under the back seat (I took it out carefully) & the VIN plate in the door jam. A MOPAR acquaintance of mine said a few came from the factory & others were dealer installed options. My build sheet is stamped '6' under section 30 "conv vinyl top". I think that is short for '306' which indicates black vinyl & confirms it came that way from the factory. I didn't really expect it to be valuable, but I kinda like having an oddball Barracuda. They're odd enough even without the vinyl top. :) Thanks for all your info. The attached picture isn't mine - but I thought you'd get a kick out of it.

View attachment 1715261518

Oh, it’s still a cool car no matter what. And that’s the nice thing about early A’s they’re easy and affordable to build, and the values have really risen in the past couple years. Seems the secret is out, they’re really cool cars!!

-
Back