why is 4.5 better than the 4 1/4

-
availability of wheels...

more for 5 x 4.5 then 5 on 4.....

Yes, a 7/16 stud is weaker than a 1/2 stud. But the main reason is as stated above, is wheel avalibility

i see ... at what point would you want to use the big pattern? what situation or conditions?

I would switch to 4.5" at the earliest opportunity or excuse to do so for a variety of reasons, headlined by strength
and wheel choice. The bigger bolt circle and the bigger diameter wheel stud both contribute greatly to the overall
strength. Look at a late model Toyota Tundra some time. Massive Dana-like differential with an almost 12" ring
gear but yet only 5 stud wheels. But the studs are huge and the bolt circle is almost 6" - very strong.

My youngest brother probably wouldn't have cornered 2/3 of the worlds supply of 4" BC wheels if he had thought
more about it at the outset.

That said, if you have some 4" wheels that you really like and want to run you can get Moser to make you a set
of H.D. axles with stud holes for both patterns - all with 1/2" studs.

Even HemiDenny's first (FJ5) Hemi Duster with the aluminum headed 472" Ray Barton Hemi was so equipped
as is the 446" '72 wedge car now.

I would switch to 4.5" at the earliest opportunity or excuse to do so for a variety of reasons, headlined by strength
and wheel choice. The bigger bolt circle and the bigger diameter wheel stud both contribute greatly to the overall
strength. Look at a late model Toyota Tundra some time. Massive Dana-like differential with an almost 12" ring
gear but yet only 5 stud wheels. But the studs are huge and the bolt circle is almost 6" - very strong.

My youngest brother probably wouldn't have cornered 2/3 of the worlds supply of 4" BC wheels if he had thought
more about it at the outset.

That said, if you have some 4" wheels that you really like and want to run you can get Moser to make you a set
of H.D. axles with stud holes for both patterns - all with 1/2" studs.

Even HemiDenny's first (FJ5) Hemi Duster with the aluminum headed 472" Ray Barton Hemi was so equipped
as is the 446" '72 wedge car now.

great input... thanks... love the wheels i have and fear the small pattern...didnt know the options ...now i do.
:farao:

History... Mopar "invented" the small bolt pattern for smaller, lighter cars using 13" wheels. Smaller hubs, smaller brakes, everything smaller and lighter for lower cost of manufacturing and better fuel economy. Forward thinking for 1959. Ten years later you had a horsepower race going on, and the decision wasn't looking so good. But it was the beancounters in accounting that got rid of it in 1973 -- didn't see the logic of supporting all those different hubs, wheels brakes and axles.

Look at it this way -- the Hemi Super Stock Barracudas and Darts were shipped with SBP wheels -- Mopar wasn't apparently too worried about that application. It's more that it makes it a pain to find wheels, than that it's a liability as far as strength.

The Hemi super stocks were delivered with 4 1/2" bolt pattern. No 4" pattern wheels on them.
Special hubs and wheels were used on those cars.
The only reason I would use the small pattern is to keep a cars appearance original.
I would use the KH 4 piston front disc even if it came with 10" drums stock.
I do like seeing the cars that are stock and have all the original brakes but I don't care to
drive them much with the front drums.

-
Back