Why don't my heater get hot

-

'71 Dart Custom

Advocate of the Slant
Reaction score
The question is more involved than that, of course. 71 Dart, 225 /6. Just replaced thermostat and flushed the cooling system. Temp gauge reads 170 and both heater hoses are plenty hot. this car had a/c when I got it but it didn't work so I took it all off. looking under the hood, It's like it never had a/c. Under the dash is a different story. It has the push button controls but they are no good. I need to figure out how the heater temp control works. If I could just run a remote choke cable to adjust temp I would be happy. I'll go even further. If I can just get the heater to blow as hot as possible I'll wire the lever in place and put a shut off valve in the heater hose under the hood. Whatever, I'm easy. I'm not trying to restore the car, just wanna get warm. My fan blows good, btw.

I forgot to mention that someone apparently removed the original cable that goes to the temp control on the dash. That's why I can't figure it out.

I forgot to mention that someone apparently removed the original cable that goes to the temp control on the dash. That's why I can't figure it out.

Will this help?

heater_box_Medium_.jpg

You may have already done this but I've had this problem to, Problem was the heater core was partcialy cloged. I took both heater hoses off and hooked garden hose to one fitting with hot water and tap preasure and flushed until it ran clear. then put hoses back on and presto I had heat. Well worth a try if yo haven't already.

It could be a number of problems that can keep you from getting heat. Like junior said, a plugged or partially plugged heater core, the water control valve, or the flaps, servos, blend door controls in the heater suitcase. You can make it like a non-A/C car and remove the water control valve and run hot water through the heater core all the time. You'll still have to get the controls for the heater suitcase working though so the correct flaps open. They're run by vacuum lines and servos so the push button control needs to work you you'll have to bypass it and manually open the right ones.

I flushed the heater core Thursday, also bypassed control valve. I'm convinced the problem is behind the dash. The fan is blowing out the bottom vent so if I can just control the temp adjustment I'll be satisfied. I'd like to have a defroster but it's not crucial. I'm thinking if I pull the glovebox I'll be able to get a better idea of what I'm facing.

you need the cables to hold the door in position and there should be a vac hose coming out of the fire wall somewhere, that has to be hooked up...both of these things have to be hooked up to have the heater working.

you don't need the inline valve in the heater hose, thats for a/c...to keep the flow of hot water out of the core when a/c is on.

Will this help?

heater_box_Medium_.jpg

Thanks, this helped. The cardboard glovebox liner was in bad shape anyway so I yanked it and lo and behold there was the temp door lever. Turns out it was set on cold. I flipped it the other way and damn that heater gets hot. Nice to know that after 2 winters with no heat. Oh, well. Problem solved. I have no problem opening the glovebox to adjust the heater. Works for me!

Thanks, this helped. The cardboard glovebox liner was in bad shape anyway so I yanked it and lo and behold there was the temp door lever. Turns out it was set on cold. I flipped it the other way and damn that heater gets hot. Nice to know that after 2 winters with no heat. Oh, well. Problem solved. I have no problem opening the glovebox to adjust the heater. Works for me!

Great news Dart....I'm glad you've got some heat.

Presto :cheers: I just love this site 8)
Yall got the Loyal Dodge Man warm for the winter
Welcome if I missed you in the welcome wagon '71 Dart Custom :happy10:

Yeah, that's my 2nd presto moment thanks to this sight. I'm starting to dig the sh** out of FABO. My car is better and my understanding of it is better. I'm kinda shut off here in the backwoods of east Tx. Not much old Mopar knowledge around here. You folks have more than made up for that in a short time. Once again, many thanks all around.:cheers:

Even though this is solved, one more thing to add.

My first car was a 73 Satellite with a 318. The heater never worked, even after replacing the core. Years later, when I yanked the engine, i found out why.
Where the heater hose goes back into the engine, it was completely clogged with rust.
Strange that the car never ran hot, but the hoses would get warm. I just gave up and froze. I was 16.

I remember hearing stories from older guys about how they were stationed overseas and freezing. All they could think about was how hot the heater in there old Ford, Chevy, Chry', back home was. You can't get that hairdryer like heat from the new cars. Happy moparing

-
Back