Why a 318 in a back-halved car?

-
Throw in the 318 to get it powered. You can have fun with it while you look for or build a bigger mill. I have a friend that bought a wrecked pro street AMX. The hot 401 was damaged in the accident but a good running 290 fit right in. Not a tire smoker but he had lots of fun cruising. Here's a shot from the Nats a few years back.

Attachments

• 100_4538.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 161
The last thing I'd do is wait for a bigger better engine.
The first thing I'd do is make it street & strip ready. AKA Legal for both.
Then I would certainly get in it and get it going no matter the power plant.

Go for it. but if you are planing on racing it you need to think about what class you are going to run. (down the road) some classes are limited to tire size. ladder bar only with coil over's. drag radial's. No four link's. some are not NHRA but do have the NHRA safety rules. If your going to bracket race only you will probably be good with any set up with NHRA rules. If you run in head's up that is where trouble start's in a unplanned build. wheelbase can play a big factor also in a class. I built mine to fit a 33x22x16 tire but I run on the street with a 31x16.5x16 DOT tire's and race with a 10.5 sometimes. Lot's of room for advances in other classes. Do your homework. Just do what makes you feel good and have a great time with it. As with you'r 318 don't worry about it just start saving up after you tubb it and when the time comes when you can fit the 318 loosely in two five gallon bucket's you can put you'r next hi Hp engine in. Like most of us here ya got to do it in stages.

Rock the 318 for sure.

I've got 2 kiddos under 2 at home and decided last yr before my 2nd was born to get the car runnin with stuff I had instead of all the stuff on my dream list... Will you have stuff to go back to YUP. But I put 600 miles on mine this fall, and Loved every minute...

I agree with wha rumble said,

9.0 or more compression, a bit of head work, tht edelbrock intake, a 600-650 cfm carb and for cam I like the comp cams extreme energy 268. Headers and dual 2.5 pipes. 2600-3000 stall (don't skimp on a converter) should be good with your gears and set up.

Joe

Funny... Everyone is so amazed by my work on the '68 Dart redoing the whole suspension with a TVS, installing large 4-wheel disc brakes, building up and installing an 8 3/4, etc. Then they ask me, "What engine do you have under the hood? A 340, right?" And I just look at them and say, "Actually it's a 273 that's a bit tired." You'd be surprised at how many people don't know what a 273 is.

I would sling a stone stock 2 barrel 318 in it so quick it would make your head spin. The rest of the car is not only the most important part, but it's the part that takes longest to do. Heck, I can assemble an engine.......and correctly with all clearances measured in a couple of hours. But chassis stuff, interior, body.....that's where the real work and time are spent. Get it running. That way, you'll have something that runs, you can drive and have fun with now and have a sense of accomplishment about, instead of a big pile of nothing to get depressed about.

Holy cow, what's up with the rear?

There was no rear in it when I bought it. Since the back half was already started and the previous owner was keeping the ladder bars, coil overs and rear end for another car we rolled a 7 inch under it and "bolted, welded, rigged, whatever it took to secure it" into place just to get it rolling so I could get it home. :finga:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 121
The past two months I have been collecting parts. With help from members on FABO, crawling the Pick n Pulls, lurking on eBay and hitting up friends around NorCal, I've picked up bumpers, a grill, bezels, all parts for doing a BBP Disc brake swap, the rear end, tail lights, all harnesses, all trim, a new passenger door, most interior items I needed (still need seats). Total investment is under $2000 so far.

She's a clean slate for me right now... I have a vision, just need patience and time. My goal is to get her drive able by end of next summer.

There was no rear in it when I bought it. Since the back half was already started and the previous owner was keeping the ladder bars, coil overs and rear end for another car we rolled a 7 inch under it and "bolted, welded, rigged, whatever it took to secure it" into place just to get it rolling so I could get it home.

Lol, she just looks a tad high.

Looks like a nice solid start, throw that teen in there and drive.

xe268 cam, a good dual plane intake, a 600-650 cfm 4 barrel and some headers, get the timing curve right, that will keep a smile on your face until you can build something different.,

-
Back