Why you should always check...

-

18teener

Reaction score
My 318 was bought as a rebuilt engine. It had all the machining done and had some good parts with it. However, I always check unknown work and always intended to strip and go through it. The first clue was the 1/8" wear ring on the oil pump shaft and a poor attention to cleanliness.
Today I split the externally clean oil pick up...
oil pickup1.jpg

oil pickup2.jpg

It was also about an inch off the pan.

I always replace the oil pickup when I rebuild an engine. 65'

Always, and I mean Always remove oil pan and at least one head (i do the two) after buying a rebuild engine.
I bought a 360 back in the late 80es and the guy I bought it from got half way mad when he visited and seen a new rebuild he done on the 360, everything checked out but low and behold I found two rod caps was not TQ ed down, I just told my friend that I had time on my hands and gaskets to double check ..

It also had a new Howards cam with 4 new and 12 old lifters!
The oil pick up was idle curiosity but it was so easy to dismantle that I cleaned it in my hot ultrasonic bath and rebuilt it.

Oil pickups are so cheap! I wonder what else is wrong?

I'm in the UK so there is a premium, but yes, still cheap. As I'm retired I have plenty of time to mess about and be a cheap ***.
RRR there's nothing else wrong, I've been through the block, all good now including KB pistons instead of the "where are they down the hole" rebuilders that were in it. Just the heads to sort and I expect to find worn guides and a crap valve job plus worn stock springs.

Man that pickup is ugly....and 1" off the pan? Plus the other issues. I'd say you averted disaster!

-
Back