Why is my oil pan bolt touching my drag link? Pic included.

-
The pan I have is the correct one for a later A body. Drain plug is in the same spot as yours.

I will take a measurement, but since the bolt is on the opposite side (oriented front to back) than the stocker, your saying your correct year pan has the bolt near the K member instead of facing the rear of the car?

I will take a measurement, but since the bolt is on the opposite side (oriented front to back) than the stocker, your saying your correct year pan has the bolt near the K member instead of facing the rear of the car?
No. You've not read what I said very well. It's facing the rear, just like yours. I think you need to look at the center link for being incorrect or installed wrong. But measure the oil pan first. It it's 9" from the rear lip of the pan to the sump at the drain plug, it's the same pan as mine and correct for your car. If it's more than that, the pan's wrong, but I'm betting the center link is suspect. I've seen them on backwards and upside down before.

No. You've not read what I said very well. It's facing the rear, just like yours. I think you need to look at the center link for being incorrect or installed wrong. But measure the oil pan first. It it's 9" from the rear lip of the pan to the sump at the drain plug, it's the same pan as mine and correct for your car. If it's more than that, the pan's wrong, but I'm betting the center link is suspect. I've seen them on backwards and upside down before.

You do realize there can be no interference if the bolt is in the other side of the pan though? I took a pic of my center link, trying to get it here to post, will in a few.

Can you see it in this pic okay ?

IMG_20220222_182113631.jpg

IMG_20220222_182122470.jpg

How do you install the center link backwards? Aren't the tapered holes gonna be .....backwards? you mean it was upside down?

How do you install the center link backwards? Aren't the tapered holes gonna be .....backwards? you mean it was upside down
The tapers are the same for the pitman and idler, correct direction or reversed.

The tierods would be backwards ie the inner tirod ends would be on the rear side of the center link.

yeah, but not backwards.....The taper would be in the other direction....well I guess I mean flipped so the drop would be a rise... Whatever

I am so turned around on this because of the smashed pan, Okay, it looks what I have now is the bottom right pan, and pretty sure the middle left is what I had, hard to tell so smashed on the bottom. I will bet money the pan I have on now is the bottom right. Without measuring of course at this time.

I am so turned around on this because of the smashed pan, Okay, it looks what I have now is the bottom right pan, and pretty sure the middle left is what I had, hard to tell so smashed on the bottom. I will bet money the pan I have on now is the bottom right. Without measuring of course at this time.
I cannot get my mind around why you can take a picture and not a measurement.

The pan you have I am betting a dollar is the pan on the top left in the picture above. Count the bolt holes starting from the corner. Look how far into the sump the third bolt hole is compared to the bottom right pan. The sump on your pan extends too far back.

How do you install the center link backwards? Aren't the tapered holes gonna be .....backwards? you mean it was upside down?
Backwards....upside down, inside out. Ok how bout WRONG.

At this point though, I think he has the wrong pan. Almost purt near 100% certain.

I have verified you have the wrong pan. Look at this first picture. Your picture. I put one mark at the fourth bolt hole from the rear corner and the other line at the rear side of the sump. Note how far into the sump that fourth bolt hole is.
OIL PAN.jpg

Now look at the 087 (late A body) pan. Note the same fourth bolt hole and the rear side of the sump's orientation to the same third bolt hole on the line I put on the pan in the lower right. See how far forward the sump is compared to yours? You have an early A body Pan, I believe. If you FINALLY measure, you will find the distance between the rear lip of the pan to the rear of the sump is less than the 9" I gave you for comparison WAY back there ^^^^^ somewhere. <rolls eyes>
SLANT OIL PANS.png

Last edited:
As soon as I saw dana67’s photo, it was pretty obvious what’s going on. To me any of the bottom 4 pans “should” work, & convinced OP has top left.
Anybody that’s into slants should probably print that picture and stick it in a file somewhere.

I have verified you have the wrong pan. Look at this first picture. Your picture. I put one mark at the fourth bolt hole from the rear corner and the other line at the rear side of the sump. Note how far into the sump that fourth bolt hole is.
View attachment 1715877194
Now look at the 087 (late A body) pan. Note the same fourth bolt hole and the rear side of the sump's orientation to the same third bolt hole on the line I put on the pan in the lower right. See how far forward the sump is compared to yours? You have an early A body Pan, I believe. If you FINALLY measure, you will find the distance between the rear lip of the pan to the rear of the sump is less than the 9" I gave you for comparison WAY back there ^^^^^ somewhere. <rolls eyes>
View attachment 1715877204

Sorry, have not been to the shop since I took these pics and posted last week. Won't get a chance until Sunday.

No, it's DEFINITELY bottom right I just put on it.

and 75% sure it's middle left I had on it.
Ok. It's 100% obvious to me that the pan is wrong. I'm sorry you don't see that. So, I am backing out. I hope you fix it.

Ok. It's 100% obvious to me that the pan is wrong. I'm sorry you don't see that. So, I am backing out. I hope you fix it.

Oh, you are DEFINITELY right it's the wrong, pan, no doubt in my mind, it's just which wrong pan LOL.

This happens in Hawaii a lot, for several reasons. I will run this pan until I switch out to the 225 sometime later this year. I will get the correct pan before installing the 225!

Oh, you are DEFINITELY right it's the wrong, pan, no doubt in my mind, it's just which wrong pan LOL.

This happens in Hawaii a lot, for several reasons. I will run this pan until I switch out to the 225 sometime later this year. I will get the correct pan before installing the 225!
I think it's the early A body pan. I am almost 100% certain. I'll trade you one that'll work for you for it.

I think it's the early A body pan. I am almost 100% certain. I'll trade you one that'll work for you for it.
Definitely, you bet. Bit of a logistics problem though, will talk on PM later?

I absolutely believe you are right- the guy has three early A bodies, but swore this motor came out of a later A body. Which it might have, the franken-builds here are part of outer island life.

Definitely, you bet. Bit of a logistics problem though, will talk on PM later?

I absolutely believe you are right- the guy has three early A bodies, but swore this motor came out of a later A body. Which it might have, the franken-builds here are part of outer island life.
Well, you've proof it FITS, it just doesn't work quite right. LOL

Well, you've proof it FITS, it just doesn't work quite right. LOL
This is correct on so many levels in Hawaii. You should see a couple of my franken jeeps. You remember that song by Johnny Cash with the caddy he brought home piece by piece? Okay, now throw three different brands in the lunch box as well.

well back in the AMC days that's how they built Jeeps anyway. GM or Mopar trans, Ford ignition, alternator and starter, AMC's own engine, some Motorola stuff, a hodge podge.

-
Back