Wide vs Narrow Stator

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
The square back Autozone Duralast alternator that was installed in September on 2016 was having a difficult time keeping up with the current demands over the past month. Especially when the ac was selected.
Had the alternator tested at AZ and they agreed that it was bad. The replacement alternator that they got for me, under warranty-no charge has a narrow stator band. From what I have read the wide stator band square back alternators are 60 amp and the narrow stators are 78 amp. I called the reman 800 help line and they were clueless concerning narrow vs wide stators, from what the reman tech says they are all 60 amp.
So from the folks that know,, working from the scramble of parts that alternator reman companies work from, would a narrow stator get one a 78 amp alternator in a typical
ED5D088A-D8FD-4F01-9AAA-D75195FD9D17.jpeg
reman build?
The narrow stator is on the left, the wide stator alternator that lasted 4 years is on the right.

Stators with a just a narrow band showing are used on the revised squareback.
The revised squareback case is different and off the top of my head one of the brush holders and brushes is different.

They should know those two styles shouldn't really be interchanged. Yes it fits but the field draw is different and if that's something you want to try, cool, that's hot rodding. But IMHO when a replacement part company says an interchange is OK when there actually are differences that are potentially damaging, that's not cool at all.

Many reman alternators I have gotten of late came with a test slip showing the performance of the alternator, have you checked the box?

"I bet" the actual rebuilder(s)---the people that do the dirty work---are in Mehiho or some other Asian/ third world country. The days of a real by-Gawd local rebuilder, an old guy who has done this for decades and knows what he's looking at is over And Part no's mean little. Just because a tag is on something does not mean that is what it "is"

Stators with a just a narrow band showing are used on the revised squareback.
The revised squareback case is different and off the top of my head one of the brush holders and brushes is different.

They should know those two styles shouldn't really be interchanged. Yes it fits but the field draw is different and if that's something you want to try, cool, that's hot rodding. But IMHO when a replacement part company says an interchange is OK when there actually are differences that are potentially damaging, that's not cool at all.
I had the two alternators side by side and compared the two field connectors and the power out. Looked absolutely identical on the outside concerning the location, the height, placement of washers, everything I could see.

-
Back