Why can't they build anything that lasts?

-

64 AAR Valiant

ODD DUCK
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My wife came home from work a short time ago complaining. My car is running rough and some nasty smelling white smoke is coming out the exhaust.
Head gasket my guess. Gee it's a 94 Lebaron convert. With only Two hundred and sixty some thousand miles. Seems like nothing holds up anymore.

I know exactly what you mean... My previous truck was a 1987 Dodge D50 with 270,000 Miles on the original 2.6L.

I mean, they just don't build em like they used to. I Only dumped the clutch all the time, drove around in 4WD on dry pavement (and wet pavement), hauled stuff that was well over the weight class of the truck, plowed snow with it and beat the ever loving crap out of it :finga:

I was expecting 400,000 miles out of it, who doesn't expect that kind of lifespan out of their vehicle? :D

In the defense of older vehicles (even older than that crapbox I drove for years...sure do love those d50's)

I had a customer bring in a 1970's Dodge Van once, 318/727 with over 300,000 miles on it. It had never been tuned up or had the oil changed during its entire life :wack: (the owner was proud to brag about the fact that it had never received any tune ups or oil changes) The engine was so whipped that it was pumping oil up through the intake into the carb, only 3 of the spark plugs were capable of being removed from the heads. He continued to run that van for another year before finally sending it to the junkyard.

He drove it to the scrapyard, the 318 was still running at that time, but it smoked like a burning tire and used more oil than it did gas.

Got over 300K out of an '89 Caravan, just didn't want to replace the headgasket (turbo 2.5) after it overheated from the coolant line to the turbo popped. Fun rig...

After helping a buddy make his older car better, faster, and stronger, we took it at a local car show,...lots of kudos,...even an older guy who stated... "Man, they sure don't build em like that anymore",...

To which my buddy replied,..."Yeah, Thank God"...

I've got over 436k kilometers (273k miles) on my '95 Mazda B2300/Ford Ranger. That little 2.3L is still going strong, no smoke no oil consumption to speak of. I've put over 16k km's (10k miles) on it since the end of September. Not bad for a $1000 truck.

Knock on wood.

yep, when I traded off my '66 Mustang back in the late '90s, it only had about half a million miles on it and it was already starting to get tired.

Good way to shorten the lifespan of a Chrysler product: Insert the word "Diamler" in front.

If this is a 4 cyl. with a turbo and emiting a massive white cloud, the turbo is the culprit.

My daughter is still driving my old 92 daytona, 3.0 v6 387,000 miles org,motor never rebuild, Still going strong

Planned Obsolescence. And they now make stuff that you cant service unless you bring it to a dealer. They arent looking to make things last anymore. Theyre making them for profit. Big business trying to screw....(grumble grumble grumble)

-
Back