Why am I so slow

-
More stall first. The carb is fine IMO. I just wouldn't stomp it into action to early. Whats with your suspension? Stock, HD/OE?
The 292/.509 is good for low 12's in a well set up chassis in an A body with your parts at best. There was a fella running your near exact combo for a 12.2 1/4 mile in a Dart. But I do not remember all the details of his ride.

with the 508/292 you need atleast a 3000 stahl in that bad boy. my small blocks usually like around 35*total timing. i'm running a 360 with eddy heads , performer rpm with a proform 750 dp and whatever 508/292 cam that comes with the mp short block, with a 9.5 inch convertor and 3:91 gears and it goes a best of a 12.27 @ 108 mph in the quarter.. according to my slip it went 7.7 in the 1/8 mile@ 87 mph. i think you may be spinning more then you think...

Thanks for all your help, I did get rid of the off line stumble with more tuning. I was running way rich at idle.I do need a higher stall and will be fixing that issue. I did find where my 60' time was going. I took that car out and did some on the street tuning. got on it and left about 70' of rubber on the ground. didnt believe it so I had my brother get out of the car while I did it again to confirm. Yes i was spinning that bad, but there was no sign of it. no sound from the tires, the cars rear wouldn't slide out from under, nothin. It only have stock suspension but wieght tranfer seems good, and it launches straight as can be. Just when I get on it and the car sound stong,but seemed slow i was spinning the crap out of my tires,and not knowing. Lookin into a pair slick, then will return to the track for better time slip.

thats good to hear....

i run a set of hoosie quick tim pros on my dart and they work very well. they are 26 X 9.5-14 my car runs mid to high 60 foots and will get a couple inches under the drivers side tire...

abodyjoe said:
I'm running a 360 with eddy heads , performer rpm with a proform 750 dp and whatever 508/292 cam that comes with the mp short block, with a 9.5 inch convertor and 3:91 gears and it goes a best of a 12.27 @ 108 mph in the quarter.. ...

There ya go. Like I said. Well done. A well set up street car and he's off and running well. I remember the guy I spoke about earlier had cal-tracs I think. Anyways. Your making good times with the combo.
What do you have for springs? T-bars? Headers? Exhaust pipe size?

rumblefish360 said:
There ya go. Like I said. Well done. A well set up street car and he's off and running well. I remember the guy I spoke about earlier had cal-tracs I think. Anyways. Your making good times with the combo.
What do you have for springs? T-bars? Headers? Exhaust pipe size?

i was running a 318 set of bars and old shocks up front, stock 100,000 mile slant 6 springs and air shocks out back, tti headders and 3" exhaust with X pipe and dynomax super turbos....

The carb is fine for the motor. 340s like big carbs. Mine has a 830cfm Proform on it wich is the same thing Joe has on his 360 in his Dart.

You need more converter. that cam is 248* @.050" You need 3000rpm stall if not more.

I also doudt your compression is over 12:1. You'd need a pretty big dome or real small chambers to get that short stroke to make that much compression. A big dome wont ft under the edelbrock heads with out a lot or machine work. Your probably closer to 10.5:1

Whats your timing set up at ? I would start at 16*-18* intial and 34* to 36* total all in by 2500rpms.

Yeah I was going to say that carb is just fine but with that cam more stall speed is needed. But that's not the only factor of a good converter. The cheap high stall units are just not going to give you the performance of a quality converter. When I switched from a Hughes 4400 to a Turbo Action 4600 my car picked up 7 tenths. 7 tenths in the quarter is huge for a simple converter change. The moral of this story is don't skimp on the converter. It is very important.

BTW if it's the Dart in your avatar it looks pretty cool, got any better pictures?

My 8" 4200rpm T/A is more streetable then the old cheap 10" 2800rpm converter I had.

I love mine. Its 20 years old though so its time for an upgrade and freshning.

Your carb is fine.Your combo is very good.Your stall needs to be at least 3500.A stock 340 had a 2500 stall.With eddy heads and that cam your car should be well into the 12's.Consider S/S springs or a cal trac setup to really plant the tires.

Ewww, 2000 stall with mech. secondaries!!?? bring the stall up like everyone said It help immensly!!

Had a friend running a '69 dart 340 with some mods to it and he was running 14.1 or so. Til he put a 3000 stall in it and it knocked him down to 12.8 or so. I can't recall the specifics but when he had the stock converter he was slower than my 318. That is why he came to me and we put a stall converter in for him.

Do you have an update for us readers - and did you get to try a BG650dp on it? INQUIRING MIND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW :)

-
Back