Why does the left rear hang low ???

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
My Duster sits quite a bit lower on the left side when looking at it from the rear.. The battery is in the trunk, and for some reason I can't remember it was mounted on the left side. (maybe so the jack could stay in the car on the right side?) I can't believe that the weight of the battery would cause the car to sag that much though... The leaf springs have been changed ..

I thought I read somewhere about how to level this off, but can't find the thread.. Anyone help me out here ??

Thanks,

-Kenny

If it has been like that for 30 yrs, could the front torsion bars have an effect? Kind of a wedge type deal? That battery won't help any, or the driver, no matter how fit they are. You could maybe put some coil-overs on to help adjust the heights.

If the left rear is low the right front is high. Great thing about torsion bars is ride hiegth can be re adjusted over and over again. Coil springs (GM) need spacer blocks between the coils.

BOOOOOOO!:wack:

When I worked on a used car lot, a 90 Monte Carlo from dealer auction.
I found 6 of those blocks in the left front spring and it still sit crooked.
The stabilizers end kit was bent bad (accident) so that bar is what was twisting the cars posture.
I think I still have a couple of those 6 blocks since none were needed.

If the left rear is low the right front is high. Great thing about torsion bars is ride hiegth can be re adjusted over and over again. Coil springs (GM) need spacer blocks between the coils.

How do you lower the right front torsion bar ?? I must be confused on my parts here, cause it seems the torsion bars could only adjust fore and aft.. Sorry to show my ignorance, but can someone tell me how to do this in laymans terms ??

Thanks

Do you have super stock springs? they cause the passenger side to sit a little higher due to the extra leaf on that side. You said you springs had been changed. Maybe you have ss leafs?

Do you have super stock springs? they cause the passenger side to sit a little higher due to the extra leaf on that side. You said you springs had been changed. Maybe you have ss leafs?

Finally... I waited to see how long it would take before someone mentioned that. ( extra spring on the right side) See if you can find some numbers on the springs. Both sides because they will have different part numbers.

Mount the battery on the right side always the weight of the battery will lower it maybe enough to level it out. The battery on the right side is better for traction verus left side.

The lower control arms have a threaded adjuster that applies pressure to the torsion bar. They are located about halfway up on the bottom of the arms. You have to almost get right up under the arm to see them. Standard threads so turning it clockwise will run the adjuster in applying more pressure and raising it up. CCW will do just the opposite. After adjustment you need to work the suspension to settle it. I know there are specs for setting them up but I threw those out the window when I upgraded from 13" to 15" tires and wilwood discs. I just use the fender lip to the ground as a reference from side to side to set it up. I know there is a correct method to set up ride height but, this way works for me. It takes a 3/4" socket. Don't be suprised if the adjusters are hard to turn. I would spray them with some penetrating fluid first.

I copied and pasted this.

The correct method of measurement has no bearing on appearance. The Factory suggests measuring from the bottom of the lower ball joint to the ground, then from the bottom of the outside diameter of the lower control arm bushing to the ground on each side , one at a time. On each side the difference between the two measurements should usually be 2 inches, give or take an eighth of an inch. In other words, the distance to the ground on one side in both cases should be compared, then the other side the same thing. Also remember to bounce the car before making the measurement. Additional reasons for high speed stability problems include weak or Over arched rear springs and poor strut bar bushings in front . Incorrect tires and or tire pressure will contribute to the phenomenon. Poor alignment will most certainly contribute. Remember, everything in the way of looseness is magnified as a consequence of speed.

This will help you determine each sides height on the front of the car. Ex. Ball joint to floor is 9 1/2" the LCA bushing to floor is 11"

11" - 9 1/2" = 2 1/2"

Battery is probably on the left side because the starter is on the left also

Battery is probably on the left side because the starter is on the left also

That could be too, shorter cables .. I wish I could remember but it was so long ago.. I think wanting to keep the spare tire and jack in its proper place might have been part of it too...

The lower control arms have a threaded adjuster that applies pressure to the torsion bar. They are located about halfway up on the bottom of the arms. You have to almost get right up under the arm to see them. Standard threads so turning it clockwise will run the adjuster in applying more pressure and raising it up. CCW will do just the opposite. After adjustment you need to work the suspension to settle it. I know there are specs for setting them up but I threw those out the window when I upgraded from 13" to 15" tires and wilwood discs. I just use the fender lip to the ground as a reference from side to side to set it up. I know there is a correct method to set up ride height but, this way works for me. It takes a 3/4" socket. Don't be suprised if the adjusters are hard to turn. I would spray them with some penetrating fluid first.

THAT'S what I'm looking for, thanks !! I'll have to try this out .

Just wanted to thank you guys !! My Duster is sitting nicely for the first time that I can remember .. I got those bolts freed up and the adjustment was a breeze.. It was so far off I had to back off the right front 12 full turns to get the rear end level, and then tweaked it from there...

I noticed a couple rubber bushings about the size of a golf ball on the upper control arms that look like there's just a bolt holding it on to keep metal from touching metal.. One is shot .. Anyone have a source to get new ones? I know the upper and lower control arm bushings were changed..

Thanks,

Kenny
oh, and no ss springs.. same amount of leafs both sides

-
Back