Width of a rear?

-

MB43

Reaction score
I guy I know has a 9" that he's trying to get rid of. What width would I need to fit in my Duster, and how would I go about measuring it?

An a-body rearend is 57 1/8" drum to drum with a 43" spring pad width. Also an a-body rearend has equal length axles left and right so the pinion is offset to the right side of the car so it matches the engine being offset to the right. Most Ford rearends have unequal length axles so the pinion is centered in the car. This may or may not be of issue to you.

Chuck

Flange to flange is the best way.
You can go 1 or 1 3/4 wider per side than an A rear with Mopar rims no prob.
Moparts has some info in the tech archives.
Google rear widths too.
Wide is better. I can send you some pics. PM me you email if you want to see what a Diplomat rear looks like.
See this tread too.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=26201

An a-body rearend is 57 1/8" drum to drum with a 43" spring pad width. Also an a-body rearend has equal length axles left and right so the pinion is offset to the right side of the car so it matches the engine being offset to the right. Most Ford rearends have unequal length axles so the pinion is centered in the car. This may or may not be of issue to you.

Chuck

Is that from the inside of the drum or the outside?

If I had to cut the rear down, I could have it done offset so it'd work properly, right?

Outside were the wheel mounts. Yes, you could build offset into a rearend. The reason I mentioned it may or may not be of issue is because some guys have put centered pinion rears in their cars and they report that there is no ill effects (no issue). But for me it would be of issue and would use an offset pinion in my car.

Chuck

Good thing Chuck gave you a better answer.
I’m not used to Fordinstein cars.
I hadn’t even thought about you having to keep the Ford brakes.
You need drum to drum for what you are figuring.

According to one of the charts on this site the A-Body 8 3/4" is 51.4". (Same as the 8 1/4). The 57" dimension appears to be for the B bodies. I know that the B body rears have been put in the A bodies, but these already are wider then what came in the A's. If you go with the 57" and go wider I'm thinkin' there might be an issue.

According to one of the charts on this site the A-Body 8 3/4" is 51.4". (Same as the 8 1/4). The 57" dimension appears to be for the B bodies. I know that the B body rears have been put in the A bodies, but these already are wider then what came in the A's. If you go with the 57" and go wider I'm thinkin' there might be an issue.

That chart lists the housing flange width not axle flange width.

Chuck

I just passed on what was supposed to be a 66 Charger rear this weekend.
I knew the widest that I wanted under the car.
I got conflicting measurements off the net, so I tried to get the fellow to give me a measurement flange measurement before I took the drive. But since the drums were on the axels that was impossible.

I will post pictures of the method that I devised tomorrow if I remember. It told me exactly what I needed to know. You will be able to compare apples to apples.

(The rear was wider than it was supposed to be by almost three inches. I was looking for 54 ¼ flange)
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

it' dependant....with the way import offsets are..you could just get a major offsetted rim...

Ok, I think this is what Chuck was saying.
Measure where the wheels go on.
(This is an A body 8 1/4)
I used the axel register to determine that the B rear the guy had wouldn't work for my Duster.
That should be a positive reference.
That is unless the register is a lot thicker on a Ford.
(Is it the same diameter so the hole in a Chrysler rim will fit?)
Then the drum face would be the thing.
I wanted no wider than 61 inches. The B body was 62 1/2.
A Diplomat rear mesures 61 and with 215/70R15 on cop rims the tires scraped
with a load in the car untill I built some heavier springs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

-
Back