Why do Mopar Engines Have a Different Sound From Chevys and Fords??

-
Its true!!!! You get it too Lance!!!

I love how my 340 engines sound, my 340 in my 74 Satellite has a .509 lift cam and 2 1/2" full dual exhaust, Heddman X-pipe and Flowmasters...I have been told 100's of times that car sounds great! The best is when I am driving through a crowd, someone always says "man, that sucker sounds mean" :glasses7: I also go to car shows a little late and leave early, just so people can hear how sexy my cars sound!!! :D

Sorry, a built up, cammed up 340 is just damn sexy :prayer:

How do you like the 508/292 cam in the 340 performance wise?

How do you like the 508/292 cam in the 340 performance wise?

Mine works great! I have a Eddy air gap intake, stock x-heads, 750 vac sec Holley, 3,500 B&M stall, 3.91 gears, that big 74 B-body runs really strong with that combo.

I have an Isky .505 cam in my 340 in the Valiant, that cam has the old school grind and is a different animal, only regret is that I didn't go with a solid cam in that engine....but will eventually. :glasses7:

You can always hear a Mopar, nothing sounds better than a built up, cammed up Mopar, especially with open headers :glasses7:
when I had my 340 with the huge cam and 11:1 compression (cheap headers into walker turbo mufflers, ending in the original tips under the bumper) it was the best sounding car I've ever heard. Amazing.
There was a '55 Chevy in town with a similarly built 350, and while the cam in my car sounded great, the chevy just sounded like it was an inch away from dying.
Chevy and Fords can sound good, but rarely do IMO, especially when they run with open headers it sounds like the exhaust is underwater, just some lame bubbling gurgle sound....what the hell is with that
the way I've always thought about it, is that they sound like the exhaust is falling out the bottom half of the pipe and landing on the ground-sort of backs up the way you describe it as a gurgling sound:D

here are the two setups lol 5k 350 motor alone and 2500 total on my duster so far but when i finally finished his z car 3 weekends after i got the block back from the machine shop its actually is a cool car now lol i usually hate z cars. but he still agrees mine sounds better lol the second pic of the z is him checking where i had to cut little tabs out of his body to fit the pipes right wasnt too happy until i showed him why lol.

Attachments

• fjthtd.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 203
  • hfdhdg.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 205
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 173
Back in the day it used to be that the whine of the starter announced another Mopar is coming to life. Then I would listen for the pitch of the engine to tell me small block or big block. Sometimes I would be pleasantly surprised when I had the engine wrong.

Now it is a 50/50 chance that I can guess right.

Man, I gotta put the 340 in the Duster and fire it up next to the 383 in the Polara and hear the difference!!!

They all have their own distinct sound. Its no different than with the old farm tractors that I grew up with. If you listen you can tell what manufactureing company
is coming down the road.

I think and have to say a big bore with a short stroke and large valves makes the best sound...oh ya and lots of overlap and compression

66,stay Isky.Check out the Z-30 solid.Good match,with a 4 speed and a tunnel ram.

66,stay Isky.Check out the Z-30 solid.Good match,with a 4 speed and a tunnel ram.

Cool, I will look into that one....I will definetly stay with Isky, I love the cam I have now so I know a solid cam from them will kick a$$ too, thanks for the info :glasses7:

.Freakin Waggin!(LOL). You are welcome 66.Stay with a cam company you know.Makes tuning so much easier.

-
Back